Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos undrafted rookie spotlight: Malik Reed

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...ht-malik-reed/

a little spot light.

i really like this kid i though the top four olb spots would be locked down with miller chubb watson and holland. but this kid making noise and looks like to be a udfa steal. he looks like he could potentially move in as a situational pass rusher. if he can bulk up like maybe 10 pounds he could be one of the steals of this draft. i have a really good feeling about him.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

He does lack the length that an OLB/Edge typically needs. Only 6-1 and 31.5" arms and only 237lbs. I think that is the reason he didn't get drafted. His size says he fits more as an ILB and he did have an expanded role at Nevada in 2018 playing "off ball" LB. He has the speed to rush the passer and has looked good in that role in camp. Hard to say but it seems he has the "heart" of a great player but may lack the size for an EDGE in the NFL, hopefully the Broncos can find a way to keep him with the organization and see if he can develop at LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...ht-malik-reed/

a little spot light.

i really like this kid i though the top four olb spots would be locked down with miller chubb watson and holland. but this kid making noise and looks like to be a udfa steal. he looks like he could potentially move in as a situational pass rusher. if he can bulk up like maybe 10 pounds he could be one of the steals of this draft. i have a really good feeling about him.
    I donít have measurements for Reed but hes reminded of Elvis Dumervil in training camp so far.

Dumervil
    Height: 71.38 inches
    Weight: 257 pounds
    BMI: 36.32
    Arm Length: 32.63 inches
    Hand Size: 9.13 inches
    Front Shoulder: 15.0 inches
    Back Shoulder: 11.0 inches
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 08-07-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    He does lack the length that an OLB/Edge typically needs. Only 6-1 and 31.5" arms and only 237lbs. I think that is the reason he didn't get drafted. His size says he fits more as an ILB and he did have an expanded role at Nevada in 2018 playing "off ball" LB. He has the speed to rush the passer and has looked good in that role in camp. Hard to say but it seems he has the "heart" of a great player but may lack the size for an EDGE in the NFL, hopefully the Broncos can find a way to keep him with the organization and see if he can develop at LB.
    Length is a great tool to have but he can still be effective without it. Obviously his speed rush is what heís best at and with a low center of gravity he can turn the corner on these much larger OTs but if he can learn to punch at a linemenís arms and hands he can mitigate the length disadvantage and add a few more moves to his arsenal. If he can hit the OTs arms mid punch the OT will lose his balance a bit opening up rush lanes for him. This isnít something I think anyone can do consistently but as a situational player it should be sufficient. He almost has to play OLB like a smaller WR fighting through press coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Length is a great tool to have but he can still be effective without it. Obviously his speed rush is what he’s best at and with a low center of gravity he can turn the corner on these much larger OTs but if he can learn to punch at a linemen’s arms and hands he can mitigate the length disadvantage and add a few more moves to his arsenal. If he can hit the OTs arms mid punch the OT will lose his balance a bit opening up rush lanes for him. This isn’t something I think anyone can do consistently but as a situational player it should be sufficient. He almost has to play OLB like a smaller WR fighting through press coverage.
    Mostly I pointed out his length issue as the reason he was not drafted. I do think he can be successful as a pass rusher but to stick to a roster he probably will have to do more, especially when competing against Holland and Watson at OLB. Maybe he is great on STs? I haven't seen anything on him in that regard, if he can show ST value then he might be able to make the roster as the 5th OLB?, or if he can show value as a possible ILB and a good ST player that can help him make the final roster. I agree with your comments but he probably will have to do more to make the roster, maybe not?

I did find some pro day measurables on him ... 4.8 40 time, he had a 6.89 3 cone time (that is great), he weighed 234.
    Here is a comment/profile for him ...

Although Reed is a limited athlete, his three-cone timing will entice teams. His tape does back his impressive timing. He is a quick twitch athlete that will beat offensive linemen off the snap. His pass rush moves will allow him to have some success as a pass rusher if he improves his hand usage. He will struggle against the run, however, he is not afraid to stick his nose in for tackles. Versatility in coverage, pass rush and experience as an off-ball linebacker allows a team to move him around to give him good matchups. Reed should be a fourth or fifth round prospect. I think he has value. If he can put on some weight and get stronger without losing anything in his bend, he could develop into a starter down the road.

Mostly I pointed out his length issue as the reason he was not drafted. I do think he can be successful as a pass rusher but to stick to a roster he probably will have to do more, especially when competing against Holland and Watson at OLB. Maybe he is great on STs? I haven't seen anything on him in that regard, if he can show ST value then he might be able to make the roster as the 5th OLB?, or if he can show value as a possible ILB and a good ST player that can help him make the final roster. I agree with your comments but he probably will have to do more to make the roster, maybe not?
    I've read a number of your comments on this kid and I fail to see how his overall size is THAT big of a deal. How does he play against the 1s and 2s? How does he stack up against Holland and Watson? To me those are far more relevant than his size.

I see this as a similar line of thought to P.Lindsay - too small, too light. Yet he plays bigger than he is. That is what matters.

he probably need to show he can contribute on st to stay on the team. but if he continues to ball out it may be hard to keep him off the final roster.

oakland raders gm

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I've read a number of your comments on this kid and I fail to see how his overall size is THAT big of a deal. How does he play against the 1s and 2s? How does he stack up against Holland and Watson? To me those are far more relevant than his size.

I see this as a similar line of thought to P.Lindsay - too small, too light. Yet he plays bigger than he is. That is what matters.
    I don't disagree, I already stated that I pointed out his length mostly as the reason he was not drafted, similar to Lindsay. I certainly am NOT making it THAT big of a deal. I in fact hope he makes the team because I think he IS a good pass rusher. I do think what will help him make the team is to show he has value in other areas on the team, like ST and maybe not have to beat out Watson and Holland, just like most players in his situation. Since the Broncos probably need help at ILB he could be tried there too?
    I haven't seen enough of his or Watson/Holland yet to say how he stacks up to them... have you? I am interested in seeing them play again tomorrow at Seattle.
    Edit: I guess I should mention that I had not read the article link until now.
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 08-07-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Itís relevant because the scouting reports say heís small and gets washed out a lot on running plays

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It’s relevant because the scouting reports say he’s small and gets washed out a lot on running plays
    that would be the thing. if he can't hold up against the rush. he wont be on the 53. he needs to do that or contribute on special teams.

oakland raders gm

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    that would be the thing. if he can't hold up against the rush. he wont be on the 53. he needs to do that or contribute on special teams.
    Iím not so sure. He has some serious talent as a pass rusher and thatís a premium position. The coaching staff should be putting him in a position to where thatís his focus. He should watch tape on guys like Freeney and Dumervil to see how he can utilize his leverage and become a well rounded pass rusher. Neither had great length but were effective and sometimes dominant because of their relentless motor, superior leverage, and violent hands.

Right now I donít think Holland or Hollins have shown more as a pass rusher than he has. They have some tools but no go to move that can put fear into an OT. Reed is a threat to run by them every play heís in. Reed will be fine if heís asked to contribute on special teams and with Hollins mixing in at ILB it gives us some roster flexibility at the position. Although I was very impressed with Watson last time he was here and heís made his career off of special teams.

Thereís going to be some tough roster decisions to be made on the final cut day. Thereís some quality depth on the defense and at RB.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I’m not so sure. He has some serious talent as a pass rusher and that’s a premium position. The coaching staff should be putting him in a position to where that’s his focus. He should watch tape on guys like Freeney and Dumervil to see how he can utilize his leverage and become a well rounded pass rusher. Neither had great length but were effective and sometimes dominant because of their relentless motor, superior leverage, and violent hands.

Right now I don’t think Holland or Hollins have shown more as a pass rusher than he has. They have some tools but no go to move that can put fear into an OT. Reed is a threat to run by them every play he’s in. Reed will be fine if he’s asked to contribute on special teams and with Hollins mixing in at ILB it gives us some roster flexibility at the position. Although I was very impressed with Watson last time he was here and he’s made his career off of special teams.

There’s going to be some tough roster decisions to be made on the final cut day. There’s some quality depth on the defense and at RB.

Totally Agree with you I think there will be some hard cuts when that time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Itís relevant because the scouting reports say heís small and gets washed out a lot on running plays
    There are plenty of situational pass rushers who aren't great against the run. IMO the other element which he may be good at is drop back in coverage. If he can do that as well then I see no reason he cannot make the 53 IF he keeps his level of play up.

There are plenty of situational pass rushers who aren't great against the run. IMO the other element which he may be good at is drop back in coverage. If he can do that as well then I see no reason he cannot make the 53 IF he keeps his level of play up.
    You might be right. I was only explaining why the comments about his size were relevant.