• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broncoyearound
    Football Immortal
    • Jun 2009

Simple...what would be a successful realistic season

Football is back! I missed all of my fellow broncomaniacs around here. I always take an off-season off with the guys but check in every now and then. So I didn't see a thread on this topic and if there is one forgive me you can merge it if that's the case.

Okay now to the good stuff. Realistically, Weat in y'alls mind is a successful season for the broncos this year? Back to back losing seasons under VJ, left all of us fans in uncharted territory.

Elway made changes, some good and some bad but to me i give him credit he's trying hard to get us competitive and I thought he had a decent draft with an exception to lock but that's a story for another time, being realistic a successful season to me is at least 8 wins. I'm not expecting playoffs, we have a tough division and I feel like we would need 11 plus wins to keep pace with the chargers and the chiefs.

I mainly would like to see us become competitive again. Maybe my out look will be looked at negatively but I'm not meaning for it to be.

I kind of look at divisions as who have the best QB and I rank the teams accordingly. If i look at ours I would say...maholmes 1 Rivers 2 and between Flacco and Carr well 3a and 3b which is which? I'm not sure Carr took a step back last year but if he got back to form I would put him over Flacco.

Then I look at defenses which in my opinion, I'd be hard pressed to not put the chargers at 1a with us being maybe 1b raiders 3 Kc 4. The reason this is important for me is because the team with the best defense in the division usually give your team the chance to win and pull an upset even against teams with great qbs.

I can break down different stats but I'll save it for a different thread as I kind of got off track.

I think we have improved just on an x's and o's standpoint alone. The coaching staff is upgraded and we have a somewhat better QB in my opinion than we've had, but is it enough to get us to 11 wins? I don't think so. Of course none of us will know until the season kicks off and we have played a few games.

So I would love to hear thoughts from most of you. Where are the broncos at realistically in your opinion? I was listening to Sirius XM and while I love all my Broncos fans I think a caller said he'd be shocked if the brincos didn't finish the season at 12-4. I say pump the breaks that's being way to overly optimistic but I've been known to be wrong plenty of times. If his prediction held water I'd love that I just don't see it so I'm turning to you all to see what you think.

Thanks for the time to reply and again I missed all of you guys and girls. Here's to a good season ahead!!!!
    :go:
  • Canmore
    Do. Do not...No Try!
    • May 2007

Successful? The playoffs, but we're not that good. Unless Flacco re-invents Joe Cool.
    sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

• orange crush75
      Captain
      • Feb 2006

Last year I predicted 10 or 11 wins . Guess I was way off. I'm not even thinking about a record this year since I was so disappointed. I'm taking this year like a player ......week to week lol

Comment

• Papa-pwn
        Captain
        • Aug 2008

As far as Carr vs Flacco, Carr is significantly ahead of Flacco. Especially at this point in their careers.

Then, for your original question: I would call 7 or 8 wins very successful so long as they come with demonstrated growth in young players. Ideally, Lock proves capable of taking over by mid-season and nets a winning record in his starts.

Comment

• Sam_Z
          Banned User
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
          As far as Carr vs Flacco, Carr is significantly ahead of Flacco. Especially at this point in their careers.

Then, for your original question: I would call 7 or 8 wins very successful so long as they come with demonstrated growth in young players. Ideally, Lock proves capable of taking over by mid-season and nets a winning record in his starts.
          Listening to Tom Nalen yesterday, based on his camp observations, Lock is no where near the level of Joe Flacco right now.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing considering that if Joe is as bad as you say, then lock must be really bad and no where near ready to take snaps right under center.

Or perhaps it could mean that Joe Is returning to that Joe cool form. Either way I don’t see why Nalen would lie, nor does he seem like a guy that would get over hyped during camp.

Either way, it just doesn’t seem like the right time for Lock to be taking over now or later in the season. I’d hate to see another young QB ruined and we’ve seen many in the last 15-20 years.

Comment

• JvDub95
            Football Immortal
            • Jan 2005

8 wins or better.....

Like Papa-pwn said, as long as I see growth in Lock and he shows he is capable of leadership and moving the chains, that's really all I want.

​​​​

Comment

• FR Tim
              Football Immortal
              • Jul 2013

Realistic? That is a loaded question dependent on the predictor's opinion and bias.

I like most of the off season moves and am overall optimistic about the season. My biased "realistic" and way too early prediction is 9-10 wins and in the playoff hunt

- Still early but think the first year coaching staff has cleaned up some of the disorganization of the last couple years. Penalties, confusion at the line of scrimmage, accountability issues.. Just getting a more professional vibe from the team this season.

- Defense looks to be impressive. Top 5 overall keeps them in games all season long. Pass rush should be disruptive and secondary making plays. Some issues with depth and quality of ILB play.

- IMO Flacco will be more productive then most are predicting. More of a calming professional influence then a playmaker. Think of an aging point guard distributing the ball over a elite scorer. More Chauncey Billups leadership then Westbrook/ Irving athleticism.. Broncos have playmakers to use. Will be interesting to see the playcalling in using them. O-line hopefully can get and remain healthy. Think they will be much better overall if they can.

- As for Lock. He needs work to get comfortable as a pro QB. I hope he gets minimal usage late in the season, at best. Just keep improving and learning the basics. IMO unrealistic expectations will cause more harm then good. Even when he gets his opportunities he needs a simplified offense that emphasizes his strengths, not force him into a square peg/round hole scenario.

Excited to see this team this season. Expect improvement overall. And hopefully a sneak into the playoffs as a wild card would be incredible for the development of this team, coaches and players alike.

Comment

• jflee66
                Bench Warmer
                • Dec 2017

I would like to see JF start next season as well. This would mean he will have played great this year and made it to the POs. Imo, the talent is there on both sides of the ball and barring injuries, should be contenders. It all boils down to the QBs.....again.

Comment

• The Excellector
                  Practice Squad
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                  Listening to Tom Nalen yesterday, based on his camp observations, Lock is no where near the level of Joe Flacco right now.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or bad thing considering that if Joe is as bad as you say, then lock must be really bad and no where near ready to take snaps right under center.

Or perhaps it could mean that Joe Is returning to that Joe cool form. Either way I don’t see why Nalen would lie, nor does he seem like a guy that would get over hyped during camp.

Either way, it just doesn’t seem like the right time for Lock to be taking over now or later in the season. I’d hate to see another young QB ruined and we’ve seen many in the last 15-20 years.
                  I remember Tom Nalen. Very good Center for a long time. Is he on radio now or does he have a podcast?

Comment

• crabcruncher
                    Practice Squad
                    • Feb 2019

104.3 the fan

His show starts 1600 Pacific time
                    Last edited by crabcruncher; 08-08-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Dennis.1960
                      Captain
                      • Nov 2014

Simple...a winning record to stop the embarrassing slide of the VJ seasons.
                      "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                      PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                      LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
                        Football Immortal
                        • May 2010

to me there are advantages and disavantages i am at the point where it is like. just play 16 games of football and i will be happy.
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• johnlimburg
                          Ring of Famer
                          • Sep 2009

If Elway had made moves to suggest he was re-building, going with a youth movement, clearing out some wasted money, and went young at quarterback, I would of been happy with improvement throughout the season and another high draft pick. But Elway went and spent big money on free agents at a few positions of need, and went the re-tread quarterback route, again. Because of these moves, the intention is playoffs, so for me it's playoffs or bust, or I need to at least see us competing down to the last week of the season for a place in the dance. I am not expecting top seeding or a Superbowl run, but I am expecting a competitive football team.

Comment

• Taos_Broncomaniac
                            Football Immortal
                            • Oct 2008

I'm hoping Flacco shows some vet savvy and carves up some defenses in a new system.

9 wins
                            [sigpic

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                              team preacher
                              • Mar 2008

9-7 and we sweep the Raiders.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Working...
                              X