Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,536

    Rookie Quarterbacks Not Named Lock

    Thought it would be fun to have one thread with comments for the 2019 rookie quarterbacks (not named Lock).

    I havenít been able to watch all preseason games however watched a few with Game>pass.

    Jarrett Stidham has been very impressive. He appears to have command of the offense and shows a lot of poise in the pocket. He doesnít have a cannon arm but can really spin a pretty ball. Heís played like a veteran so far. Against the Titans he threw an absolutely gorgeous back shoulder pass for a TD. Heís also made a few nice plays with his legs.

    Ryan Finley looked solid as well. Maybe not as impressive as Stidham, but really looks comfortable. He made one play by stepping up in the pocket under pressure. He led drives like heís been out there a while.

    Kyler Murray played decent in his first game but nothing spectacular. The Raiders defense looked prepared to contain him. He was very inaccurate, especially from the pocket. Itís much harder to complete passes with tight windows. Hard to tell how heíll do moving forward.

    There are other threads for some of these rookie quarterbacks, but thought it would be nice to have one place to post as these young guys develop.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,914
    I think stidham has been highly impressive. Guys like Stidham, and to an extent Lock. Are not getting their offenses tailored to them specifically. Guys like Kyler, Haskins, and even Jones are geared towards making them successful now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,536
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I think stidham has been highly impressive. Guys like Stidham, and to an extent Lock. Are not getting their offenses tailored to them specifically. Guys like Kyler, Haskins, and even Jones are geared towards making them successful now.
    I forgot to mention Jones and Haskins. Jones played really well in his first preseason game. The second game was strong with respect to passing, but he struggled with ball security - I think one mishandled snap and stripped once or twice (I believe twice). On a side note, Cody Latimer played like a Pro Bowl receiver.

    Haskins was awful in the first preseason game. He improved in the second game and flashed with a beautiful 55 yard TD. It will be interesting to see if they avoid the ďsafeĒ option with Keenum and start Haskins. I think they would be better off to start Haskins to learn on the job.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I forgot to mention Jones and Haskins. Jones played really well in his first preseason game. The second game was strong with respect to passing, but he struggled with ball security - I think one mishandled snap and stripped once or twice (I believe twice). On a side note, Cody Latimer played like a Pro Bowl receiver.

    Haskins was awful in the first preseason game. He improved in the second game and flashed with a beautiful 55 yard TD. It will be interesting to see if they avoid the ďsafeĒ option with Keenum and start Haskins. I think they would be better off to start Haskins to learn on the job.
    Yup Jones is probably in the best place be could be. The offense Eli runs will marry very well with his skillset, and they also haven't stayed away from adding RPOs for him as well.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,536
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Yup Jones is probably in the best place be could be. The offense Eli runs will marry very well with his skillset, and they also haven't stayed away from adding RPOs for him as well.
    Although itís too soon to say, the Giants may have found their future QB.

    Thus far the 2019 class is playing better than some experts predicted. Maybe not Jones and Haskins, but the rest of the class has played well. Obviously itís a small sample of playing time.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-18-2019 at 07:35 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,575
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I think stidham has been highly impressive. Guys like Stidham, and to an extent Lock. Are not getting their offenses tailored to them specifically. Guys like Kyler, Haskins, and even Jones are geared towards making them successful now.
    That's a really good point. The thing with Jones too, how NFL ready he is fundamentally.

    Gruden's offense is very good for Haskins, because Haskins is good at seeing things presnap, and it enables him to get the ball out fast. Then, as Haskins is prone to doing, you take your shots downfield. The main thing I think Haskins still needs to clean up is his footwork, because his accuracy without his feet being set is still an issue. If Haskins does play a large chunk this year, I can see him putting up huge passing yardage numbers, but being up and down.

