M. Shanahan 'was close' to returning to Broncos

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...urning-broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As he watched his son coach against the team he guided for 14 seasons Saturday, former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan revealed he was indeed poised to return as the team's coach before the 2018 season, but that "it didn't work out."

The fact that Broncos president of football operations/general manager John Elway had extensive discussions with Shanahan after the Broncos had finished 5-11 in Vance Joseph's first season as coach has been well known. But Saturday, as Shanahan watched his son Kyle lead the San Francisco 49ers in joint practices against the franchise he led to two Super Bowl wins, Mike Shanahan spoke openly about his near return to the sideline.

"I was close, I was close,'' Shanahan said. "One thing that has to happen is you all have to be on the same page. One thing you've got to make sure of when you are a head football coach that the owner, the GM, the quarterback are all on the same page. And if it doesn't happen the chances of you winning the Super Bowl aren't very good. ... I had a great conversation with John as everybody knows, it didn't work out, sometimes it works out for the right reasons.''

At the time Elway and team CEO Joe Ellis were open to a Shanahan return, but there was some feeling in the organization that Shanahan's return should only come after a full coaching search with other candidates being interviewed as well. Ellis was also with the team when owner Pat Bowlen fired Shanahan after an 8-8 finish in the 2008 season.

Shortly after the 2017 season ended, and a deal to re-hire Shanahan didn't happen, Elway announced Joseph would then return for the 2018 season. The Broncos finished 6-10 last season and Joseph was fired as Vic Fangio was hired in January.

While Shanahan had attended a variety of team functions in the years since his firing, he had not attended a Broncos practice since that 2008 season until July 20, just after this year's training camp opened. Shanahan said Elway, Fangio and offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello, who was on Kyle Shanahan's staff with the 49ers before he was hired by the Broncos, each had a hand in him coming back to practices.

"It's great to be back ... great to see them, great to be a part of it,'' Shanahan said Saturday. "... John's invited me back several times over the years ... And Vic and the coaches, with Scangarello being here ... it was time to get back here and kind of enjoy it and the years we had with the Broncos.''

At 146-91 (including playoffs) in 14 seasons as Broncos coach and a two-time Super Bowl winner, Shanahan is the franchise's all-time winningest coach. He closed out his career with the Redskins from 2010 to 2013 and was asked Saturday if he misses coaching.

"You always miss coaching, but it's been five years,'' Shanahan said. "I made the decision a long time ago, right when I got fired (by the Redskins), I said if I didn't get the right job right away, where you had a chance to win a Super Bowl, that I was probably going to do what I'm doing, being a dad, kind of following your son, the organization, being a part of it.''

"Mike's always been a big part of this organization,'' Elway said. "And it's nice to get him back out, in my mind it was never really closed, but it was nice to get the communication back -- I've played some golf with Mike ... it's always good to see him out here because I always enjoy talking football with him ... glad he was able to come back and know that this is home to him.''

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

Kinda glad it didnít work out.

Mike Shanahan was good when he had Elway and mediocre without him. There are other factors as well that make it a good thing that he didnít return.

I still appreciate what he did for the team. Iím just glad we didnít get the do over.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

Wasn't it Joe Ellis that nixed that deal? Shannahan would be a great OC, but seems he would never do it.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Im super cool with Vic Fangio as the coach. I think hes going to turn the team around
    -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play [U]EVERY[/U] time on every drive[/COLOR][/B]. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Kinda glad it didnít work out.

Mike Shanahan was good when he had Elway and mediocre without him. There are other factors as well that make it a good thing that he didnít return.

I still appreciate what he did for the team. Iím just glad we didnít get the do over.
    Couldn't you make this case for almost any HC that loses their top QB. Or when they are looking for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    Im super cool with Vic Fangio as the coach. I think he's going to turn the team around
    I agree with you! I honestly see this playing out similar to the Fox era, which is not a bad thing because Fox brought a much needed reset after the McD era. And because of that, I love the Fangio hire. And it's not a knock to say "similar". At the end of the day Fox brought us 4 Division crowns, 1 Conference Crown, and a SB appearance. So regardless of anything else, that's a successful 4 year HC run. So I see this playing out in similar fashion. Stakes are higher because the Division as a whole is better. And yes, Flacco is not PM, but he is a true starting QB and not a backup who we thrust in that role hoping for starter level results (the departures of Trev/CK/PL are similar to the end of the KO/Tebow era).

I think had Pappy Shanny came back last year, it would've been interesting to see how things played out. The best case for it to work offensively would've been for Kubes to be his OC. But that would've meant his team that, as we saw this off-season, Elway wanted ZERO part of. So that would have probably meant the return of Fassel...........
    But the biggest issue would've been on the defense. Would he have done the smart thing and reached out to someone like Nolan? Or would he have attempted to bring ol Slowik back????
    That's the issue with Pappy Shanny. You could get the amazing HC with an Avengers type assistant coaching lineup or you get the squad he over protected and got him fired.

With all that said, I still think Kyle is going to end up here in the next 3-5 years. And that's the Shanny I'd rather have at this point in time. I'd even bet that Mike would come on as a consultant or smoother customary role if Kyle were here. So we'd still get the wisdom, but the next evolution of what we know.
    #swapping

I loved Shanny with the Broncos and I was sad when he was fired, even after a losing season. But love that we have Fangio, and can't wait to see how things play out this season. I remember watching Shanny with the Redskins, didn't like how things went between him and McNabb and felt he was a bit too predictable ... I'll always be a fan of his years with Denver though, just happy to not go back to them.

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

This is old news. why is espn recycling the story again?

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Couldn't you make this case for almost any HC that loses their top QB. Or when they are looking for a replacement
    I think Shanahan had a chance to be good again with Jake Plummer, if he had drafted Haloti Ngata instead of Jay Cutler.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    This is old news. why is espn recycling the story again?
    Because Shanahan attended practice yesterday and did a presser, and mentioned that he as close to taking the Denver job, but not everyone was on the same page.

I think Shanahan had a chance to be good again with Jake Plummer, if he had drafted Haloti Ngata instead of Jay Cutler.
    Plummer was aweful before Shanahan got him. 5 losing seasons in 6 years. His ratings were 73.1, 75.0, 50.8, 66.0, 79.6 and 65.7. In fact Plummer's best years were with Shanahan...until his last one when he had a rating of 68.8....in Plummer's last year in Denver he was just as horrible as he was before he came to Denver.

Plummer was never going to win a Super Bowl. Plummer was no daisy.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Plummer was aweful before Shanahan got him. 5 losing seasons in 6 years. His ratings were 73.1, 75.0, 50.8, 66.0, 79.6 and 65.7. In fact Plummer's best years were with Shanahan...until his last one when he had a rating of 68.8....in Plummer's last year in Denver he was just as horrible as he was before he came to Denver.

Plummer was never going to win a Super Bowl. Plummer was no daisy.
    Would Plummer have been that bad if he had Haloti Ngata as a teammate instead of Cutler?

Donít tell me they couldnít have gotten to a Super Bowl when they got to an AFCCG.

Even Elway didnít win a Super Bowl until they got a dominant running game led by a dominant running back.

What Plummer did before he got to Denver is irrelevant.

What matters is what he did in Denver.

I still say Shanahan would have been better off drafting Ngata rather than Cutler. I will say that I was hoping for a running back more so than anything else. I forget which one, I think it was Moroney(that would have been horrible). I think Marshawn Lynch came out the following season when I was hoping for him.

My assessment of Plummer is after the fact because I have already admitted before that I was on the Cutler train at the time.

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge a mistake.

Would Plummer have been that bad if he had Haloti Ngata as a teammate instead of Cutler?

Don’t tell me they couldn’t have gotten to a Super Bowl when they got to an AFCCG.

Even Elway didn’t win a Super Bowl until they got a dominant running game led by a dominant running back.

What Plummer did before he got to Denver is irrelevant.

What matters is what he did in Denver.
    Well when he started his career with awful performance and his last year in Denver had just as awful of a performance I think it is pretty obvious Plummer regressed. Lot of QBs do it for a lot of reasons. Plummer was just like most QBs in that aspect. It is helpful to look at the whole picture and not just cherry pick the good times....imo it also explains what happened in 2006 when Plummer's performance was awful while the defense carried the team to 7-4.

It is interesting you mentioning Elway being part of a team...well Plummer had the 2nd, 4th, 2nd best rushing attack in the NFL yet when he got to the playoffs his QB rating was under 80 in 3 of the 4 playoff games in Denver. If you extend his playoff record to Arz his rating was under 80 in 5 of 6 games. The only game he had a good rating was with Shanahan as his coach.

His total career playoff performance was 2 wins and 4 losses while throwing 7 TD, 10 INT and fumbling 5 times. 15 int/fumbles in 6 playoff games is BAD. Only one game in his playoff career did Plummer have more TDs than INTs....and then we can add 5 fumbles on top of that lack of playoff performance.

Even an epic defense will struggle to pull a QB prone to turnovers to a Ring against playoff teams 3-4 weeks in a row.

Like I said in the post you quoted...Plummer was no daisy.

There was nothing like the Shanny/Elway years where our team attitude seemed to change from 'I hope we don't lose another SB' to 'watch out NFL, we're coming for you!' That said, I've never really wanted Shanny to return as I'm concerned the game has passed him by (especially without Alex Gibbs by his side working his magic with the OL), and it would be seen as an obvious desperate nostalgia move like the Raiders bringing back Gruden. OTOH, I would have been ecstatic to see him replace VJ after 1 year before our proud reputation was dragged through the mud for a 2nd consecutive season...I'm pretty confident Shanny could have done much better without even breaking a sweat
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    There was nothing like the Shanny/Elway years where our team attitude seemed to change from 'I hope we don't lose another SB' to 'watch out NFL, we're coming for you!' That said, I've never really wanted Shanny to return as I'm concerned the game has passed him by (especially without Alex Gibbs by his side working his magic with the OL), and it would be seen as an obvious desperate nostalgia move like the Raiders bringing back Gruden. OTOH, I would have been ecstatic to see him replace VJ after 1 year before our proud reputation was dragged through the mud for a 2nd consecutive season...I'm pretty confident Shanny could have done much better without even breaking a sweat
    I remember even Elway's mom was asking if we have to go to another Super Bowl. I really do not think some of the younger fans understand just how big the hole was the Shanahan and Elway dug this franchise out of to not only win back to back Super Bowls but in the way it was done.

While I defend Shanahan tooth and nail on these boards because of my appreciation of what he did I do understand his flaws. With that said he was a better Head Coach than three of the four men who followed him.

Sometimes I wonder if fans realize how good things are and that changing things will not always make it better.