Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,650
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Starters are barely playing this pre-season across the NFL, and although guys like Jones, Finley, and Stidham are killing it early here, pump the breaks a little. If any of them see any actual game action in the near future, watch defensive coordinators produce basic game plans to bring them back down to reality. On Haskins, just like Lock, they look pretty mediocre to start here, but again, it's rookie pre-season action, it doesn't mean much, plenty of bad quarterbacks have great Augusts, but never amount to anything. Paxton Lynch even looked great in his first pre-season game this year. I think Jones, Haskins, and Finley will all play regular season games this season though, so we will see how they look when it gets real.
    Jones appears to be the real deal so far and perhaps not a reach at 6 after all. Sort of wonder if Elway traded down at 10 when Jones wasnít available. We will never really know.

    I donít actually think he will see the field this year though. Eli isnít great at his age anymore but heís never really been injury prone. So he will probably survive the season and I donít think the giants will bench him. Theyíd probably actually love to let Jones sit this year and hope Eli retires after the season. Canít over react to preseason but man it seems they may have gotten their future right so far.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Starters are barely playing this pre-season across the NFL, and although guys like Jones, Finley, and Stidham are killing it early here, pump the breaks a little. If any of them see any actual game action in the near future, watch defensive coordinators produce basic game plans to bring them back down to reality. On Haskins, just like Lock, they look pretty mediocre to start here, but again, it's rookie pre-season action, it doesn't mean much, plenty of bad quarterbacks have great Augusts, but never amount to anything. Paxton Lynch even looked great in his first pre-season game this year. I think Jones, Haskins, and Finley will all play regular season games this season though, so we will see how they look when it gets real.
    While the starters have played less overall, this is an over-generalization with respect to assessing Daniel Jones. Jones played against starters during the preseason. Heís played very well, especially compared with the pre-draft assessment by many who were highly critical of Jones.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,242
    Chad Kelly looking pretty good so far.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Chad Kelly looking pretty good so far.
    This thread is for the 2019 rookie quarterbacks.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,655
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Jones appears to be the real deal so far and perhaps not a reach at 6 after all. Sort of wonder if Elway traded down at 10 when Jones wasn’t available. We will never really know.

    I don’t actually think he will see the field this year though. Eli isn’t great at his age anymore but he’s never really been injury prone. So he will probably survive the season and I don’t think the giants will bench him. They’d probably actually love to let Jones sit this year and hope Eli retires after the season. Can’t over react to preseason but man it seems they may have gotten their future right so far.
    While I agree that Jones had a fantastic pre-season, making any judgement of him being "the real deal", or no longer a reach is way premature. I would also say regardless of what he turns into, the college tape and interest around the league for Jones at the time makes him a reach forever, he was not worthy of that pick. Now, if he can continue on his upward trend he set during the pre-season, a lot of people, including me, will be very wrong on Jones. But right now, even making any sort of judgement one way or the other is beyond silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    While the starters have played less overall, this is an over-generalization with respect to assessing Daniel Jones. Jones played against starters during the preseason. He’s played very well, especially compared with the pre-draft assessment by many who were highly critical of Jones.
    No doubt, I didn't think he would look this good ever, but it's way to early, but the signs for him here are great. When it comes to the Giants though, what are they doing ? Jones needs to be the starter based on the pre-season performances alone. When you throw in the high premium draft pick they drafted him with, the running game they are going to have, and the fact Jones is clearly their future, they need to get over the Eli love, he is done.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    281
    So far, I have been most impressed with Daniel Jones. Yes, it's the preseason, but he still completed over 80 percent of passes and, if you watch all of his throws, most are to receivers who have little to no seperation. And he took shots down the field and was accurate on the fade throws. Again, I'm not ordering his gold jacket yet, but he has impressed me the most. Haskins has been good, but hasn't stood out. I still don't know how everything is going to work out in Arizona for Murray. He is dynamic but I haven't seen any glimpse of how the system he is in is going to have sustainable success in the NFL, especially with that putrid offensive line. Aside from them and Lock, haven't really watched too much of the other rookie QB's.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    While I agree that Jones had a fantastic pre-season, making any judgement of him being "the real deal", or no longer a reach is way premature. I would also say regardless of what he turns into, the college tape and interest around the league for Jones at the time makes him a reach forever, he was not worthy of that pick. Now, if he can continue on his upward trend he set during the pre-season, a lot of people, including me, will be very wrong on Jones. But right now, even making any sort of judgement one way or the other is beyond silly.



    No doubt, I didn't think he would look this good ever, but it's way to early, but the signs for him here are great. When it comes to the Giants though, what are they doing ? Jones needs to be the starter based on the pre-season performances alone. When you throw in the high premium draft pick they drafted him with, the running game they are going to have, and the fact Jones is clearly their future, they need to get over the Eli love, he is done.
    I agree itís way too early to determine how Jones will play. I wasnít totally sold on him coming into the draft and thought he was average during the Senior Bowl, although thatís a small sample. It was somewhat difficult to separate his skill set from the talent around him at Duke. I think Eli will need to play very well too keep his job. If Jones plays this season it will be more challenging than preseason.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post
    So far, I have been most impressed with Daniel Jones. Yes, it's the preseason, but he still completed over 80 percent of passes and, if you watch all of his throws, most are to receivers who have little to no seperation. And he took shots down the field and was accurate on the fade throws. Again, I'm not ordering his gold jacket yet, but he has impressed me the most. Haskins has been good, but hasn't stood out. I still don't know how everything is going to work out in Arizona for Murray. He is dynamic but I haven't seen any glimpse of how the system he is in is going to have sustainable success in the NFL, especially with that putrid offensive line. Aside from them and Lock, haven't really watched too much of the other rookie QB's.
    I watched most of his snaps during preseason and would not agree he played well. He flashed a few times, for example the 55 yard touchdown was a great pass. He struggled with accuracy and missed a lot of targets when receivers were open. Iím not saying he wonít develop into a good quarterback but he has a lot to improve.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    What's funny though, is if it wasn't for the 2 interceptions against Cleveland (one of them was mostly on the receiver who was supposed to pick the linebacker), his preseason numbers would be right there with Keenum. Haskins is completing an abysmal .536 at 7.4 yards per attempt, and Keenum is completing .533 at 7.1 YPA. lol.

    They may have to place Colt McCoy on IR, and he might be their best quarterback right now. If I were Gruden, I would. If you yank Keenum for Haskins after week 5 or so, you've got that rookie quarterback excuse. Plus, Snyder loves Haskins. If you yank him for McCoy, and McCoy also sucks, you're probably cooked at that point.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...after-05-start

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Nice move by Gruden to get out of there. Lol

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Thought it would be fun to have one thread with comments for the 2019 rookie quarterbacks (not named Lock).

    I haven’t been able to watch all preseason games however watched a few with Game>pass.

    Jarrett Stidham has been very impressive. He appears to have command of the offense and shows a lot of poise in the pocket. He doesn’t have a cannon arm but can really spin a pretty ball. He’s played like a veteran so far. Against the Titans he threw an absolutely gorgeous back shoulder pass for a TD. He’s also made a few nice plays with his legs.

    Ryan Finley looked solid as well. Maybe not as impressive as Stidham, but really looks comfortable. He made one play by stepping up in the pocket under pressure. He led drives like he’s been out there a while.

    Kyler Murray played decent in his first game but nothing spectacular. The Raiders defense looked prepared to contain him. He was very inaccurate, especially from the pocket. It’s much harder to complete passes with tight windows. Hard to tell how he’ll do moving FORWARD.

    There are other threads for some of these rookie quarterbacks, but thought it would be nice to have one place to post as these young guys develop.
    He has thrown for 1,324 yards 4 tds and 4 interceptions. Not the stellar performance I was hoping for this year but there is still a lot of football to play and hopefully he will excel as the season progresses. I have high hopes for him and the rest of the SOONERS that are playing in the NFL.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,655
    Daniel Jones with his third straight reality check after that amazing debut.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Daniel Jones with his third straight reality check after that amazing debut.
    The Patriots are 140-24 at Gillette Stadium, so every NFL team/quarterback gets a reality check. Giants inactives on offense; Wayne Gallman Jr., RB, Saquon Barkley, RB, Chad Slade, G, Eric Smith, T, Sterling Shepard, WR and Evan Engram, TE. Jones had a rough game overall but I liked his poise to keep working. After a rough start he put a nice ball in there for Tate on the long TD. The outcome vs #1 defense with almost no talent on offense was predictable.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    He has thrown for 1,324 yards 4 tds and 4 interceptions. Not the stellar performance I was hoping for this year but there is still a lot of football to play and hopefully he will excel as the season progresses. I have high hopes for him and the rest of the SOONERS that are playing in the NFL.
    I havenít been able to watch him play other than a few highlights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •