Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Drew Lock needs at least a year, doesnít look comfortable. You see a glimpse here or there of what he could be but the college offenses donít do these kids any favors.
    Taking snaps under center, and reading defenses should be his main goals, not winning the #1 or #2 job.
    It's so strange to me that people keep saying this. With their time with/against 1st team last night, Lock looked no less "ready" than Flacco. I think Lock could start week one and grow into his own by week 8. When you see Flacco missing wide open recievers on a consistent basis, it is hard to pull the whole "Lock needs to learn to read a defense". He is arguably better than Flacco at that already. What he does need to work on is staying calm, stepping up into pressure, and keeping his feet under him. But really, he has less to work on than people think and the things he does have to work on will only truly improve with actual game reps.

As it stands now, we likely win 6 or 7 games with Flacco. With Lock we could win as few as 4 or, if he continues to develop, as many as 10. Flacco and Lock are not as far apart as some want to think, and Lock is not some child that needs to be coddled into the 3rd QB spot. That's just crazy.
    Last edited by Papa-pwn; 08-20-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    No, it wasnít border line. Bolles was beat badly. He hooked his arm around the defender up high and spun him around. Flacco would have been hit hard without Bolles holding.

Bad technique and penalties persist with Bolles. He is not entitled to the starting role and changes can be made if he cannot consistently play better. The guy going up against Bolles was not Chubb.

Nobody was talking about all those players you brought up - just Bolles.
    Didnít say it was good technique but Iíve seen that not called many times.
    Like Mark Schelereth says an o linemen can win 49 out 50 plays against a d lineman, and that one play they lose turns the d lineman into a hero and the olinemen as the worst player.
    Heís the teams starter, at probably the toughest position on the line. And if a player gets beat, Iíd rather they hold than get my qb hit, causing a turnover and/or injury.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 08-20-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    It's so strange to me that people keep saying this. With their time with/against 1st team last night, Lock looked no less "ready" than Flacco. I think Lock could start week one and grow into his own by week 8. When you see Flacco missing wide open recievers on a consistent basis, it is hard to pull the whole "Lock needs to learn to read a defense". He is arguably better than Flacco at that already. What he does need to work on is staying calm, stepping up into pressure, and keeping his feet under him. But really, he has less to work on than people think and the things he does have to work on will only truly improve with actual game reps.

As it stands now, we likely win 6 or 7 games with Flacco. With Lock we could win as few as 4 or, if he continues to develop, as many as 10. Flacco and Lock are not as far apart as some want to think, and Lock is not some child that needs to be coddled into the 3rd QB spot. That's just crazy.
    Yes he does need to be coddled imo. David Carr is an example of a guy thrown in the fire. And you saying he can win 4 games is just another example why he should wait. Let him practice week to week, watch game film, see the speed of the NFL. It worked great with Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers. And like I said once were out of playoff contention, get him some playing time. Their is zero reason to rush right now, and Joe Flacco is respected by the players on this team Drew Lock has to earn their respect.

I only watched the 1st half due to prior commitments. However some quick observations:

Chubb was by far the best player on the field field from either team. He was fantastic.

1st team defense was very good, I do have some concerns with the run defense though.

Yiadom and Bausby were both impressive, especially as they are the 4th and 5th CBs.

Shelby Harris was good.

ILBs are concerning.

Offense was a mixed bag

Flacco will be the steady force we haven't had in a long time.

Risner may very well be our best OL. Which is a bit sad, but Risner will be a very good player for us for a long time.

Run blocking has been abysmal for multiple weeks.

The screen game has been less than effective.

Sutton will not be a WR #1 this year, and I could see Tim Patrick jumping him in pecking order.

STs were bad last year, and somehow have gotten worse. I get why we kept McMahon, but man that unit has not been good, and it is hurting the team in a bad way

WR depth is horrendous. Who's going to step up and catch a ball?

Didnít say it was good technique but Iíve seen that not called many times.
    Like Mark Schelereth says an o linemen can win 49 out 50 plays against a d lineman, and that one play they lose turns the d lineman into a hero and the olinemen as the worst player.
    Heís the teams starter, at probably the toughest position on the line. And if a player gets beat, Iíd rather they hold than get my qb hit, causing a turnover and/or injury.
    Bolles racked up 22 penalties in two seasons. He ranks at the top of the league in penalties. If he had a penalty every 4-5 games we wouldnít be discussing him. He was the 20th pick. I understand wanting to defend players however, youíre not being objective. Being the starter shouldnít guarantee anything. If he continues struggling then itís time to change. Hopefully heíll get it together quickly. Arguing on the margin about one call doesnít change the fact that heís been a liability, even if the official didnít make the call.

The Broncos drafted Garrett Bolles, he is the teams starting LT, the sooner a Bronco fan accepts it the better. Looking in the rear view mirror is fine but eventually you gotta look forward.
    agreed. looking forward to drafting better OT on both sides........

This was the first time Iíve gotten to see our team play this year. I wasnít able to watch the entire game but I have been very excited for our season to start. Iíve been excited with our new coaches and was excited to see our new QB.

But while I understand it was just a preseason game, I quickly became less and less enthusiastic. I was hoping to see more from the Oline because of Munchack. Same old Bolles. Very discouraging. Same old red zone problems.

Our STs are once again not special.

The run game was stagnant and the run defense was sad. Our WR depth is scary missing.

Iím sorry, but from little I saw of Lock, I wasnít impressed. He was inaccurate and looked sheepish when I saw him. I do acknowledge I didnít get to see his entire game though.

The only thing I got excited about was our first team defense.

Sorry to be so negative but I walked away feeling incredibly disappointed seeing them for the first time last night. What a bummer. I know I shouldnít put too much on a preseason game but this is their third game and our team looks pretty much like it has been.

Oh well, hopefully next week is the dress rehearsal and that should tell us more.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-20-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Bolles racked up 22 penalties in two seasons. He ranks at the top of the league in penalties. If he had a penalty every 4-5 games we wouldnít be discussing him. He was the 20th pick. I understand wanting to defend players however, youíre not being objective. Being the starter shouldnít guarantee anything. If he continues struggling then itís time to change. Hopefully heíll get it together quickly. Arguing on the margin about one call doesnít change the fact that heís been a liability, even if the official didnít make the call.
    Iím just being realistic, the guy is our LT. Going on and on about how we shoulda drafted a different guy doesnít change that. Iím not as worried about him as i am with our oline depth and ilb positions right now.

Our team is looking a bit top heavy....not much depth developed as of yet but hopefully it just takes some time. Hamilton and Flacco looked together like they know what the other is/will be doing so I thought that was a great sign.

Outside of a few plays it was overall a pretty ugly performance. Though I doubt 49er fans feel much better about their teams performance right now. Definitely felt like it was 2 bad teams playing each other.

Quote Originally Posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Our team is looking a bit top heavy....not much depth developed as of yet but hopefully it just takes some time. Hamilton and Flacco looked together like they know what the other is/will be doing so I thought that was a great sign.
    Sutton-Hamilton-Fant have done little to help the offense through 3 pre-season games. Without dynamic plays from those 3, this offense will grind to a halt and be what itís been for 5 years now.

Defenses only need to focus on containing Sanders and stopping the run. 7-8 in the box. Those 3 kids arenít getting open. They are being blanketed. To me, their play has been the most disappointing....

Devin Bush looked awesome for PiT (and probably wouldíve been the missing piece to make our defense truly elite). Fant hasnít looked like a chain-mover or RZ behemoth...

Sutton and Hamilton are just bodies.... doing nothing to impact games. Patrick appears to be our second best WR.

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Sutton-Hamilton-Fant have done little to help the offense through 3 pre-season games. Without dynamic plays from those 3, this offense will grind to a halt and be what itís been for 5 years now.

Defenses only need to focus on containing Sanders and stopping the run. 7-8 in the box. Those 3 kids arenít getting open. They are being blanketed. To me, their play has been the most disappointing....

Devin Bush looked awesome for PiT (and probably wouldíve been the missing piece to make our defense truly elite). Fant hasnít looked like a chain-mover or RZ behemoth...

Sutton and Hamilton are just bodies.... doing nothing to impact games. Patrick appears to be our second best WR.
    These games aren't being called for impact plays. The sideline pass and snag by Hamilton was a thing of beauty though. If that were a regular season game that would have likely been challenged. There were a couple more nice throws that were to spots and I was surprised to see how well Sanders moved.

I would like to see more from Fant as well but this kid is young. His size and speed are there, I have faith he can learn how to get open. He suffered an ankle injury before we could see a whole lot, but even on that long 3rd down he made a nice catch, made that first LB miss.....exactly what we hope to get out of the position. It was nice to see that option on 3rd and long to be honest with you.

Winfree has been getting open, but heís been the victim of some poorly placed passes. Itíll be interesting to see how he does when the regular season rolls around and heís being mixed in with different WR groupings.

McKnight is trying to force a big play every return and is getting nowhere. Cracraft is too slow to get many yards. Nick Williams muffed a punt and isnít doing very much. Benson dropped a beautiful pass from Lock and has dropped quite a few passes but he is very fast, burned Dontae Johnson who was a 4.3 guy coming out. Dunbar canít catch/hold onto the ball. Brown is just another guy.

Our WR depth is really bad. Sutton has been inconsistent but the flashes are there. Hamilton shows good chemistry with flacco but doesnít appear to be a guy that can create big plays. Patrick looks like he could be a legit second option if given the chance. He has the speed and size to really threaten defenses.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 08-20-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Broncos and Niners practiced against each other a couple of days and then played a scrimmage/game against each other in which the calls were grab bag from a vanilla playbook. This Saturday's game should be more indicative depending on how many projected starters are held out.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus