Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Realistic? Very tough division, arguably the toughest this year, so breaking even or having a winning season would be achievable with what I saw of the first stringers last night, but our depth? It is there where I want to see a successful season, to see it all start to click under Fangio, the team gelling and the youth establishing themselves as the core of the future solid team.

Von said it best in an interview before the game last night, where he said (Paraphrased) "The efforts of a rookie, driven to make the team, needs to be shown by the vets as well. That all members on the team need to play with the same vision, goal, and intensity. That is what makes a team. I experienced that the year we won the Superbowl, all in sync with the same mindset and intensity..."

It is this, that if the Bronco's attain this year, a unity not seen since the SB year, I will consider a successful year and one that sets us up to be a strong competitor for the division in the coming years.

A successful season in my view require being in playoff contention and have a realistic projection of at least the 5th seed in the AFC by week 16. To me we cannot keep laying eggs against the Chiefs, irrespective of whether we are close as we were last year. To me it is not success to make the playoffs and then be embarrassed in the first round.

Siemian, Orton & Cutler shared that they played well and yet could not win when they needed to, and often had the team go flat around them. Oddly enough Peyton played significantly worse in 2015, but the team kept fighting for every scrap of hope, and Manning was able to give us those two drives that he needed.

Success is also going into every game and expecting to win.

To the OP, a successful season would be in my opinion winning two playoff games.

A winning record and "one and done" in the playoffs? Fail.

A losing record? Fail.

A losing record and two playoff wins? Success.

A winning record and two playoff wins? Success.

A losing/winning record and loss/victory in Florida on February 2nd of 2020? Success.

Now that I've said my two cents I can't wait to read how fellow fans have responded. I purposely didn't read any replies to this thread before I posted just so to keep my response honest.

Quote Originally Posted by justabroncosfan View Post
    To the OP, a successful season would be in my opinion winning two playoff games.

A winning record and "one and done" in the playoffs? Fail.

A losing record? Fail.

A losing record and two playoff wins? Success.

A winning record and two playoff wins? Success.

A losing/winning record and loss/victory in Florida on February 2nd of 2020? Success.

Now that I've said my two cents I can't wait to read how fellow fans have responded. I purposely didn't read any replies to this thread before I posted just so to keep my response honest.
    winning 7 or less games will not get you into the post

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    winning 7 or less games will not get you into the post
    Maholmes and Rivers would have to have season ending injuries along with some other key injuries, but it’s possible to get in with a losing record.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Maholmes and Rivers would have to have season ending injuries along with some other key injuries, but it’s possible to get in with a losing record.
    sure I believe the seahawks did it once

but our entire team from top to bottom would have to suck to get 7 or less wins with rivers and maholmes out, you probably would have to throw in Carr also
    because there isn't going to be a 7-9 wildcard team in the afc
    Last edited by arapaho; 08-20-2019 at 11:11 AM.

If we get to 8-8 I will be pleased as punch

Super Bowl champions. Anything less would be uncivilized.

I think to be competitive and physical and be in most games, and to be playing meaningful games in DEC.

We have little depth, so we’ll need all the good fortune this season can muster. This tram must remain relatively healthy.

The skills kids (Sutton, Hamilton, Winfrey, Fant, and Butt) must consistently make impactful plays for this team, if the offense is to really take off.

Flacco and the OL is good enough if guys are winning individual matchups in the secondary.... This offense needs Sanders and Lindsey or else...the running game should be able to move the chains... but other than Patrick, who other than Lindsey or Sanders can make game-changing plays? Who battles with aggressiveness?

And, finally, as to the strength of this team: The DEFENSE.

We have our strength, which is a loaded unit, with talent on a couple layers.... Elite pass rush, what appears to be a surprisingly rebuilt CB corps... DL shouldn’t be a problem...

We have a HC, who is called by some in the industry the premiere defensive schemer in the NFL.

The only thing holding this unit back from being top 3 unit, is the ILB (especially in pass coverage). Devin Bush would’ve been perfect... but Fant/Lock was worth the cost...

This comes back you Fangio.... he must develop his ILB (like Fox did with our collection of random ILBs that led us to 2 SBs).

If he does... our defense will be a top 5 lethal titanium wall.

And Flacco is good enough to keep DeN competitive....

The ST sux other than McManus...

As an outsider, the key looks to be the offensive line. There is a lot of potential with the offensive line, but it will take time to fully develop. There also seems to be a lack of depth, which is really a league-wide issue these days.

Lindsey will do well in the passing offense. Freeman will do well to grind the clock, short yardage situations, red zone. Sanders and Flacco will work the boundary well. Those are Flacco’s best throws and when he has a reliable veteran who can run really good routes, he makes those throws with great confidence. Fant, like most rookie TEs, isn’t ready. He’ll have to make his biggest mark blocking in space. If Sutton continues to tap into his potential, then Fant could benefit from the space that would create in the middle of the field. I wouldn’t expect much from Fant though. Personally, I was not a fan of the pick. I felt like, once Hockenson went off the board Bush was the right pick.

