• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fantaztic7
    Banned User
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    Yes he does need to be coddled imo. David Carr is an example of a guy thrown in the fire. And you saying he can win 4 games is just another example why he should wait. Let him practice week to week, watch game film, see the speed of the NFL. It worked great with Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers. And like I said once were out of playoff contention, get him some playing time. Their is zero reason to rush right now, and Joe Flacco is respected by the players on this team Drew Lock has to earn their respect.
    Sounds like you might not understand his background.

Comment

• EddieMac
      Canuck Mod, eh!
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      That's a scalding hot take. But I have to disagree with most of it. I would also questions who cares about the players abilities deep on the depth chart? Players 54-90 will be cut on Aug 31st. Whether they can do your basics or not they will be unemployed. And the good news is that players 54-90 on every roster will be cut, so if you feel like some other team's 56th player does something better than your 52nd player, you can release them and sign the other player.

Depth is the most overblown thing in the preseason. People get all upset because the third string is getting hammered by someone else's third string. But most of those players will be out of the league, and you're never going to have mass substitutions like that. The depth that matters is whether your 5th corner can come in and play well with 3-4 starting DBs when called upon? Can your 6th o-lineman step in without a noticeable drop-off if one of your starters is injured? That's depth, not how an entire unit of guys who will be unemployed in 11 days perform together.

Great take...........
      sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
        Football Immortal
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        Sounds like you might not understand his background.
        i coddled my kids til they were old enough to do stuff on their own - eat, walk, talk, lose the diapers etc.
        I don’t care about his background
        I want the kid to be out Qb for the next 10 to 15 years not another guy ran out to save the franchise. He needs to sit and learn. We have a starting QB in Flacco, no need to rush the kid.
        sigpic

Comment

• Fantaztic7
          Banned User
          • Dec 2015

i coddled my kids til they were old enough to do stuff on their own - eat, walk, talk, lose the diapers etc.
          I want the kid to be out Qb for the next 10 to 15 years not another guy ran out to save the franchise. He needs to sit and learn. We have a starting QB in Flacco, no need to rush the kid.
          Since you don’t care about his background, you don’t have enough knowledge to know what he needs.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
            Captain
            • Aug 2008

Yet the QBs who bust most often are the QBs who start less than 4 games their rookie years. I dont know where this narrative that playing early is bad for QBs, if anything it is the most significant catalyst for growth and development.

Mahomes, the only early-round QB in the last 10 years to not bust after playing in less than 4 games as a rookie even said he learned more in his 1 game starting as a rookie than the rest of the year behind Alex Smith.

If you want a guy to he your face of the franchise guy, your decade long starter, you have to get him playing time asap. If he isnt mentally fit to handle the inconsistent highs and lows of being a young player, then he wasn't worth his salt anyway. The ones who are, will respond; they will adapt, learn, and grow as a QB through each mistake on the field. That is not learned in 7 on 7s in shells.

Comment

• 58Miller
              Football Immortal
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
              Yet the QBs who bust most often are the QBs who start less than 4 games their rookie years. I dont know where this narrative that playing early is bad for QBs, if anything it is the most significant catalyst for growth and development.

Mahomes, the only early-round QB in the last 10 years to not bust after playing in less than 4 games as a rookie even said he learned more in his 1 game starting as a rookie than the rest of the year behind Alex Smith.

If you want a guy to he your face of the franchise guy, your decade long starter, you have to get him playing time asap. If he isnt mentally fit to handle the inconsistent highs and lows of being a young player, then he wasn't worth his salt anyway. The ones who are, will respond; they will adapt, learn, and grow as a QB through each mistake on the field. That is not learned in 7 on 7s in shells.
              We don’t need him to start yet, and some QBs turn out ok if they sit first.
              These guys have turned out ok.
              Aaron Rodgers
              Tom Brady
              Pat Mahomes
              Drew Brees
              Phillip Rivers
              Last edited by 58Miller; 08-20-2019, 05:19 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                Football Immortal
                • Jul 2013

Since you don’t care about his background, you don’t have enough knowledge to know what he needs.
                I’m definitely notqualified, but seems like the Broncos want to allow the kid to grow and aren’t ready to throw him to the wolves just yet.
                Last edited by 58Miller; 08-20-2019, 05:20 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                  Banned User
                  • Dec 2015

I’m definitely notqualified, but seems like the Broncos want to allow the kid to grow and aren’t ready to throw him to the wolves just yet.
                  You said he needed to be coddled, not the Broncos. If he’s named the #2, which is likely depending on the severity of his injury, he’ll need to be ready to takeover as soon as the season opener. If you knew more about his background you might have a different take on “coddling”. As far as the Broncos, Fangio hasn’t sugar coated his comments about Lock. Lock has responded positively so that should address any opinion about coddling.
                  Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• 58Miller
                    Football Immortal
                    • Jul 2013

You said he needed to be coddled, not the Broncos.
                    Your totally right.

I guess I just view developing a young talent, who could and would be thrown into the fire immediately as being coddled, and I don’t view it as a bad thing.

Coddled - meaning to treat in an overprotective way.

What I think the time sitting will help:
                    - Lock can truly understand our offense
                    - he can watch Flacco and the rest of the starters learn what works and doesn’t and he won’t pay the price
                    - the coaches will be able to see what plays best fit Locks abilities
                    - he can build chemistry and gain the teams respect over a season

This is a new offense for everyone on this team why throw a young QB in there and make him learn with everyone else. Stoked we have Flacco.
                    Depending on how Flacco plays and Lock picks up everything we have a 1to 3 year window before we have to put Lock out there.
                    sigpic

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                      Traveling Mod
                      • Mar 2010

That's a scalding hot take. But I have to disagree with most of it. I would also questions who cares about the players abilities deep on the depth chart? Players 54-90 will be cut on Aug 31st. Whether they can do your basics or not they will be unemployed. And the good news is that players 54-90 on every roster will be cut, so if you feel like some other team's 56th player does something better than your 52nd player, you can release them and sign the other player.

Depth is the most overblown thing in the preseason. People get all upset because the third string is getting hammered by someone else's third string. But most of those players will be out of the league, and you're never going to have mass substitutions like that. The depth that matters is whether your 5th corner can come in and play well with 3-4 starting DBs when called upon? Can your 6th o-lineman step in without a noticeable drop-off if one of your starters is injured? That's depth, not how an entire unit of guys who will be unemployed in 11 days perform together.
                      Have to spread it.
                      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• ozzies94ta
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2007

Good to see the Bill Vinovich curse continuing. Denver doesn't win when he refs their games.
                        I was curious how bad this "curse" was and did some detective work

I used this link https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/VinoBi0r.htm

TEAM WIN LOSSES TIES
                        49ers 5 6
                        bears 3 8
                        bengals 6 10
                        bills 2 8
                        broncos 3 8
                        browns 2 11
                        buccaneers 8 5
                        cardinals 4 7
                        chargers 11 6
                        chiefs 11 5
                        colts 7 7
                        cowboys 10 7
                        dolphins 3 8
                        eagles 8 8
                        falcons 12 6
                        giants 7 3
                        jaguars 2 8
                        jets 4 7
                        lions 7 4
                        packers 8 7 1
                        panthers 7 7
                        patriots 9 4
                        raiders 11 4
                        rams 5 12
                        ravens 3 6
                        redskins 5 10
                        saints 10 7
                        seahawks 11 6
                        steelers 11 3
                        texans 9 10
                        titans 7 5
                        vikings 5 5 1

This doesn't take in to account Home/Away or how bad a team is *past Browns teams* and his first three years were as a side-judge before he was a referee
                        Sept. 10, 2006, Den@StL 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, [email protected]. 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, Den@Stl 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2015

Your totally right.

I guess I just view developing a young talent, who could and would be thrown into the fire immediately as being coddled, and I don’t view it as a bad thing.

Coddled - meaning to treat in an overprotective way.

What I think the time sitting will help:
                          - Lock can truly understand our offense
                          - he can watch Flacco and the rest of the starters learn what works and doesn’t and he won’t pay the price
                          - the coaches will be able to see what plays best fit Locks abilities
                          - he can build chemistry and gain the teams respect over a season

This is a new offense for everyone on this team why throw a young QB in there and make him learn with everyone else. Stoked we have Flacco.
                          Depending on how Flacco plays and Lock picks up everything we have a 1to 3 year window before we have to put Lock out there.
                          We’ve observed how quickly Lock is learning the offense by improving every week since the Hall of Fame game. Imagine not applying what he learned in live game action - that’s where you apply the learning. Now think about where he would be with playing every snap. Flacco will be the starter but we know it only takes one play to end his season. Lock doesn’t need to be coddled due to the adversity he’s faced. In fact, the throw he made after the injury said a lot about his leadership.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                            Banned User
                            • Dec 2015

Great perspective!

Now, go get on a plane to Denver to coach Special Teams. Need a bit of help there!

Comment

• 58Miller
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jul 2013

We’ve observed how quickly Lock is learning the offense by improving every week since the Hall of Fame game. Imagine not applying what he learned in live game action - that’s where you apply the learning. Now think about where he would be with playing every snap. Flacco will be the starter but we know it only takes one play to end his season. Lock doesn’t need to be coddled due to the adversity he’s faced. In fact, the throw he made after the injury said a lot about his leadership.
                              I didn’t say that’s why i wanted him coddled, i want him to be our QB of the future and this offense will go through a learning process under a first year OC. Let all that play out and then let Lock play.
                              sigpic

Comment

• fraguela09
                                Byner of Buckner?
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post

During the common draft era (back to 1960s).... 71 QBs selected in top 10 picks.... 69 of them started at least 1 game their rookie year. Only Carson Palmer and Kelly Stoufer didn’t start a single game their rookie years.

Palmer won Heisman and should’ve started... but we are talking about the Bengals. Stouffer refused to sign with St Louis.

The myth of the red shirt year not applicable to lottery QBs.

So, like Rodgers, Brees and Russell.... better to be drafted outside lottery, with lower expectations?

If Drew Lock is selected with the 10th pick (instead of top of second round).... does this stunt his development?

Comment

Working...
                                X