• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fantaztic7
    Banned User
    • Dec 2015

Rookie Quarterbacks Not Named Lock

Thought it would be fun to have one thread with comments for the 2019 rookie quarterbacks (not named Lock).

I haven’t been able to watch all preseason games however watched a few with Game>pass.

Jarrett Stidham has been very impressive. He appears to have command of the offense and shows a lot of poise in the pocket. He doesn’t have a cannon arm but can really spin a pretty ball. He’s played like a veteran so far. Against the Titans he threw an absolutely gorgeous back shoulder pass for a TD. He’s also made a few nice plays with his legs.

Ryan Finley looked solid as well. Maybe not as impressive as Stidham, but really looks comfortable. He made one play by stepping up in the pocket under pressure. He led drives like he’s been out there a while.

Kyler Murray played decent in his first game but nothing spectacular. The Raiders defense looked prepared to contain him. He was very inaccurate, especially from the pocket. It’s much harder to complete passes with tight windows. Hard to tell how he’ll do moving forward.

There are other threads for some of these rookie quarterbacks, but thought it would be nice to have one place to post as these young guys develop.
  • the0rangecrush
    Captain
    • Apr 2009

I think stidham has been highly impressive. Guys like Stidham, and to an extent Lock. Are not getting their offenses tailored to them specifically. Guys like Kyler, Haskins, and even Jones are geared towards making them successful now.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Fantaztic7
      Banned User
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
      I think stidham has been highly impressive. Guys like Stidham, and to an extent Lock. Are not getting their offenses tailored to them specifically. Guys like Kyler, Haskins, and even Jones are geared towards making them successful now.
      I forgot to mention Jones and Haskins. Jones played really well in his first preseason game. The second game was strong with respect to passing, but he struggled with ball security - I think one mishandled snap and stripped once or twice (I believe twice). On a side note, Cody Latimer played like a Pro Bowl receiver.

Haskins was awful in the first preseason game. He improved in the second game and flashed with a beautiful 55 yard TD. It will be interesting to see if they avoid the “safe” option with Keenum and start Haskins. I think they would be better off to start Haskins to learn on the job.

Comment

• the0rangecrush
        Captain
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        I forgot to mention Jones and Haskins. Jones played really well in his first preseason game. The second game was strong with respect to passing, but he struggled with ball security - I think one mishandled snap and stripped once or twice (I believe twice). On a side note, Cody Latimer played like a Pro Bowl receiver.

Haskins was awful in the first preseason game. He improved in the second game and flashed with a beautiful 55 yard TD. It will be interesting to see if they avoid the “safe” option with Keenum and start Haskins. I think they would be better off to start Haskins to learn on the job.
        Yup Jones is probably in the best place be could be. The offense Eli runs will marry very well with his skillset, and they also haven't stayed away from adding RPOs for him as well.
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Fantaztic7
          Banned User
          • Dec 2015

Yup Jones is probably in the best place be could be. The offense Eli runs will marry very well with his skillset, and they also haven't stayed away from adding RPOs for him as well.
          Although it’s too soon to say, the Giants may have found their future QB.

Thus far the 2019 class is playing better than some experts predicted. Maybe not Jones and Haskins, but the rest of the class has played well. Obviously it’s a small sample of playing time.
          Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-18-2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• Spice 1
            Football Immortal
            • Sep 2004

That's a really good point. The thing with Jones too, how NFL ready he is fundamentally.

Gruden's offense is very good for Haskins, because Haskins is good at seeing things presnap, and it enables him to get the ball out fast. Then, as Haskins is prone to doing, you take your shots downfield. The main thing I think Haskins still needs to clean up is his footwork, because his accuracy without his feet being set is still an issue. If Haskins does play a large chunk this year, I can see him putting up huge passing yardage numbers, but being up and down.

I think defenses are going to continue playing Arizona aggressively until Murray consistently makes them pay for it. Murray seems to know how to beat this within the scheme, but his downfield accuracy is a matter of timing right now. I think he's improve on this as the season goes along, and hopefully Kingsbury is slow playing his hand with this offense. They're going to have to keep Johnson heavily involved, because I don't think they're going to play any defense with Joseph.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
              Banned User
              • Dec 2015

Anyone had the chance to see Will Grier play in preseason? I might watch a few highlights on Game>pass.

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                Football Immortal
                • Dec 2012

Anyone had the chance to see Will Grier play in preseason? I might watch a few highlights on Game>pass.
                I didn't watch the whole game but Grier was not very good, threw a pick 6 on a terrible pass, bad decision on that play. He only had 75 yards on 19 attempts and was not very accurate on many throws. Did have a couple good throws though.
                sigpic

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                  Football Immortal
                  • Dec 2012

Haskins was touted as being accurate coming out of Ohio St. but so far isn't looking all that accurate, yet. He did hit a long pass for a TD but other than that he missed some easy passes. It may take him some time this season to get used to the NFL? He did only have that one year starting in college.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                    Banned User
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                    Haskins was touted as being accurate coming out of Ohio St. but so far isn't looking all that accurate, yet. He did hit a long pass for a TD but other than that he missed some easy passes. It may take him some time this season to get used to the NFL? He did only have that one year starting in college.
                    Thanks for posts on Grier and Haskins. It will be interesting to see if Washington will go with Haskins as the starter.

Comment

• JvDub95
                      Football Immortal
                      • Jan 2005

Jones has been an absolute stud so far, I had a man crush on him before the draft and he is proving to be worthy of the selection. I wish he would of been there at 10, it would been interesting to see if John would have passed on him too

​​​​

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                        Banned User
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                        Jones has been an absolute stud so far, I had a man crush on him before the draft and he is proving to be worthy of the selection. I wish he would of been there at 10, it would been interesting to see if John would have passed on him too
                        Jones has played exceptionally well thus far. Last week he had issues with defenders stripping the ball, but otherwise he’s exceeded expectations. It will be interesting to see how Jones plays in regular season action (are the Giants going with Eli as the starter?).

Meanwhile Haskins continues struggling - didn’t take long for one year as a starter in college to show.

Comment

• Spice 1
                          Football Immortal
                          • Sep 2004

Jones has played exceptionally well thus far. Last week he had issues with defenders stripping the ball, but otherwise he’s exceeded expectations. It will be interesting to see how Jones plays in regular season action (are the Giants going with Eli as the starter?).

Meanwhile Haskins continues struggling - didn’t take long for one year as a starter in college to show.
                          What's funny though, is if it wasn't for the 2 interceptions against Cleveland (one of them was mostly on the receiver who was supposed to pick the linebacker), his preseason numbers would be right there with Keenum. Haskins is completing an abysmal .536 at 7.4 yards per attempt, and Keenum is completing .533 at 7.1 YPA. lol.

They may have to place Colt McCoy on IR, and he might be their best quarterback right now. If I were Gruden, I would. If you yank Keenum for Haskins after week 5 or so, you've got that rookie quarterback excuse. Plus, Snyder loves Haskins. If you yank him for McCoy, and McCoy also sucks, you're probably cooked at that point.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                            Ring of Famer
                            • Sep 2009

Starters are barely playing this pre-season across the NFL, and although guys like Jones, Finley, and Stidham are killing it early here, pump the breaks a little. If any of them see any actual game action in the near future, watch defensive coordinators produce basic game plans to bring them back down to reality. On Haskins, just like Lock, they look pretty mediocre to start here, but again, it's rookie pre-season action, it doesn't mean much, plenty of bad quarterbacks have great Augusts, but never amount to anything. Paxton Lynch even looked great in his first pre-season game this year. I think Jones, Haskins, and Finley will all play regular season games this season though, so we will see how they look when it gets real.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                              Super Moderator
                              • Dec 2008

I don't trust any QB until we actually see them in real games. Can they control the full offence of their team not just the dumbed down version they're currently running (an example of this is that on a touchdown play last week Jones forgot to send his receiver in motion before he snapped the ball)? Can they fully read and diagnose the complex defences they'll see, not just the dumbed down ones they're currently seeing?

And truthfully the answer is probably no to both questions for most first and second year starting QBs. But until they show during the regular season that they can learn from the mistakes they make, and show that they're growing as QBs then everything we've seen is fools gold.

Comment

Working...
                              X