This defense is going to cause problems for teams. There is no question about it.

In your division, I would say that if the line does well, with the defense you guys have, you can win 11-12 games. If the line is just average, I could see you guys in that 7-9 win range. If the line is bad, Flacco won’t likely make the season.

A successful season? Well, sure the playoffs would be great but with the state of the team after the last two years and another coaching transition with all that brings (offensive and defensive overhauls), the playoffs might only be icing on the cake.

I believe a realistic take has to take in to consideration with what the team is right now and where it's going with the new leadership. Let's face it, there are pieces in place - the defense looks great! - but we're really in a rebuilding year. Last year's draft was a breath of fresh air, this year's looks promising, but player development hasn't been great and the roster shows it. The line needs more talent, not even All Star talent just solid, journeyman talent. TEs... (will they all end up on IR this year?)... I could go on.

Fangio has his work cut out for him but I think that's ok. I believe he took the gig knowing this and has a play for this year and beyond which will focus on developing players on the roster but that will be a bumpy and painful road. He's already got guys sold on him as a teacher, they'll have to trust him and work on improving from week 1 through 16.

Then there will be next years draft. Having a year under his belt he and the coaching staff will be intimately aware of the team needs and can work on getting players in the draft - we should have a number of picks with some good opportunity. Then there are UDFAs and FAs. For all the problems Elway had with past drafts he's done well in this area.

To me successful is the team once again getting back on it's feet by playing competitive and disciplined football - games that you actually look forward to watching.

The circus has finally left town. Time to get back to work.

I use to judge first season of a head coach success by record vs the Raiders

2-0 vs Raiders = success
    1-1 vs Raiders = meh next year better be better
    0-2 vs Raiders = fire the HC

1st year
    Vance = 1-1
    Kubiak = 1-1 (won Super Bowl so forgiven)
    Fox = 1-1 (If only he got past Orton gives us the best chance to win may have been 2-0 and had a much different career )
    McD = 1-1 (I have been off the McD bandwagon since we allowed Jamarcus Russel to come off the bench and beat us while trying to make the playoffs)
    Shanahan = 2-0 ( Raiders cried we allowed grass to grow too high in order to slow down their speedsters, true? dunno but I loved it! )

We were something like 2-11 against the Raiders when Shanahan beat them twice. I been on the Shanahan bandwagon ever since he beat them twice that year. The back to back Super Bowls and taking 3 different Bronco QBs to the playoffs is just icing on the cake I made to celebrate ending of Raider dominance against us.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

A successful season might simply be one where no one is talking about firing the coach midway through or even after five games in which they’re 3-2.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won’t Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    A successful season? Well, sure the playoffs would be great but with the state of the team after the last two years and another coaching transition with all that brings (offensive and defensive overhauls), the playoffs might only be icing on the cake.

I believe a realistic take has to take in to consideration with what the team is right now and where it's going with the new leadership. Let's face it, there are pieces in place - the defense looks great! - but we're really in a rebuilding year. Last year's draft was a breath of fresh air, this year's looks promising, but player development hasn't been great and the roster shows it. The line needs more talent, not even All Star talent just solid, journeyman talent. TEs... (will they all end up on IR this year?)... I could go on.

Fangio has his work cut out for him but I think that's ok. I believe he took the gig knowing this and has a play for this year and beyond which will focus on developing players on the roster but that will be a bumpy and painful road. He's already got guys sold on him as a teacher, they'll have to trust him and work on improving from week 1 through 16.

Then there will be next years draft. Having a year under his belt he and the coaching staff will be intimately aware of the team needs and can work on getting players in the draft - we should have a number of picks with some good opportunity. Then there are UDFAs and FAs. For all the problems Elway had with past drafts he's done well in this area.

To me successful is the team once again getting back on it's feet by playing competitive and disciplined football - games that you actually look forward to watching.

The circus has finally left town. Time to get back to work.

Denver might have as many as eleven draft picks next year.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

My expectations are pretty low for this season, but anything is possible in the NFL, if we get some bounces who knows what can happen.

Looking at this season objectively, this years team simply seems behind the Chiefs and Chargers, if the division was easier maybe I’d have more hope.

But, in all honesty, would another bad year really be all that bad? Elway has done better drafting earlier these last couple years, a third year drafting in the top 10 could do wonders for the talent level on this team.

Get the young players experience and another good draft next year, that should be goals. Rivers is getting older, plus KC and LAC will both have to find ways to pay all their players, if we meet those 2 goals above this year, our window could be opening just as the Chiefs and Charges are closing.