Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Told my self the same but then again im still reminded both Brock and Paxton had big arms too......
    Lock seems smart and appears to have a strong work ethic. He's arm is also stronger than Brock and Paxton. I think he will have a better career with the Broncos but he also has a really low bar to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Agreed!! He'll be fine
    "Tis but a flesh wound"

https://media3.giphy.com/media/D4rYT63c0Enja/source.gif
    Last edited by crabcruncher; 08-02-2019 at 11:22 AM.

I think there was some positives and negatives to Lockís first game.

Obviously the big negative was the accuracy. On 3 of the throws there was almost no stepping into the pass. Clean up footwork, build timing with receivers and he makes several big plays last night.

He seemed very comfortable with his reads on the front side of the formation, once 1 and 2 wasnít there. You could see the shakeyness/ unsureness whatís happening backside. It was very evident on the first sack he took. Hopefully with time and more knowledge of the playbook that fixes itself.

On the bright side I thought he did a very good job of recognizing the mis match, finding open receivers, and generally throwing it to the right guy on that particular play.

All in all, I come away pretty encouraged. You see the tools, and I think you see the mental aspect of the game isnít to much for him. Still needs growth but itís there. More time and fundamentals will go along way, excited to see next preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    All 4 of his incompletions looked like they could have been long TDs. Imagine the narrative shift if even just one of those connect? 100 yards on 11 passes and 70% completion on your first outing as a rookie? He had a fine night.
    This was his first game in the NFL, so being overly critical and projecting based on the performance is beyond stupid. But, this is all part of the evaluation, and I guarantee no coach, no player, no analyst of football would classify that first look as a "fine" performance. It was bad from almost every stand point, and he looked like he did in a lot of his college performances, lost and inconsistent with bad footwork. I love the what if game though. What if on the second throw of the game the defender makes the easy interception that Lock handed him ? A routine shot gun snap, 3 step drop, quick 12 yard out route with no pressure on him ? The footwork was horrible on that play and it shows that despite the big arm, the accuracy is bad a lot of the times because his footwork is a mess. I think Lock is a solid prospect, but I didn't see anything note worthy that I would list as a positive, not anything that separates him from any other backup quarterbacks you would typically watch in the pre-season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Wow. Talk about trying to reach a 100 foot ceiling with a 2 foot pole and claiming you hit it.

Lock had a terrible night. It is exactly what you should expect for a guy learning a pro offense for the first time in his life.

The arm talent is definitely there and I certainly think he can grow into a great player but let's stop trying to sugarcoat what happened.
    Couldn't agree more. Although I am not a believer in Lock, I want him to succeed, and this is only his 1st start in a very early preseason game. With that being said, the biggest worry was, and still is accuracy. This is something all three of Elway's reaches at QB have lacked. I'll give Lock a pass for last night due to being green and throwing to a rotation of WRs, but some of those routes are there to gain confidence and get the QB into a rhythm.

He will be fine. We have to lower our expectations while this kid is learning. We can't do the same thing we did to Paxton Lynch and expect him to be a superstar in his first four games.

To be honest it was not Drew Lockís fault that our True #1 Draft Pick Noah Fant does not have NFL legs just yet. Because if Noah Fant does run a bit faster that ball is in his Basket 🧺 for like a 40 Yard Throw and it was placed there perfectly. The future is bright for Drew just has I have said it should take about 2-3 Years to Become a True NFL QB.

The kid looked good but not great...Yet!

He's got the arm, he's got the smarts, he's got wheels. Now it's up to the coaches, the o-line and his receivers.

They've been together a couple of weeks, give it time.
    [

He looked like a raw rookie playing in his first game. The arm and athleticism are there, but the league is littered with guys who had the talent, but couldnít develop the next level execution to be quality starters.

I wasnít really discouraged by his performance. As many have pointed out, he made some good reads and just missed on a couple home run balls.

The kid is a raw rookie, plain and simple. He seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, but definitely needs to work on accuracy and execution. I think he has a good chance to develop based mostly on his natural talent and apparent good attitude.

We shall see.

I am one of the big Lock supporters, so I need to keep my bearings straight when I comment. I agree that accuracy needs to be worked upon, as will his sense of decision-making under pressure (which is a very typical rookie flaw). But I do love his ease at going long ball. It's like a comfort level, and that is not true of many young QBs. Some overthink it. He does it naturally, and on another day, 2 or 3 of those could have been long plays.

Yes, I like this kid. If he was chosen in the top 10, I would expect a wee bit more....but not much. And I like that he looks cool out there. And this is the point at which I give him a few more points. I think he will develop a little quicker than some, because he looks cool. Any good player who is restrained by their nerves/emotions, can be delayed in development. I sense this guy will take things as they come, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    All 4 of his incompletions looked like they could have been long TDs. Imagine the narrative shift if even just one of those connect? 100 yards on 11 passes and 70% completion on your first outing as a rookie? He had a fine night.
    Wow, He looked really, really bad. Not too far off from what I'd expect from a QB selected #42 overall. But still really, really bad. He looked like the #3QB which is what he is. I'm glad that we have Flacco and Hogan to put in front of him for now. Hogan is a good 'benchmark' for him to beat. Maybe some time this year even. I also hope Flacco lasts long enough (and Lock improves well enough) for Lock to beat Flacco out of the starting job down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Wow, He looked really, really bad. Not too far off from what I'd expect from a QB selected #42 overall. But still really, really bad. He looked like the #3QB which is what he is. I'm glad that we have Flacco and Hogan to put in front of him for now. Hogan is a good 'benchmark' for him to beat. Maybe some time this year even. I also hope Flacco lasts long enough (and Lock improves well enough) for Lock to beat Flacco out of the starting job down the line.
    Lock is a descent prospect and worthwhile project...I truly hope he succeeds. But for now, he looks every bit lost and confused, with far more bad throws and decisions than good. About what most would expect from him at this stage of his NFL career.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Putting this into perspective, Schaub, whoís going into his 15th season and is a former pro-bowler, looked worse than all the other QBs combined. Maybe heís just that bad at this point in his career, or maybe we shouldnít put much stock into the most pointless of all preseason games.

Lock was bad, it was disappointing, we all know that. But... the drops, penalties, and lack of pass protection didnít help, the offense couldnít ever get any momentum going at any point.

Thatís where the problem lies, unless they can fix the consistency issues on offense, donít expect different results from the last few years, regardless of who the QB is. They need to catch the ball, learn how to block, and stop the idiotic penalties, or else itís another year of the stuck in the mud offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Putting this into perspective, Schaub, who’s going into his 15th season and is a former pro-bowler, looked worse than all the other QBs combined. Maybe he’s just that bad at this point in his career, or maybe we shouldn’t put much stock into the most pointless of all preseason games.

Lock was bad, it was disappointing, we all know that. But... the drops, penalties, and lack of pass protection didn’t help, the offense couldn’t ever get any momentum going at any point.

That’s where the problem lies, unless they can fix the consistency issues on offense, don’t expect different results from the last few years, regardless of who the QB is. They need to catch the ball, learn how to block, and stop the idiotic penalties, or else it’s another year of the stuck in the mud offense.
    Good points.

I'm not expecting a whole lot, not with a whole new coaching staff that includes a rookie OC and so many new players including @QB. It's just not realistic for everything to work together perfectly overnight --it takes time to implement brand new systems and for players to develop chemistry with each other. It'll be a bonus (and good luck maybe) if some of this happens to gel quickly, but not holding my breath for that. I am confident that Munchak will have the line in order eventually though, and I will expect good results in 2020!

But the first preseason game (or even all of them this month) doesn't predict jack squat, not about Lock or anything else!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

I can't believe there are multiple people on this thread patting Lock on the back for his overthrows and counting them as close incompletions.