Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by justabroncosfan View Post
    To the OP, a successful season would be in my opinion winning two playoff games.

A winning record and "one and done" in the playoffs? Fail.

A losing record? Fail.

A losing record and two playoff wins? Success.

A winning record and two playoff wins? Success.

A losing/winning record and loss/victory in Florida on February 2nd of 2020? Success.

Now that I've said my two cents I can't wait to read how fellow fans have responded. I purposely didn't read any replies to this thread before I posted just so to keep my response honest.
    I would consider that a great leap forward from where we've been lately and very successful progress that ends our 3-year playoff drought. I'd happily accept that outcome as the team would finally be trending back up into contention and I would feel very optimistic for 2020!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Our team has the hardest path to the SB. And the Patriots have the easiest path. Way to go Patriots. It makes makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I use to judge first season of a head coach success by record vs the Raiders

2-0 vs Raiders = success
    1-1 vs Raiders = meh next year better be better
    0-2 vs Raiders = fire the HC

1st year
    Vance = 1-1
    Kubiak = 1-1 (won Super Bowl so forgiven)
    Fox = 1-1 (If only he got past Orton gives us the best chance to win may have been 2-0 and had a much different career )
    McD = 1-1 (I have been off the McD bandwagon since we allowed Jamarcus Russel to come off the bench and beat us while trying to make the playoffs)
    Shanahan = 2-0 ( Raiders cried we allowed grass to grow too high in order to slow down their speedsters, true? dunno but I loved it! )

We were something like 2-11 against the Raiders when Shanahan beat them twice. I been on the Shanahan bandwagon ever since he beat them twice that year. The back to back Super Bowls and taking 3 different Bronco QBs to the playoffs is just icing on the cake I made to celebrate ending of Raider dominance against us.
    I used to joke that a successful season was beating the Raiders twice. Anything else was icing. There's a lot of truth there. We were spoiled under Shanahan.

Lets start the season right. Beat the Raiders!

2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Adopted Bronco: Chris Harris Jr.

6-2 at home, 4-4 on the road, 10-6! As professionals they are expected to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    The baseline for any successful season is reaching the playoffs. I think 10-6 may be sufficient to reach that threshold this season.
    I totally agree; couldn't have said it better

I'd guess most of us have been glass half empty past couple of years, successful this year is for us to be glass half-full.

I'm excited, there have been enough positive changes that we should be in contention for every game. That's good enough for me.

Score a TD on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Score a TD on offense.
    At first I thought perhaps Scangarello was trying to hide most of his playbook although everyone already knows the Shanahan offense but then listening to Sandy Clough, I realized that they most likely are not hiding anything and that this is the offense, slow and boring.

Everything is designed around the running game and if that doesn’t work then nothing works.

Another cause for concern is how the offense is designed to keep the opposing offense off the field and eat up the clock however in today’s high powered NFL the opposing offense will be well rested and then come out flying. Meaning they’ll have little time but with the intent to score.

So if Denver’s offense plans To move slowly and eat up the clock, that means they are only going to have so many series to score.

I’m guessing less than 10 and that is when we are going to see Losses where the score is 17 to 16 because the opposition is going to come out flying hard with their high powered offensive playbooks because they will have realized that they have very little time to get points on the board and since they’ll be well rested they just may do that because today NFL caters the offense so much more than it did back in 97-98.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    At first I thought perhaps Scangarello was trying to hide most of his playbook although everyone already knows the Shanahan offense but then listening to Sandy Clough, I realized that they most likely are not hiding anything and that this is the offense, slow and boring.

Everything is designed around the running game and if that doesn’t work then nothing works.

Another cause for concern is how the offense is designed to keep the opposing offense off the field and eat up the clock however in today’s high powered NFL the opposing offense will be well rested and then come out flying. Meaning they’ll have little time but with the intent to score.

So if Denver’s offense plans To move slowly and eat up the clock, that means they are only going to have so many series to score.

I’m guessing less than 10 and that is when we are going to see Losses where the score is 17 to 16 because the opposition is going to come out flying hard with their high powered offensive playbooks because they will have realized that they have very little time to get points on the board and since they’ll be well rested they just may do that because today NFL caters the offense so much more than it did back in 97-98.
    I'm inclined to doubt that.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Sam, I get your frustration and even share it up to a point. I also think you've watched enough football over the years to know full well that no team shows their full offense during preseason. Even if they give bits and pieces there just isn't enough time with the starters on (or rather not on the field) field to open the entire playbook. Even now with teams sitting starters more than usual means we'll see much more of players 54-90 who won't be on the team in a handful of days.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Score a TD on offense.
    McManus: 2 FGs could be the best formula to score 6

When the word 'realistic' comes into play for a successful season, then being near .500 or above would satisfy me. Even looking somewhat like the 2016 team under Siemian that went 9-7 with a top 5 defense was watchable compared to what it's been recently. I don't expect playoffs this year, I just want to appear competitive at the very least and not be a bottom dweller team.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Bill Barnwell of ESPN has the Broncos as one of the 10 worst teams.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...10-worst-teams

Denver Broncos

FPI chance to make the playoffs: 17.2%

Clear signs of development from their young receivers. John Elway has sought to rebuild his team's receiving corps over the past two drafts, drafting wideouts Courtland Sutton and DaeSean Hamilton in 2018 before trading down and taking tight end Noah Fant in the first round in April. The refresh is overdue; Elway traded away Demaryius Thomas last season and has 32-year-old Emmanuel Sanders entering the final year of his contract in 2019, while prior draft picks like Cody Latimer, Carlos Henderson, Jeff Heuerman and Jake Butt have failed to turn into useful pass-catchers.

The Broncos need at least one of these guys to look like a starting receiver and an offensive building block by the end of 2019. Fant has the loftiest draft pedigree as a first-rounder, but the list of rookie tight ends who delivered an immediate impact isn't long, as just four tight ends since the 1970 merger have topped 700 receiving yards during their debut campaigns. He also left Monday's preseason game against the 49ers with an ankle injury. Even beyond what appears to be a minor ankle issue, it might be more realistic to expect Fant to harness his potentially devastating athleticism in 2020.

Dopp not 'super confident' in Sutton
    Daniel Dopp isn't sure whether to take Courtland Sutton as the Broncos second wide receiver because of his production last season and Flacco as his QB.

First-time offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello might instead hope for one of his wideouts to make a second-year leap alongside Sanders, who made his return to the field on Monday night as part of rehabbing his torn Achilles. Sutton's role in the offense grew when Thomas was traded and was expected to rise further after Sanders went down, but during those final four games without either veteran, Sutton was third on the team in targets (25) and receiving yards (146), trailing both Tim Patrick and Hamilton. The latter's versatility led to 38 targets over four games, although Hamilton averaged just 7.3 yards across his 25 receptions during that stretch.

The problem for Hamilton, in a way, might be Scangarello. The Broncos imported their new coordinator from San Francisco, where Scangarello had worked under Kyle Shanahan. The former 49ers and Falcons offensive coordinator loves to use a fullback and runs plenty of plays with two or more tight ends on the field, and when the Broncos use either of those options, it will likely be at Hamilton's expense. The late addition of Theo Riddick also seems more likely to eat into Hamilton's targets than those of any of the other wideouts. Sutton didn't impress over the final month of the season, but he has the best chance of breaking out in 2019.

A turnaround from Garett Bolles. Teams that draft over-aged players take significant risk. The time frame for developing players who are older than typical rookies is shortened by their advancing age, and while the hope is obviously to find a more mature player who can step in immediately, that hasn't often worked out. Over the past 20 years, there have been eight first-rounders drafted as they entered their age-25 season or older. One -- Cowboys corner Terence Newman -- made a Pro Bowl. The likes of David Terrell, Danny Watkins, Peria Jerry and Brandon Weeden all failed to impress.

It's too early to give up on Ravens 2018 first-rounder Hayden Hurst, but the Broncos are on the precipice with their 2017 first-round pick. Having turned 27 in May, Bolles is one week older than the team's right tackle, Ja'Wuan James, who just signed a massive deal after completing his fifth pro campaign. Bolles just finished his second season and has a serious problem: penalties. Since entering the league, he has drawn 29 flags and a staggering 21 offensive holding calls. No other lineman in the league has topped 13 over that same two-year span.

Enter one of the league's most important offseason additions. No, not James; it's former Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who helped develop young linemen like David DeCastro and Alejandro Villanueva during his time in Pittsburgh. Munchak's most important project in 2019 is Bolles, who committed another holding penalty on one of his 33 snaps during Monday's loss to the 49ers. Camp reports have suggested that the Broncos are pleased with Bolles, but new coach Vic Fangio has also singled out utility lineman Elijah Wilkinson for praise, too. With Bolles' fifth-year option decision looming after the season, the Broncos need to figure out whether he's a building block.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I'm inclined to doubt that.
    I don’t think it matters if you hide anything or not, it’s football and everything in the last 20 years has most like been seen and defensive coaches should be able to adjust to combat almost anything in a single game.

These are the best of the best coaches in the NFL!

I don’t think it matters if you hide anything or not, it’s football and everything in the last 20 years has most like been seen and defensive coaches should be able to adjust to combat almost anything in a single game.

These are the best of the best coaches in the NFL!

Ok, ,maybe. maybe not.