Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80

Thread: Dr.Dre

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,959

    Dr.Dre

    I just wanted to say that Dr. Dre Mont Jones Played Lights Out !! Dr. Dre is going to be the real deal.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,305
    Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    I just wanted to say that Dr. Dre Mont Jones Played Lights Out !! Dr. Dre is going to be the real deal.
    We need that Malik Jackson presence. Needs more PT against guys he isn't going to murder now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    What kind of a reason is that?
    Thank you! BAD typo.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
    Thank you! BAD typo.
    Woopsie!
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,540
    Jones is such an exciting prospect, and I had high hopes that he would get opportunities to be an impact player on pass rushing downs this season, so it was great to see him disrupting the passing game against the Falcons in his first hit out. The pass rush with him was never in question though, it was his ability to play the run. Jones has a great first step, one that was always considered to be one of the better ones in his class, his assortment of pass rushing moves he showed at Ohio State was advanced, and his play speed was always high. The problem was how he played the run game, and for a shorter defensive lineman, it was disappointing that his leverage was always below par. If he can be coached up well, and add some lower body strength, he could develop into a rock solid player in my opinion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Jones is such an exciting prospect, and I had high hopes that he would get opportunities to be an impact player on pass rushing downs this season, so it was great to see him disrupting the passing game against the Falcons in his first hit out. The pass rush with him was never in question though, it was his ability to play the run. Jones has a great first step, one that was always considered to be one of the better ones in his class, his assortment of pass rushing moves he showed at Ohio State was advanced, and his play speed was always high. The problem was how he played the run game, and for a shorter defensive lineman, it was disappointing that his leverage was always below par. If he can be coached up well, and add some lower body strength, he could develop into a rock solid player in my opinion.
    How was his leverage "always" below par? PFF gave him an 86.2 grade vs. the run for 2018. That's the same year they lost Nick Bosa and Chase Young played all year with bad ankles. With all of those injuries and having to play 2-gap 3-technique every play in a 4-3 defense, that's pretty damn good. He was the #1 interior DL for the B1G10 in 2018, so all of this crap about trying to find fault in his game or calling him a project is not accurate whatsoever. He had 40 tackles/23 solo, 13 TFL, and 8.5 sacks in 13 games.

    His best play last night was vs. the run!

    https://twitter.com/JoRo_NFL/status/1157124590486917120

    He plays high and fast so some automatically say he's undersized and doesn't keep pads low enough. He's been a starter at Saint Ignatius, a national powerhouse, then he was productive for 3 years at tOSU.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,363
    Jones didnít start playing well until the bottom of the barrel came in for the Falcons. He didnít stand out at all against the 2nd unit. Either way he did show some good signs last night and this should build his confidence moving forward.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
    How was his leverage "always" below par? PFF gave him an 86.2 grade vs. the run for 2018. That's the same year they lost Nick Bosa and Chase Young played all year with bad ankles. With all of those injuries and having to play 2-gap 3-technique every play in a 4-3 defense, that's pretty damn good. He was the #1 interior DL for the B1G10 in 2018, so all of this crap about trying to find fault in his game or calling him a project is not accurate whatsoever. He had 40 tackles/23 solo, 13 TFL, and 8.5 sacks in 13 games.

    His best play last night was vs. the run!

    https://twitter.com/JoRo_NFL/status/1157124590486917120

    He plays high and fast so some automatically say he's undersized and doesn't keep pads low enough. He's been a starter at Saint Ignatius, a national powerhouse, then he was productive for 3 years at tOSU.
    I don't put any merit into Pro Football Focus and their numerous flawed grading systems at multiple position groups. Now, anyone who watched Jones would know he was weak against the run, that is why he fell to where he did. With the ability Jones showed as a pass rusher at OSU, you have to ask the question, why then did he fall to where Denver was able to grab him, the 3rd round ? If he was great against the run, with the clear talent he showed as a pass rusher, he would of went much higher, and this opinion was widely shared leading into the draft, it isn't some secret.

    Now, that play you posted doesn't show anything in regards to his ability to play the run, nor does it dis spell anything I just stated as a negative of his coming out of OSU. Jones was left unblocked by a 3rd/4th string, patchwork offense line in a pre-season game, and he was athletic enough to close and make a good tackle. As I said, the real issue is with the high pad level Jones plays with, his lack of ability to anchor the run, and the way he wasn't able to shed blocks efficiently at the college level. His value will be as a pass rusher here in spot situations, until he develops on his game from college. Your statistics and fandom don't change the tape.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    12,500
    Iím not saying anyone has said it in this particular thread but for anyone who still thinks Jones is too small for this defense, please show me where.

    Last edited by Sam_Z; 08-03-2019 at 04:24 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,540
    I don't know if looking at his frame justifies saying he is too small, but his base is weak as I was saying in my post, that is where his weaknesses showed up at OSU. I just went and tried to find his listed weight, and coming out he was 280, which for the role I imagine the Broncos see for him, that is an ideal weight. Also, here were the negatives listed by NFL.com in their pre-draft scouting report, essentially exactly what I said in my post:

    Top-heavy frame with narrow hips and lower half
    Lightweight frame needs muscle and mass for NFL interior
    Quick hands could benefit with additional pop in them
    Gets too straight-legged during engagement at point of attack
    Tall pad level and poor base width hinder contact balance
    Big, bully lineman can move him around if they get hands locked in
    Below average in freeing himself from down blocks and power
    Can be punched off-balance, forcing him to reset his rush attack
    Needs to get to counter rush move quicker for improved finished rate
    Size and strength concerns could make him one-gap dependent

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    12,500
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't know if looking at his frame justifies saying he is too small, but his base is weak as I was saying in my post, that is where his weaknesses showed up at OSU. I just went and tried to find his listed weight, and coming out he was 280, which for the role I imagine the Broncos see for him, that is an ideal weight. Also, here were the negatives listed by NFL.com in their pre-draft scouting report, essentially exactly what I said in my post:
    Heís looking pretty top heavy right now, it would take a strong base to support that broad frame.

    Iím not saying he has legs like Jamal Anderson but heís a pro football player and Iím pretty confident that heíll be more than capable of holding his own here.

    Canít wait to see the pass rush from him, Walker, Miller and Chubb on third down!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,959
    Once again with Dr. DRE this defense has a real chance of becoming special again like in 2015...Just maybe...I loved what the 2nd String Defense looked like and it was amazing super crisp no more death 💀 by inches...DRE was killing it out there very excited to watch this young kid in our defense being coached by Von Miller and having Bradley Chubb as a Mentor will be Awesome to watch...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Jones didnít start playing well until the bottom of the barrel came in for the Falcons. He didnít stand out at all against the 2nd unit. Either way he did show some good signs last night and this should build his confidence moving forward.
    He played 1 snap late in the 1st qtr that was a bootleg that he read and rolled out of engagement to chase the QB. Not a bad play.

    In the second he read an RPO and moved laterally in case the back was handed the ball, or thrown to him in the flat. He moved his man. Good play.

    Next he was double teamed and the QB rolled to the other side of the field. Not bad not great either. They were in read an react mode so that will hinder his ability to rush the QB.

    Next play he move his man at the point of attack allowing the LB to make a tackle on 24 for no gain on the run. He held stout as hell and his gap was the point of attack. Good play.

    Next play was later in the 2nd 8:55 he hadnít been in yet in this series they once again ran right at him. He shucked his blocker and tackled the RB 32 with the aid of the safety Thomas for < 2 yards. Good play.

    Next play and next series 2nd qtr 4:15 he was at DE/OLB they ran the ball to the opposite edge he battled a seal block and was chipped and he kept his shoulders perpendicular to the LOS no to allow a cut back and closed towards the sideline. Good play

    Next play QB was under center so run threat was assumed he lined up at NT quick 3 step drop and release. His move was to the wrong side, but he was never getting to the QB on that play. Below average but not bad.

    Next play they had him at DT and they stunted him around the DE vs the tackle. Ball was out quick, but he didnít show his quickness. This was a timing play and someone would have had to been unimpeded to have reached the QB. This was the pass interference play. Average

    Next play at DE was a bootleg and he moved with his man covering the RB. Thatís his job on Fangios D. Good play.

