Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 850
  1. #376
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,084
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    It is business, and inexperience is unprofessional. Lock needs to make it out of the preseason healthy and put it the work. That’s what I expect out of every player on this team.
    If and when the last 4 games become irrelevant, that's when the work for next season begins. You play the guy who is to be the future. It may suck for everyone else, but the QB is the most important position on the field. Seeing what works and doesn't work for him in real time situations is what is important now. If they are unfortunate enough to be in a spot where that can happen this season, they need to take advantage of it. It helps to build for next season.

  2. #377
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Where does this notion that Brandon Allen is a better QB than Lock come from?
    Right now he is on the roster while Lock is on IR.

  3. #378
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    If and when the last 4 games become irrelevant, that's when the work for next season begins. You play the guy who is to be the future. It may suck for everyone else, but the QB is the most important position on the field. Seeing what works and doesn't work for him in real time situations is what is important now. If they are unfortunate enough to be in a spot where that can happen this season, they need to take advantage of it. It helps to build for next season.
    Give me an example of a qb that played the last four games and then helped his team the next year? To me if you turn our last 4 games into ď can Lock playĒ the rest of the team is going to check out.

  4. #379
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,424
    Appreciate the feed back. I will wait to see what they do and hopefully what we choose to do is best for the team.
    Iím looking forward to Lock but i can wait til preseason next year.

  5. #380
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,221
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I want us to bring back Tim Patrick and Theo Riddick.
    Patrick is a standout ST player and I we need a third receiver.
    Riddick is listed as a RB but he will be the slot receiver we are missing.
    Bringing Lock back doesnít make sense. The kid doesnít know our offense and that is where he needs to work. Next year he should get all the preseason snaps and year 3 he should get an opportunity to compete for the starting job.
    Bottom line he couldnít beat out Flacco in the preseason and Flacco will be back based on the contract restructure, Iím not saying I agree with that but it is what it is.
    Next year Lock should come into camp and take the job like Russell Wilson did in Seattle as a rookie.

    I keep hearing that he should come back so he can play this year and that way if he canít play we can draft a QBs in 2020........what!! ???
    Sorry i donít want Lockís only shot at being our future based on a season where he was injured half of it and then thrown into a new offense. Lock is our future qb, 2020 is where we fill holes on our OL, DL, ILB, CB, WR. If we draft where a big time Qb is available their will be teams willing to send us additional value picks and Scangerello and Fangio can fill the holes they need.

    Never want the culture of this team to sit better players to see what guys can do, thatís how a team loses a locker room especially at QB.
    I Concurr!

    It would not be fair to lock, to toss him to the wolves during clean up duty at the end of the season.

    If we bring back Patrick and Riddick, it only strengthens our offense. With Jano back and both Freeman and Lindsey healthy, Riddick will only add to the up the middle power schemes by adding another dimension to the outside with an outside zone.

    Letís get them all (Jano, Lindsey, and Riddick) on the field at once with Riddick in the slot!

    Great signing by Elway if they can make this work and if all these guys are healthy and playing well then their is zero shot of drafting a QB high in 2020.

  6. #381
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,600
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Right now he is on the roster while Lock is on IR.
    Would Allen had been brought in if Lock didnít get hurt?

  7. #382
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,221
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Would Allen had been brought in if Lock didnít get hurt?
    Most likely not with Rypien on the practice squad but at this point I think Allen is a greater value to us right now than Lock would be! I wouldnít mind Lock staying on IR. He canít practice but he can sure study and perhaps go the virtual reality route if the broncos made it available which Iíve heard that they have!

  8. #383
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Most likely not with Rypien on the practice squad but at this point I think Allen is a greater value to us right now than Lock would be! I wouldnít mind Lock staying on IR. He canít practice but he can sure study and perhaps go the virtual reality route if the broncos made it available which Iíve heard that they have!
    I donít see it. Allen isnít the future, he likely isnít even in on the future backup QB job. He was brought in due to similarities between McVayís and Scangerelloís schemes despite throwing 0 TDs and 3 INTs against 2nd and 3rd stringers this past preseason in his 3rd or 4th season.

    And why bring Riddick and Patrick back for that matter? Riddick likely only gets 8-15 plays a game, and heís likely taking those from Lindsay who has been a decent receiver as has Freeman. Actually Booker is a better receiver than Freeman and Lindsay and he hasnít even seen the field. If you play him at slot whatís the point of bringing back Patrick? Where does Patrick fit in? 10-20 snaps a game on the outside? Sutton has played well from the slot, Sanders can play there, the team is stuck on Hamilton playing there and I wouldnít want Riddick over any of them. Riddick has no future here either, keep him on IR.

    I just donít think bringing both of these players back this season makes much sense in the long term. Having Lock able to get physical reps in practice will benefit the team more in the long run, not to mention heíd get the chance to build chemistry with a guy like Patrick who will likely be starting next season once Sanders is gone.

  9. #384
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,084
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Give me an example of a qb that played the last four games and then helped his team the next year? To me if you turn our last 4 games into “ can Lock play” the rest of the team is going to check out.
    Jared Goff started the last 6 games, then lead team to Super Bowl. Peyton's brother took over for Warner in his 10th game, won 2 Super Bowls. It can happen. And if players want to check out, that's their own personal performance they're putting on film for the rest of the league. There is no perfect storm of situations in Denver to start him. So, why not when it technically doesn't count?