    I think defenses are going to continue playing Arizona aggressively until Murray consistently makes them pay for it. Murray seems to know how to beat this within the scheme, but his downfield accuracy is a matter of timing right now. I think he's improve on this as the season goes along, and hopefully Kingsbury is slow playing his hand with this offense. They're going to have to keep Johnson heavily involved, because I don't think they're going to play any defense with Joseph.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,536
    Anyone had the chance to see Will Grier play in preseason? I might watch a few highlights on Game>pass.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Anyone had the chance to see Will Grier play in preseason? I might watch a few highlights on Game>pass.
    I didn't watch the whole game but Grier was not very good, threw a pick 6 on a terrible pass, bad decision on that play. He only had 75 yards on 19 attempts and was not very accurate on many throws. Did have a couple good throws though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,314
    Haskins was touted as being accurate coming out of Ohio St. but so far isn't looking all that accurate, yet. He did hit a long pass for a TD but other than that he missed some easy passes. It may take him some time this season to get used to the NFL? He did only have that one year starting in college.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,536
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Haskins was touted as being accurate coming out of Ohio St. but so far isn't looking all that accurate, yet. He did hit a long pass for a TD but other than that he missed some easy passes. It may take him some time this season to get used to the NFL? He did only have that one year starting in college.
    Thanks for posts on Grier and Haskins. It will be interesting to see if Washington will go with Haskins as the starter.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,943
    Jones has been an absolute stud so far, I had a man crush on him before the draft and he is proving to be worthy of the selection. I wish he would of been there at 10, it would been interesting to see if John would have passed on him too


    Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,536
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Jones has been an absolute stud so far, I had a man crush on him before the draft and he is proving to be worthy of the selection. I wish he would of been there at 10, it would been interesting to see if John would have passed on him too
    Jones has played exceptionally well thus far. Last week he had issues with defenders stripping the ball, but otherwise heís exceeded expectations. It will be interesting to see how Jones plays in regular season action (are the Giants going with Eli as the starter?).

    Meanwhile Haskins continues struggling - didnít take long for one year as a starter in college to show.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Jones has played exceptionally well thus far. Last week he had issues with defenders stripping the ball, but otherwise heís exceeded expectations. It will be interesting to see how Jones plays in regular season action (are the Giants going with Eli as the starter?).

    Meanwhile Haskins continues struggling - didnít take long for one year as a starter in college to show.
    What's funny though, is if it wasn't for the 2 interceptions against Cleveland (one of them was mostly on the receiver who was supposed to pick the linebacker), his preseason numbers would be right there with Keenum. Haskins is completing an abysmal .536 at 7.4 yards per attempt, and Keenum is completing .533 at 7.1 YPA. lol.

    They may have to place Colt McCoy on IR, and he might be their best quarterback right now. If I were Gruden, I would. If you yank Keenum for Haskins after week 5 or so, you've got that rookie quarterback excuse. Plus, Snyder loves Haskins. If you yank him for McCoy, and McCoy also sucks, you're probably cooked at that point.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,786
    Starters are barely playing this pre-season across the NFL, and although guys like Jones, Finley, and Stidham are killing it early here, pump the breaks a little. If any of them see any actual game action in the near future, watch defensive coordinators produce basic game plans to bring them back down to reality. On Haskins, just like Lock, they look pretty mediocre to start here, but again, it's rookie pre-season action, it doesn't mean much, plenty of bad quarterbacks have great Augusts, but never amount to anything. Paxton Lynch even looked great in his first pre-season game this year. I think Jones, Haskins, and Finley will all play regular season games this season though, so we will see how they look when it gets real.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,441
    I don't trust any QB until we actually see them in real games. Can they control the full offence of their team not just the dumbed down version they're currently running (an example of this is that on a touchdown play last week Jones forgot to send his receiver in motion before he snapped the ball)? Can they fully read and diagnose the complex defences they'll see, not just the dumbed down ones they're currently seeing?

    And truthfully the answer is probably no to both questions for most first and second year starting QBs. But until they show during the regular season that they can learn from the mistakes they make, and show that they're growing as QBs then everything we've seen is fools gold.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •