Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,898
    My simple answer is the eye test. Do they execute and play like they are well coached. I can only tell that by seeing them for a season. If they looked like they are being coached well, the record should pan itself out.

    And to add, success also means never hearing the words 'tall' or 'crisp' to describe anything Bronco related...ever

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,896
    "Simple ... what would be a successful realistic season [?]"

    Can't modify an adjective with another adjective, so successfully realistic? Or, What would be a realistically successful season?

    After two losing seasons in a row, a winning season might be considered realistically successful. Winning more games than those lost can be considered successful.

    So, 9-7 could be considered realistically successful. 10-6 could be unexpectedly successful. Anything over that would be outrageously successful.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    15,974
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    "Simple ... what would be a successful realistic season [?]"

    Can't modify an adjective with another adjective, so successfully realistic? Or, What would be a realistically successful season?

    After two losing seasons in a row, a winning season might be considered realistically successful. Winning more games than those lost can be considered successful.

    So, 9-7 could be considered realistically successful. 10-6 could be unexpectedly successful. Anything over that would be outrageously successful.
    Indeed (British accent necessary)

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    15,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    Football is back! I missed all of my fellow broncomaniacs around here. I always take an off-season off with the guys but check in every now and then. So I didn't see a thread on this topic and if there is one forgive me you can merge it if that's the case.

    Okay now to the good stuff. Realistically, Weat in y'alls mind is a successful season for the broncos this year? Back to back losing seasons under VJ, left all of us fans in uncharted territory.

    Elway made changes, some good and some bad but to me i give him credit he's trying hard to get us competitive and I thought he had a decent draft with an exception to lock but that's a story for another time, being realistic a successful season to me is at least 8 wins. I'm not expecting playoffs, we have a tough division and I feel like we would need 11 plus wins to keep pace with the chargers and the chiefs.

    I mainly would like to see us become competitive again. Maybe my out look will be looked at negatively but I'm not meaning for it to be.

    I kind of look at divisions as who have the best QB and I rank the teams accordingly. If i look at ours I would say...maholmes 1 Rivers 2 and between Flacco and Carr well 3a and 3b which is which? I'm not sure Carr took a step back last year but if he got back to form I would put him over Flacco.

    Then I look at defenses which in my opinion, I'd be hard pressed to not put the chargers at 1a with us being maybe 1b raiders 3 Kc 4. The reason this is important for me is because the team with the best defense in the division usually give your team the chance to win and pull an upset even against teams with great qbs.

    I can break down different stats but I'll save it for a different thread as I kind of got off track.

    I think we have improved just on an x's and o's standpoint alone. The coaching staff is upgraded and we have a somewhat better QB in my opinion than we've had, but is it enough to get us to 11 wins? I don't think so. Of course none of us will know until the season kicks off and we have played a few games.

    So I would love to hear thoughts from most of you. Where are the broncos at realistically in your opinion? I was listening to Sirius XM and while I love all my Broncos fans I think a caller said he'd be shocked if the brincos didn't finish the season at 12-4. I say pump the breaks that's being way to overly optimistic but I've been known to be wrong plenty of times. If his prediction held water I'd love that I just don't see it so I'm turning to you all to see what you think.

    Thanks for the time to reply and again I missed all of you guys and girls. Here's to a good season ahead!!!!

    Donít undersell the Broncos

    That 1a defense of the chargers looked good against sorry teams and was exposed by every top ten scoring offense they played
    ( except Seattle) the pats put 41 on them in the post with ease

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dinner Table, Hungry
    Posts
    2,312
    Playoffs...

    10

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,959
    Realistic........hmmm.
    Flacco is a mediocre qb....
    We go 7-9 maybe 8-8. I want us to go 9-7 or better with a wildcard.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    "Let's just give them Keenum for an, "I owe you".
    Adopted player Lindsey

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,816
    I think a realistic good season is 9-7 and right on the cusp of the playoffs. I think our absolute ceiling is if Flacco plays solid QB, and all the young guys on offense develop a bit faster than anticipated. The defense should be very good, but if the offense is also solid, I think the defense will be even better and the sky is the limit. However, the offense could easily be a disaster again and while we all expect Fangio to be way better than Vance was, we don't really know yet.

    I'm expecting 8-8/9-7, but I'd be pretty happy if we have a winning record and are in playoff contention. Next season I expect us back in the playoffs.
    Administrator


  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    12,955
    If you want to feel good....OH man we are making the playoffs this year! Every team has legit shot to win it all come this time of year man!


    Keep going if you want the truth...



    We compete hard ever week.
    Lock stays off the field in 2019 and works on the things he did not learn in college.
    Run offense we enter the top 5
    Passing offense we enter top 15
    Hopefully...we see some serious improvement in team pass protection.
    Defense becomes elite in some areas but can not yet hold up an offense with many flaws.


    Realistically we had too many parts of the team that were not properly fixed for too many seasons including ILB, OL, QB and coaching. We also have other areas that use to be good but I am wondering if we doing enough to fix the holes in those areas. Frankly we should feel lucky if we are competing for the playoffs this year.

    I do feel we are on the correct path I just think we have been a top 10 draft team for 2 years for a reason.

    Ultimately the goal of this franchise is to be competing for a Ring so no one will say all of that publicly.

    Forget what I typed....go back to thinking every team has a legit shot to win it all right now.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    593
    For me, itís a winning season and hopefully, the offense will be more exciting to watch. For the past few years, itís been dreadfully boring.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    280
    I'm for tanking and getting a new GM. Sorry John. He's hung up on arms. We need football players. It's painful for me to watch Devin Bush in a Steeler uniform. He was right there for the taking and John passed. Everybody thinks we were lucky to get Lock, but I don't see football DNA in his eyes. I'm also unimpressed with whoever the qb coach is because I don't like running quarterbacks. I would fine a qb everytime he crosses the line of scrimmage. I don't like the Patriots, but Tom Brady never crosses the line of scrimmage and over time they win.
    Let's get a new GM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,195
    Quote Originally Posted by welderhead View Post
    I'm for tanking and getting a new GM. Sorry John. He's hung up on arms. We need football players. It's painful for me to watch Devin Bush in a Steeler uniform. He was right there for the taking and John passed. Everybody thinks we were lucky to get Lock, but I don't see football DNA in his eyes. I'm also unimpressed with whoever the qb coach is because I don't like running quarterbacks. I would fine a qb everytime he crosses the line of scrimmage. I don't like the Patriots, but Tom Brady never crosses the line of scrimmage and over time they win.
    Let's get a new GM.
    What an interesting take. Don't agree, but hey, points for originality

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,563
    Quote Originally Posted by welderhead View Post
    I'm for tanking and getting a new GM. Sorry John. He's hung up on arms. We need football players. It's painful for me to watch Devin Bush in a Steeler uniform. He was right there for the taking and John passed. Everybody thinks we were lucky to get Lock, but I don't see football DNA in his eyes. I'm also unimpressed with whoever the qb coach is because I don't like running quarterbacks. I would fine a qb everytime he crosses the line of scrimmage. I don't like the Patriots, but Tom Brady never crosses the line of scrimmage and over time they win.
    Let's get a new GM.
    Wow, a bit early for the whole fire Elway talk. So you never liked John as a QB? Considering he was arguably one of the best all time dual threat QBs that ever played. I think he had an ok career.

    Hilarious that so many people are writing off Lock. He's not "a running" QB....that would be Lamar Jackson. Lock is a QB that has the ability to run if needed. He will always look to throw 1st. I would of liked Bush too but Fant will be a probowl TE his whole career bearing injury. And in that trade we get locked down an anchor on the line, a fix at TE and our future QB, that's a win to me


    Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,326
    I believe a realistic successful season would be 9-7. Splitting the AFC West at 4-4 seems realistic, 5-3 being optimistic. Looking at the rest of the games I think itís possible to go 5-3 ending the season 9-7 with slight odds to sneak in the playoffs as a wild card.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I believe a realistic successful season would be 9-7. Splitting the AFC West at 4-4 seems realistic, 5-3 being optimistic. Looking at the rest of the games I think it’s possible to go 5-3 ending the season 9-7 with slight odds to sneak in the playoffs as a wild card.
    That is pretty much my realistic belief too. I have posted before that the 3 games before the bye will be telling (Chiefs, Colts, Browns) they could realistically go into that stretch at 3-3, maybe a win better and come out of it 3-6 - losing all three - but win the home games and they come out of that stretch at 5-4. I think its realistic then to go at least 4-3 in the last 7, maybe even a 5-2 = 10-6.
    I agree with you that a 9-7 is the most realistic best record though. Successful might be different ... 8-8 in my view would be successful relative to how the team has done the last 2 years, it is progress. With a new coaching staff, OL haven't played beside each other, young WRs it could be difficult to even get to 8-8. There will be teams that are going to be better than is thought right now and some worse so it is kind of futile to try and guess right now.
    But it is fun to predict and then see what happens.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,384
    Quote Originally Posted by RunYouOver View Post
    I think a realistic good season is 9-7 and right on the cusp of the playoffs. I think our absolute ceiling is if Flacco plays solid QB, and all the young guys on offense develop a bit faster than anticipated. The defense should be very good, but if the offense is also solid, I think the defense will be even better and the sky is the limit. However, the offense could easily be a disaster again and while we all expect Fangio to be way better than Vance was, we don't really know yet.

    I'm expecting 8-8/9-7, but I'd be pretty happy if we have a winning record and are in playoff contention. Next season I expect us back in the playoffs.
    Ditto on most of this.

    I don't have high expectations this season --not with a brand new ROOKIE coaching staff. They can have this year to figure out the best ways to run this team and make the rookie coaching mistakes --I expect some growing pains. And the schedule looks tough at this point, though some of those teams may slip this year to our benefit, hopefully.

    I do expect better defense though.
    Fangio/Donatell has to be >> than VJ/Woods, right? RIGHT!?!?
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •