Movin Ain't Easy

We've moved a number of times. Once my company did all the work, as part of a job opportunity. That was easy!

But this has been our hardest move ever! Now, moving from a house to a condo often does require the rightsizing of needs, which includes a load of work, including various sales, donations to charity and so on. We are fortunate that the new place is still pretty big, but less "hiding spots", like basements.

But it's been decades since our last move, and some of the processes (and costs) are not quite as friendly! Not to mention how many points of contact putting you in a queue to talk to them. Seems like we've been working a bit every day for the last 2-3 months, fixing up the house, buying and selling, and doing all the chores that come with moving.

It is a good thing though, because I feel comfortable that if anything happens to me, my wife will be able to stay in this place, though it would be a bit roomy, for as long as she wanted to...without having to do another move. That's my plan anyway.

How bout you folks, movin been ok for you?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    We've moved a number of times. Once my company did all the work, as part of a job opportunity. That was easy!

But this has been our hardest move ever! Now, moving from a house to a condo often does require the rightsizing of needs, which includes a load of work, including various sales, donations to charity and so on. We are fortunate that the new place is still pretty big, but less "hiding spots", like basements.

But it's been decades since our last move, and some of the processes (and costs) are not quite as friendly! Not to mention how many points of contact putting you in a queue to talk to them. Seems like we've been working a bit every day for the last 2-3 months, fixing up the house, buying and selling, and doing all the chores that come with moving.

It is a good thing though, because I feel comfortable that if anything happens to me, my wife will be able to stay in this place, though it would be a bit roomy, for as long as she wanted to...without having to do another move. That's my plan anyway.

How bout you folks, movin been ok for you?
    That can be difficult. What to keep, what to get rid of. So many things have good memories attached to them. I've read where people advise to "take a picture of it" and get rid of the actual item. That can work for some things, but not all.

Father was in the AF, so we moved a lot. Being a kid, it was fun. New adventures. New schools, new friends, that wasn't always fun. Hubby was in the AF when we got married and even as an adult, I found moving fun.

Your wife is very fortunate that you are looking to her future. to you.

Good luck in the move.
    Last edited by Peanut; 08-13-2019 at 11:38 PM.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    That can be difficult. What to keep, what to get rid of. So many things have good memories attached to them. I've read where people advise to "take a picture of it" and get rid of the actual item. That can work for some things, but not all.

Father was in the AF, so we moved a lot. Being a kid, it was fun. New adventures. New schools, new friends, that wasn't always fun. Hubby was in the AF when we got married and even as an adult, I found moving fun.

Your wife is very fortunate that you are looking to her future. to you.

Good luck in the move.
    Yes, in past I looked forward to most of the moves. Of course I was younger then, and did not mind the effort. Lots of anticipation. I am not as flexible these days (ha ha...some say I was never that flexible!), so this one is harder. But the time and situation was right. And I do believe we will meet some really nice people there, given our knowledge of the place. Good condo. Nice property. Close to where we live now. And a wonderful park for long walks, right beside.

I will just need some time to adjust. My wife on the other hand, can't wait!

I am sure you are very adept at moving, given your experiences. I sometimes felt bad for kids in school who moved the way you did, as they had to start anew in various schools. But as you say, it can be fun as well, and it sounds like you embraced the positive side.

Thank you for your kind words!
    Last edited by Peanut; 08-13-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Yes, in past I looked forward to most of the moves. Of course I was younger then, and did not mind the effort. Lots of anticipation. I am not as flexible these days (ha ha...some say I was never that flexible!), so this one is harder. But the time and situation was right. And I do believe we will meet some really nice people there, given our knowledge of the place. Good condo. Nice property. Close to where we live now. And a wonderful park for long walks, right beside.

I will just need some time to adjust. My wife on the other hand, can't wait!

I am sure you are very adept at moving, given your experiences. I sometimes felt bad for kids in school who moved the way you did, as they had to start anew in various schools. But as you say, it can be fun as well, and it sounds like you embraced the positive side.

Thank you for your kind words!
    I edited your post because I misspelled a word. Teach me to type in semi-darkness. I did not want you to "lick" the move.

My favorite move was to England from Spain. Going through France and across the English Channel. Living on the economy (not on base) and being right on the North Sea.

Change is hard sometimes, but it sounds like there are a lot of positives for you with this move. And your wife is happy. That's a bonus.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    I edited your post because I misspelled a word. Teach me to type in semi-darkness. I did not want you to "lick" the move.

My favorite move was to England from Spain. Going through France and across the English Channel. Living on the economy (not on base) and being right on the North Sea.

Change is hard sometimes, but it sounds like there are a lot of positives for you with this move. And your wife is happy. That's a bonus.
    Geez....I knew about some of your relocations from past posts, but you have a much better understanding of travel and "seeing the world" then many others. The main difference....you didn't just see the resorts and the cool stuff. You lived it. There is no comparison. In fact, I always appreciate those travellers who want to get off the tourist track and see how the folks live, and what they eat, and what they do. That's pure travel.

(note: I do like to lick moves, if they include ice cream!)
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-14-2019 at 07:10 AM.