Page 31 of 116 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 1729
  1. #451
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    If Flacco is healthy why would you bench him?. Flacco has only played 5 games with this group and needs to continue to evolve in this offense and build chemistry with these guys, especially Fant and Sutton.

    The team restructured Flaccoís deal making it clear he will be the starter next year ( $23 million with $13 mil in dead money) thatís not what you pay a back up.

    My guess is from what they saw from Lock they knew Lock was going to need more time.
    If we keep losing and only scoring 18 ppg while Flacco remains one of the worst redzone QBs in the league, the answer as to why we would bench him would seem rather self-evident.

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,729
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    If Flacco is healthy why would you bench him?. Flacco has only played 5 games with this group and needs to continue to evolve in this offense and build chemistry with these guys, especially Fant and Sutton.

    The team restructured Flaccoís deal making it clear he will be the starter next year ( $23 million with $13 mil in dead money) thatís not what you pay a back up.

    My guess is from what they saw from Lock they knew Lock was going to need more time.
    Flaccoís restructure is irrelevant. Yes most backup QBs donít make that money, then again no starting QB not on their rookie deal will be making what Lock makes so it balances out. Thatís why Chicago and Seattle were comfortable going with the young QB rather than the vets they had just signed in the offseason.

  3. #453
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    And that doesn't mean they are right. Are you going to use Elways decision making when it comes to quarterbacks as a reason to support your argument ? Really ? NFL teams get it wrong on a consistent basis, as highlight by the amount of teams who went into the season over the last 3 years with veteran quarterbacks as starters, all who were apparently more ready, yet were on the bench by week 10 for a rookie who was playing better than they were.

    And it isn't just one rookie who replaced the veteran and outperformed them, it has been literally EVERY SINGLE example over the last 3 years where the young guy has looked better, is that not registering with you here ? Why the stubbornness. I just hope we don't have a stubborn head coach that when the season is over, which in 3 weeks, odds are it might be, sticks with the veteran, when the rest of the NFL will happily admit there mistakes, and turn it over to the young guy, who proves them right in making that decision.
    I hope are coach brings back the two IR players that can help the team the rest of the season.
    Tim Patrick and Theo Riddick would be the two i want to see.

  4. #454
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I hope are coach brings back the two IR players that can help the team the rest of the season.
    Tim Patrick and Theo Riddick would be the two i want to see.
    Even if the season is pretty much over by then?

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Flaccoís restructure is irrelevant. Yes most backup QBs donít make that money, then again no starting QB not on their rookie deal will be making what Lock makes so it balances out. Thatís why Chicago and Seattle were comfortable going with the young QB rather than the vets they had just signed in the offseason.
    I agree if Lock blew everybody away it wouldnít matter but the two examples donít really compare:
    Flynn was beaten out by Wilson before the season started. Lock wasnít on Flaccoís level.

    The Bears moved up to get Trubisky with the #2 overall pick.

  6. #456
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    Even if the season is pretty much over by then?
    Right now are season isnít over , if you want to discuss when we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs then Iíd be happy to discuss.

  7. #457
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I hope are coach brings back the two IR players that can help the team the rest of the season.
    Tim Patrick and Theo Riddick would be the two i want to see.
    Fair enough, to each their own. I personally hope to see the young quarterback play in the situation we are out of the playoff race, and to be fair, I would of agreed with you a few years ago here. This dated way of thinking and approaching quarterback development has been well and truly disproved over the years though, and for me, the examples of young quarterbacks playing without preparation, and doing well is too much to be ignored.

  8. #458
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,917
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    If Flacco is healthy why would you bench him?. Flacco has only played 5 games with this group and needs to continue to evolve in this offense and build chemistry with these guys, especially Fant and Sutton.

    The team restructured Flaccoís deal making it clear he will be the starter next year ( $23 million with $13 mil in dead money) thatís not what you pay a back up.

    My guess is from what they saw from Lock they knew Lock was going to need more time.
    Eli and Foles are making more than that and are backup's. If the young kid can out shine the flat footed vet then role with it, imo


    Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Eli and Foles are making more than that and are backup's. If the young kid can out shine the flat footed vet then role with it, imo
    And, in 10 situations over the last 3 years, every single situation where the young guy was thrown into the fire so to speak, and the veteran benched, the young guy in every situation has out performed the veteran, why people ignore this baffles me.

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BeelzeBob View Post
    If we keep losing and only scoring 18 ppg while Flacco remains one of the worst redzone QBs in the league, the answer as to why we would bench him would seem rather self-evident.
    The offense is improving, back to back weeks putting 17 up in the first half, after we only put up 13 in the 1st half of the first 3 games combined.

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    And, in 10 situations over the last 3 years, every single situation where the young guy was thrown into the fire so to speak, and the veteran benched, the young guy in every situation has out performed the veteran, why people ignore this baffles me.
    This is a very broad claim. By performance do you mean stats or the young guy took over and the team went on to win and go to the playoffs and succeed.

    Foles won a SB when the young guy got hurt
    Brady just beat two young guys on his way to another SB.
    Manning came in for our young guy and helped us win a SB

    Only Russell Wilson has beat out the old guy and won a Superbowl.
    Mahomes replaced the old guy but he did it the way I think we should deal with Lock.
    Tebow replaced the old guy and got us to the playoffs and then was replaced by an old guy.


    We can look at all the qb situations, but ours is different.
    I just hope we deal with it the right way.

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,729
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I agree if Lock blew everybody away it wouldnít matter but the two examples donít really compare:
    Flynn was beaten out by Wilson before the season started. Lock wasnít on Flaccoís level.

    The Bears moved up to get Trubisky with the #2 overall pick.
    Trubisky showed less in college than Lock and yet they benched Glennon 4 games into the season. Wilson was in an actual QB battle. Flacco was handed the job without a competition

  13. #463
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    This is a very broad claim. By performance do you mean stats or the young guy took over and the team went on to win and go to the playoffs and succeed.

    Foles won a SB when the young guy got hurt
    Brady just beat two young guys on his way to another SB.
    Manning came in for our young guy and helped us win a SB

    Only Russell Wilson has beat out the old guy and won a Superbowl.
    Mahomes replaced the old guy but he did it the way I think we should deal with Lock.
    Tebow replaced the old guy and got us to the playoffs and then was replaced by an old guy.


    We can look at all the qb situations, but ours is different.
    I just hope we deal with it the right way.
    Your examples are not even comparable, it's like we are talking a different language. We are talking about a veteran being in place, the team moving on from them during the season, going to a young guy with no off-season to prepare, and that young guy who apparently wasn't ready looking better than the veteran. And no, in the way that when the team turned to the rookie, they played, and have yet to be replaced, like every example I have been using. As I said in my posts above, if you were reading them, I wasn't saying they are all playing great, that wasn't my argument, just that they haven't been replaced yet, and they are out playing the veteran.

    Also, the Wilson example disqualifies your argument on draft positioning being important, another point you contradict yourself on, Mahomes doesn't qualify exactly as he had the full off-season to prepare, but he is one of the 3 examples in 15 years which supports your points, the Foles, Brady, and Manning examples are not even remotely similar, and if anything the Tebow arguments goes against what you are saying. Again, your version of "right" is not echoed by what is happening in the NFL recently, it's an old school approach with no consistent results to support it.

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Trubisky showed less in college than Lock and yet they benched Glennon 4 games into the season. Wilson was in an actual QB battle. Flacco was handed the job without a competition
    Wilson earned his job and has been awesome.
    Trubisky was given a job and I havenít been impressed but Glennon isnít very good either.

    Lock was great in college accept when he played Georgia and Bama. Kid went in the second round cause he needs work.

  15. #465
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,560
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Your examples are not even comparable, it's like we are talking a different language. We are talking about a veteran being in place, the team moving on from them during the season, going to a young guy with no off-season to prepare, and that young guy who apparently wasn't ready looking better than the veteran. And no, in the way that when the team turned to the rookie, they played, and have yet to be replaced, like every example I have been using. As I said in my posts above, if you were reading them, I wasn't saying they are all playing great, that wasn't my argument, just that they haven't been replaced yet, and they are out playing the veteran.

    Also, the Wilson example disqualifies your argument on draft positioning being important, another point you contradict yourself on, Mahomes doesn't qualify exactly as he had the full off-season to prepare, but he is one of the 3 examples in 15 years which supports your points, the Foles, Brady, and Manning examples are not even remotely similar, and if anything the Tebow arguments goes against what you are saying. Again, your version of "right" is not echoed by what is happening in the NFL recently, it's an old school approach with no consistent results to support it.
    Your right and neither are your comparisons.

    Find an example of a team that hired a new coaching staff and traded for a veteran Qb and drafted a second rd qb who didnít win the starting job and then got injured in the preseason, was brought back off IR week 8 and the team benched the starting QB once they were eliminated from the playoffs and he took over and was a success.
    You find that scenario and that would be the best comparison but even then it would be two different QBs and a different team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •