Page 131 of 152 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2266
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post
    Well at least most of us agree that Lock should be the starter going into next season. Say what you will about the odds of him becoming ďeliteĒ; it still speaks volumes that we finally have a QB going into the offseason.
    I donít think we need an elite quarterback. A team can win a lot of games with solid play from the quarterback, protecting the ball and good run production. Back the offense up with a solid defense and a team is in the hunt for the playoffs. Itís great to have an elite quarterback but not required.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I think Brandon Allen gave us quality backup reps in his first appearances in the NFL this season, and they were comfortable going the first half of the season with him as the only other active quarterback on game days. I wouldn't waste a pick on anyone at quarterback as I think Allen can be that guy, and I think he proved that as well.
    Agreed. Totally fine with Allen. Did a decent/fair job when in this year IMHO, and seems reasonably well-suited to the offense (i.e. could put him in in a pinch w/o throwing whole playbook out). Plus- would be cool to me to have an olí SEC duo (Missouri & Arkansas) in the QB room.

PS Interestingly his draft comp coming out in Ď16 was Keenum. Not bad (IMHO) for a back-up...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...se-quarterback

Coach Vic Fangio hopeful Drew Lock is Broncos' franchise quarterback

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With one game to go in what has been a frustrating season for the Denver Broncos, coach Vic Fangio said Monday the team is "looking" for Drew Lock to be the franchise's quarterback of the future.

The Broncos (6-9) have gone 3-1 in Lock's four starts, including Sunday's 27-17 victory over the Detroit Lions. Fangio was asked whether the rookie quarterback had shown enough to be considered "the guy" moving into the offseason and into the 2020 season.

"He's done enough to show he definitely could be the guy, and we're looking for that to be the case," Fangio said.

While it may not be the fire-on-the-mountain declaration that many of the team's faithful, several of Lock's teammates or even Lock would want to hear, it is far more than any Broncos coach has said about the team's quarterback situation to close out a season since Peyton Manning retired in the weeks following the Super Bowl 50 win to finish the 2015 season.

Since then the Broncos have said, over and over again, that they would wait to see what the offseason would bring, including two years' worth of training camp battles between Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch in 2016 and 2017, Case Keenum signing as a free agent in March of 2018 and the trade for Joe Flacco last March. Flacco was placed on injured reserve after hurting his neck in Week 8.

"He's going out there and he's proving himself," running back Phillip Lindsay of Lock said after Sunday's win. "He's calm, cool and collected, and he understands what he needs to work on and what he's good at. The thing is, he can move out of the pocket and he's a game-changer. ... All I can say for Drew is, he's doing a hell of a job and he's going to only get better."

"There's just something about him," safety Justin Simmons said. "He has, and I hate saying the same word, he has that swag. He's a natural leader. Guys want to follow him, and he has that contagious spirit."

Many details are still to be worked out, such as Flacco's status, given that he has two years left on his contract, and the fact that Broncos president of football operations John Elway hasn't yet weighed in. (Elway has the final say on the franchise's football decisions.)

Lock is the seventh starting quarterback for the Broncos since Week 8 of the 2017 season. He returned to the roster from injured reserve Nov. 16 after missing the first 10 weeks of the season with a right thumb injury.

"I think the biggest jump he made, and I think I've said this before, was he really used that 10 weeks he was off to his advantage," Fangio said. "He learned more about the NFL, learned more about playing quarterback in the NFL, all the things that go into playing quarterback in the NFL, whereas I think in training camp he was a little bit inundated with everything. I think those 10 weeks were really beneficial to him."

Asked Monday what he wants to see from Lock in the season finale Sunday against the Raiders, Fangio said: "Just more good play, which he's done for the most part. But I think he's capable of more. Just being consistent. He's played good, but I think he can play better."

In his four starts, Lock is 83-of-128 passing (64.8 percent) for 843 yards to go with six touchdowns and three interceptions.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I donít think we need an elite quarterback. A team can win a lot of games with solid play from the quarterback, protecting the ball and good run production. Back the offense up with a solid defense and a team is in the hunt for the playoffs. Itís great to have an elite quarterback but not required.
    Totally agree. I personally think the ceiling is high for Lock, but it remains to be seen. Overall, the opportunity to have the starting QB position filled heading into the offseason is a very good thing.

I think with the right offensive coordinator you guys are 100% right, you don't need an elite quarterback. However, unless Scrangerello changes his philosophy, commits to the run game, doesn't abandon it immediately, and is willing to be patient throughout the course of games, then I don't see sub-par quarterback play succeeding in his offense. I liked the analogy someone had yesterday, Scrangerello can't do much with a Honda Civic, referring to the offensive talent at his disposal. Well, I think with a Honda Civic, if you realise that is what you have, then you can tailor your driving to get the most out of it. But trying to drive your Honda Civic like it's a Ferrari is going to be underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I think with the right offensive coordinator you guys are 100% right, you don't need an elite quarterback. However, unless Scrangerello changes his philosophy, commits to the run game, doesn't abandon it immediately, and is willing to be patient throughout the course of games, then I don't see sub-par quarterback play succeeding in his offense. I liked the analogy someone had yesterday, Scrangerello can't do much with a Honda Civic, referring to the offensive talent at his disposal. Well, I think with a Honda Civic, if you realise that is what you have, then you can tailor your driving to get the most out of it. But trying to drive your Honda Civic like it's a Ferrari is going to be underwhelming.
    Scangarello has also been hampered by the issues on the OL. With another off-season, and an addition or 3, I think the offense will start to to boom. It was going to be a multi-seasonal shift to the "Shannahan" style offense. I think Scangs is also going through his growing pains. I think when He and Lock can get in lock-step it will make major strides.

The offensive line is still an issue, as well as the receiving corps. It will be interesting to see how many O-linemen we draft for Leary and potentially James' replacement, or if we hold onto Wilkinson as a guard. McGovern will need to be paid as well, and I think he will be. For Drew Lock to be successful, we'll need at least one WR who can create separation aside from Sutton, and likely two new O-linemen.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Everyone is so worried about Drew Lock's footwork. I don't see it as a major concern. Favre, Rogers and other great QB's had footwork issues as well. Some people are just more talented than others and can make throws from awkward positions. Lock has made some of his best throws with his feet in bad positions. That's something that can be corrected but if not, I'm fine with it.
    Go Hard or Go Home

Quote Originally Posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
    Everyone is so worried about Drew Lock's footwork. I don't see it as a major concern. Favre, Rogers and other great QB's had footwork issues as well. Some people are just more talented than others and can make throws from awkward positions. Lock has made some of his best throws with his feet in bad positions. That's something that can be corrected but if not, I'm fine with it.
    For sure, Dak is praised for having good mechanics but still struggles with accuracy. I say if the kid makes plays and wins games what else really matters. He probably will never be picture perfect throwing the ball....... winning games that's what I care about

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    For sure, Dak is praised for having good mechanics but still struggles with accuracy. I say if the kid makes plays and wins games what else really matters. He probably will never be picture perfect throwing the ball....... winning games that's what I care about
    Winning games is all that matters now huh? Or winning games and throwing to wrs is what matters.

Bc you said something different earlier this year?
    We could have had Lamar Jackson *LJ for M.V.P*

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Scangarello has also been hampered by the issues on the OL. With another off-season, and an addition or 3, I think the offense will start to to boom. It was going to be a multi-seasonal shift to the "Shannahan" style offense. I think Scangs is also going through his growing pains. I think when He and Lock can get in lock-step it will make major strides.
    Another reason why his game plans, constant reliance on the passing game, and seemingly obsession with being pass first makes no sense. If anything these tendencies should have been altered when you consider he doesn't have the best group of talent to work with up front in pass protection, I don't see this as a reason to support Scrangerello, in fact another reason to question him.

Theyíre trying act like theyíre an expert, best to skip over those posts as most are just copying what somebody else said.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    He is spreading the ball around as well instead of being fixated on one player . Does that show that he is reading the D and going through his progressions?
    Not necessarily as not every play is going to have the same WR as the first read. But yes Lock does try to get through his reads even if he does get hung up on his first read at times. Scangerello also does a good job of scheming WRs open when he can as well as giving Lock half field reads which make it much easier on him.

Iíd like to take a second to highlight the rpo TD to Hamilton. We saw that play against the Vikings to Fant with Allen at QB and it ended up being short. The Lions actually played it pretty well just like the Vikings. The big difference was the feel for the defense by Lock vs Allen. Lock held the ball a tad longer to wait for it to open up, however if it hadnít opened up, Lock wouldíve been able to pull it and have a lead blocker to run it in. If Allen pulled it, Fant wouldíve crashed into Rhodes and Allen couldíve got the first running it. Something else, against the Vikings a WR went into motion and brought Rhodes into that gap, I donít think we had a WR motion that brought a DB into that gap, that shows some growth with Scangerello as a playcaller.

Footwork is very important to a QBís success. Just because Lock can make those throws doesnít mean he should try to do it consistently. Heís going to ruin his arm doing that just like Cam Newton has. But Lockís footwork isnít bad when the pocket is clean, itís pretty good then maybe just slightly off but not horrendous. Throwing off his back foot will get him in trouble but a lot of the time heís doing it to put touch on his throws and he actually changes his throwing motion to more of a sidearm delivery where the footwork isnít as important as an over the top release because his arm and where he releases the ball in that motion will have much more impact on where the ball goes rather than his feet. It still isnít good for his arm however.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Footwork is very important to a QBís success. Just because Lock can make those throws doesnít mean he should try to do it consistently. Heís going to ruin his arm doing that just like Cam Newton has. But Lockís footwork isnít bad when the pocket is clean, itís pretty good then maybe just slightly off but not horrendous. Throwing off his back foot will get him in trouble but a lot of the time heís doing it to put touch on his throws and he actually changes his throwing motion to more of a sidearm delivery where the footwork isnít as important as an over the top release because his arm and where he releases the ball in that motion will have much more impact on where the ball goes rather than his feet. It still isnít good for his arm however.
    Thereís a balance coaching toward perfection vs improvement and being effective. If Lock tries too much to be perfect in one area it can work against him, if that makes sense.

Even with a clean pocket thereís a tendency to not set his feet. That happened yesterday on the 3rd down throw to Booker (drooped). Itís like he senses pressure a fraction of a second before itís actually there and throws the ball. On that play the ball was definitely catchable but it could have been better IMO.