    Next play 3:11 at DE pass play he tried moving laterally left the right to get around the guard with a okay move. Needs to shorten that juke and get to the QB quicker. Average but not bad.

    Next play was he was at DE loop blitz but QB was flushed by blitzing LB. should have been intentional grounding. He got pressure. Good play.

    Next play was a deep drop and release by QB no one was near him and Jones was double teamed and did okay. Above average.

    Next play was double teamed again and held well and fought towards the QB on a screen play. Good play.

    Next play was another 3 step drop and a quick throw and he was pressuring the QB. Great swim and loop move. Great job.


    That was the 1st half. He killed in the 2nd. He did not have a bad 1st half. Who played better at DE in the 1st half? Your statement is not accurate whatsoever. He played the run very well, and Atlanta was getting the ball out quickly. He had a very good game.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't know if looking at his frame justifies saying he is too small, but his base is weak as I was saying in my post, that is where his weaknesses showed up at OSU. I just went and tried to find his listed weight, and coming out he was 280, which for the role I imagine the Broncos see for him, that is an ideal weight. Also, here were the negatives listed by NFL.com in their pre-draft scouting report, essentially exactly what I said in my post:
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't put any merit into Pro Football Focus and their numerous flawed grading systems at multiple position groups. Now, anyone who watched Jones would know he was weak against the run, that is why he fell to where he did. With the ability Jones showed as a pass rusher at OSU, you have to ask the question, why then did he fall to where Denver was able to grab him, the 3rd round ? If he was great against the run, with the clear talent he showed as a pass rusher, he would of went much higher, and this opinion was widely shared leading into the draft, it isn't some secret.

    Now, that play you posted doesn't show anything in regards to his ability to play the run, nor does it dis spell anything I just stated as a negative of his coming out of OSU. Jones was left unblocked by a 3rd/4th string, patchwork offense line in a pre-season game, and he was athletic enough to close and make a good tackle. As I said, the real issue is with the high pad level Jones plays with, his lack of ability to anchor the run, and the way he wasn't able to shed blocks efficiently at the college level. His value will be as a pass rusher here in spot situations, until he develops on his game from college. Your statistics and fandom don't change the tape.
    So, youíve watched tape on Jones? I watched every snap of his career at least once most twice. Youíre going off of his pre-draft analysis which in most cases are wrong. They have to find some fault with a player even if itís inaccurate. Youíre not going off of film or youíd agree with me.

    Read this playerís pre-draft analysis:

    ďPlays with a narrow base at times and can be pushed out of the play. Takes too long to recognize screens and draws and gets caught upfield too often. A bit inconsistent with his play.Ē

    Thatís Cameron Heyward. Athlon just named him the #3 DL in the NFL

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlons...rankings%3famp

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
    So, you’ve watched tape on Jones? I watched every snap of his career at least once most twice. You’re going off of his pre-draft analysis which in most cases are wrong. They have to find some fault with a player even if it’s inaccurate. You’re not going off of film or you’d agree with me.

    Read this player’s pre-draft analysis:

    “Plays with a narrow base at times and can be pushed out of the play. Takes too long to recognize screens and draws and gets caught upfield too often. A bit inconsistent with his play.”

    That’s Cameron Heyward. Athlon just named him the #3 DL in the NFL

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlons...rankings%3famp
    Incorrect, and there is a huge difference. You watched your team play as a fan, I went back and watched at least 8 games of Jones specifically, every snap. What I said is echoed, widely, or you could say I echoed what is widely considered and known of the player being discussed. Also, again, your "evidence" at the end of your post doesn't have anything to do with what is being said. I am not projecting forward what I think of Jones and what he could be, and it doesn't mean Jones will never be good at defending the run. But, like the point you mentioned about Hayward, it was probably true based on what he produce playing college ball, but, he developed. As I had posted, as it's widely been said, Jones has some negatives, and that is why he was a third round pick. If he develops he could get better at it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't shown in the past on the tape. I also have no reason to be saying these things, I am not emotional involved on the topic like you clearly are "Buckeye Bronco".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •