Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    As impressive as a winning drive in the first preseason game is...

I didn't see much to get excited about. I saw two young QBs who both played fairly bad, and showed they both have a lot to work on. I know you're very anti-Lock, that's cool, no issue with that, but it seems like you're really reaching to try and say that Rypien outplayed him in any fashion.
    Actually, you don't know a thing about my opinion of Lock. If being against taking Lock at #10 versus where he was taken in the 2nd Round is being "anti-Lock" then maybe you're right. And every GM in the NFL agreed with my opinion that he wasn't a #10 Pick. If you have some of my so-called "anti-Lock" Posts that you can refer to, then let me see them. The fact is that I was happy we took him in the 2nd Round, and said as much at the time when I said he was a 2nd Round talent, taken in the 2nd Round.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Actually, you don't know a thing about my opinion of Lock. If being against taking Lock at #10 versus where he was taken in the 2nd Round is being "anti-Lock" then maybe you're right. And every GM in the NFL agreed with my opinion that he wasn't a #10 Pick. If you have some of my so-called "anti-Lock" Posts that you can refer to, then let me see them. The fact is that I was happy we took him in the 2nd Round, and said as much at the time when I said he was a 2nd Round talent, taken in the 2nd Round.
    My bad, perhaps Just mis-interpreted your splitting hairs of how Rypien was better on the last drive. To each their own though.

As impressive as a winning drive in the first preseason game is...

I didn't see much to get excited about. I saw two young QBs who both played fairly bad, and showed they both have a lot to work on. I know you're very anti-Lock, that's cool, no issue with that, but it seems like you're really reaching to try and say that Rypien outplayed him in any fashion.
    PI on a poorly thrown ball to keep the drive alive was impressive, thatís for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    I agree with most of that. Fant is a much better blocker than what I was expecting. And the Lynch/Lock comparison isn't far off except that Lynch never showed a sign of being anything. Lock had a few drops, and there's not much to be taken from his first NFL pre-season game. The final thing I'd say is that Dre'mont Jones is a keeper. And that may be bad news for DeMarcus Walker's future as a Bronco.
    Walker had a pretty good game. Jones was in against the second string unit and didnít get anything going until the next unit came in for the Falcons. Both of them are making this team. Kerr on the other hand might not

Hogan was clearly the best QB of the 3 out there for Denver, but it is the first game so hopefully lock and Rypien can improve because they both looked awful.

Risner looked good in the snaps he got.

Fant didn't look good. A drop and a big hold on a big run with only a yard reception to counter it. But like the QBs it is the first game and nerves could be a factor. Still a month to clean things up.

Hollins I don't remember much from him. I do remember seeing him around the ball and the defense was playing good at that time can't say he played bad.

Jones did great in the late game will like to see how he does against better comp.

Winfree had that huge catch early but also had the drop on the first or second series on third down so it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next month.

Reed had a great game on defense and the db's that will make the team did well. The depth was pretty bad but at most we might get a practice squad player out of it.

Backs looked good but not I wonder the role that Theo will play

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-current) Bradley Roby
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

My bad, perhaps Just mis-interpreted your splitting hairs of how Rypien was better on the last drive. To each their own though.
    Rypien, and not Lock, took the team on the winning drive, and threw the winning touchdown pass. That's all I was saying. And people criticizing Rypien for that Touchdown pass seems to miss the point.

If anything, it reminds me of how much better Kubiak was than Elway when they were both rookies. As used to be said back in 1983, "if we could put Kubiak's brain in Elway's body, we would have had a much better QB". Elway's best pass as a rookie was button-hook pass patterns where he could use his arm strength to power the ball into the receivers chest, even with a DB right on top of the receiver. Elway, initially, had great difficulty hitting a moving target but he could hit a spot on the field with incredible velocity. Clearly, between Rypien and Lock, Lock has the stronger arm. Now let's see if he can be taught to be "a pitcher" using Fangio's charaterization. I have hope for Lock. He seems to be head and shoulders above Lynch (and Osweiler) as a prospect. He's smarter, has better instincts, and he appears to be more motivated. One thing Collinsworth pointed out during the game is that Lock needs to put more air under the ball where receivers can run under it instead of throwing a 40 yard pass on a rope. Scangarello has a lot of work to do with both Rypien and Lock.

I took away 5 things from this game.

1. Reed looks to be our new Shaq Barrett
    2. Our backs depth is deep. Muhammad had a great game. Plus we signed Theo
    3.Sua and AJ Johnson showed flashes of being good players.
    4. Vic analogy on Lock being a pitcher that doesnít know how to pitch is spot on. Lock arm talent is undeniable but needs to learn how to throw it better so his WR can make a play. Two deep passes to Fant and Muhammad were overthrown.
    5. There was a lot of jitters( as expected ) from our young players. From Lock inaccuracy, Fants and Winfree early dropped passes, to Vic on the sidelines( although it might have been the stones).

I was very impressed with Benkert (Atlanta's new back up QB)

Muhammad can motor when he gets loose but he's even smaller than Lindsay

preseason doesn't matter- but it was nice to get that win right at the end like that.

If Elway is really going to give Lock a shot in the coming seasons, he needs reps ........... we don't need to send 3 or 4 QB's out each PS game. Lose one of the QBs and get Lock some good experience.

3rd rounder dre mont jones looks like a veteran already to me. Sure it was one PS game against lesser talent - but ...... even his physique looks seasoned. This guy don't seem too nice either. I like him.

Chris Harris mentioned Winfree when he was asked who to look for in PS1. I guess he knew something.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I was very impressed with Benkert (Atlanta's new back up QB)

Muhammad can motor when he gets loose but he's even smaller than Lindsay

preseason doesn't matter- but it was nice to get that win right at the end like that.

If Elway is really going to give Lock a shot in the coming seasons, he needs reps ........... we don't need to send 3 or 4 QB's out each PS game. Lose one of the QBs and get Lock some good experience.

3rd rounder dre mont jones looks like a veteran already to me. Sure it was one PS game against lesser talent - but ...... even his physique looks seasoned some. This guy don't seem too nice either. I like him
    Lock needs to take over 2nd team reps. We are wasting time by giving them to Hogan.

Jones didnít do much against the 2nd team but looked good against the other lines in the second half.

I wouldnít compare Reed to Barrett, I think he looks faster off the edge. Reed looks like what Ray should have been. I think Jeff Holland compares more to barrett

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I wouldnít compare Reed to Barrett, I think he looks faster off the edge. Reed looks like what Ray should have been. I think Jeff Holland compares more to barrett
    I meant more in comparison on a guy that came out of nowhere on the scene and will be in rotation like Barrett was and will be productive. Not comparing techniques,size, or speed

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    PI on a poorly thrown ball to keep the drive alive was impressive, that’s for sure.
    yeah. Without the PI call the game ends 10-7.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    yeah. Without the PI call the game ends 10-7.
    Lock and Rypien struggled. Itís a positive to get playing time. I would imagine they both had a case of the yips. Letís see if they can settle in a bit for the next game. Hopefully theyíll be more productive. Just need to see improvement each week as Butler said.

It may be the first preseason game and not a very impressive one at that, but I wouldn't dismiss the importance of winning the game at the death.

Preseason is very important, but I do not lose too much sleep over what happens, especially in game one. Too much can go wrong. Plus it's a hard thing to evaluate the group, given the newness to The NFL. And overall, wins and losses mean very little in preseason. I have a pretty comfortable hunch that there is little correlation between preseason record and the performance for the season.

But as for individuals looking to make the club....yes, preseason is critical.