  10. #385
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    This notion that high draft pick QBs need to win a QB competition to start playing is something Iíve seen lots of Bronco fans put forward in recent years to defend the teamís poor handling of young QBs. Itís not rooted in reality or the history of the NFL though. Most highly drafted QBs are just given the job, and they are rarely the best QB on the roster when it happens. The idea is that players learn better by playing in actual games, and the team learns sooner if theyíve found their guy or not. The only reason to play a sub-par veteran over a high draft pick rookie is if you are actually trying to make the playoffs.
    The four best quarterbacks in the NFL; Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes (minus 1 game his rookie year) all sat at least a season before taking over as a starter. The notion that young QBs have to start right away to be successful is not rooted in fact.

    We can speculate all day what is better for a QB, to be thrown in the fire or to sit and learn. If the staff feels Lock is ready and earns the job, I'm sure he will play but there is nothing wrong with him sitting and learning behind Flacco until he is ready.

  11. #386
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Jared Goff started the last 6 games, then lead team to Super Bowl. Peyton's brother took over for Warner in his 10th game, won 2 Super Bowls. It can happen. And if players want to check out, that's their own personal performance they're putting on film for the rest of the league. There is no perfect storm of situations in Denver to start him. So, why not when it technically doesn't count?
    I will give you credit that is a good argument. Based on that thinking should we also bench Von, Harris, Wolfe, Shelby, Davis, etc. for younger players too?
    "Criticism is a privilege that you earn--it shouldn't be your opening move in an interaction."

  12. #387
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,424
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    The four best quarterbacks in the NFL; Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes (minus 1 game his rookie year) all sat at least a season before taking over as a starter. The notion that young QBs have to start right away to be successful is not rooted in fact.

    We can speculate all day what is better for a QB, to be thrown in the fire or to sit and learn. If the staff feels Lock is ready and earns the job, I'm sure he will play but there is nothing wrong with him sitting and learning behind Flacco until he is ready.
    Couldnt agree more!!!! I get the impression some feel like if Lock doesnt start this year he will be worse next year. That doesnt make sense to me. Next year Lock will come in knowing 100% more than last year.
    He will hopefully have met with Flacco, Sutton, and Fant along with other returning guys to work on chemistry and will get the majority of the preseason playing time. And if he balls put who knows win the job or at least put Flacco on a short leash. Right now he hasnt done anyhing due to the injury.

  13. #388
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,084
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I will give you credit that is a good argument. Based on that thinking should we also bench Von, Harris, Wolfe, Shelby, Davis, etc. for younger players too?
    Did they draft Von's replacement or either of those other guys replacements in the 1st or 2nd round? Based on that kind of thinking, why would they draft a LB or D-Line, or CB? Should they just wait for them to retire and then address it? Do you expect all of those players to finish out their contracts and never get cut/waived, traded? Denver has been lacking in the QB department for 4 seasons in a row. Saying you have a serviceable QB is no reason to keep a guy you spent a high draft pick on sitting on the bench IMHO.

  14. #389
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,221
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I donít see it. Allen isnít the future, he likely isnít even in on the future backup QB job. He was brought in due to similarities between McVayís and Scangerelloís schemes despite throwing 0 TDs and 3 INTs against 2nd and 3rd stringers this past preseason in his 3rd or 4th season.

    And why bring Riddick and Patrick back for that matter? Riddick likely only gets 8-15 plays a game, and heís likely taking those from Lindsay who has been a decent receiver as has Freeman. Actually Booker is a better receiver than Freeman and Lindsay and he hasnít even seen the field. If you play him at slot whatís the point of bringing back Patrick? Where does Patrick fit in? 10-20 snaps a game on the outside? Sutton has played well from the slot, Sanders can play there, the team is stuck on Hamilton playing there and I wouldnít want Riddick over any of them. Riddick has no future here either, keep him on IR.

    I just donít think bringing both of these players back this season makes much sense in the long term. Having Lock able to get physical reps in practice will benefit the team more in the long run, not to mention heíd get the chance to build chemistry with a guy like Patrick who will likely be starting next season once Sanders is gone.
    You must be in the minority that wants to ďrush Lock into the game just to see if heís the future or not so we can draft TuaĒ.

    I did not say that Allen was the ďfutureĒ, I donít know where you guys get your nerve to make such assumptions, Iíd take the time to teach you but I really donít care what you understand or donít...

    Allen is better for the team right now because and as I originally stated, heís an experienced vet that allows us to carry two capable QBs on the active roster rather than just one.

    Lock isnít experienced enough and if you had to toss him to the wolves right now, you only be turning him into David Carr!

    Like I already said, that is not fair to lock!

  15. #390
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    9,272
    There's a difference between sitting him behind Flacco and keeping him on IR. Keeping him on IR means he has no involvement with the team. No practice, team meetings, and no coaching. Essentially you are throwing away his rookie season of development for Tim Patrick or Theo Riddick who are not pro bowl impact players. That delay in development affects not just next year, but his entire stay here as a Bronco.

    In my mind, the only way for that to be feasible is if by week 10 we are 5-4. Otherwise this is an extremely shortsighted move.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •