Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red Zone Offense

So last week Denver 2 times got inside the Red Zone only to be held to Field Goals. I seem to think that this has been a systematic problem for a few years any insight into this problem and any suggestions how to fix it?

Score touchdowns?

http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Give it time. Its still preseason where everyone is learning a new offense with new coaches and players and the coaching is vanilla while it is all about evaluations of personnel. It may very well get much better as the season goes on and the coaches and team gel together. The way the D looks, If we can not make mistakes on O, control the ball and clock a bit better, I think we will be find and hopefully the TDs will come.
    ďNever argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.Ē

― Mark Twain

Tough to say it's a problem at this point because teams are just calling plays right now. The offense is just calling a play to see how it looks in that situation, while the defense is just calling a defense. In practice the Broncos have had more success in the red zone, and that's calling a true RZ offense v true RZ defense.

So I'm not worried at this point. With the Rams game being the one they should game plan for I hope to see more success in the RZ.

A lot of red zone success comes down to chemistry and line play. The line has to create some running lanes or give a QB time to find a window. QB has to know his targets very well due to limited space and limited time to throw.

Sutton and Fant will be jump ball threats but Sanders from the slot and possibly the backfield may be our best option.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    A lot of red zone success comes down to chemistry and line play. The line has to create some running lanes or give a QB time to find a window. QB has to know his targets very well due to limited space and limited time to throw.

Sutton and Fant will be jump ball threats but Sanders from the slot and possibly the backfield may be our best option.
    Agree. Would add timing as part of chemistry. On 2nd down Flaccoís pass to Fant wasnít bad but just a bit inside vs leading him. Just a tweak on that pass and itís 3rd and 1-2 yards. On the next play to the corner of the end zone, Booker was out in the flat and I think he makes a TD with blockers in front - they should see that in film and Flacco might look to that side next time they run that play. Going back to the pass to Fant, if you make that thereís a good chance to pickup a 1st down.

I do think it will be important to punch one in next Saturday to build confidence.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-19-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Thank You 2 all who has provided a bit of light on this Subject.

While not one to panic, I just hope we are trying to surprise some teams in the season with our offense. So far & I've been to camp, our TE & recievers have been underwhelming ( except Sanders as usual) along with our O Line.
    Bronco Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Agree. Would add timing as part of chemistry. On 2nd down Flaccoís pass to Fant wasnít bad but just a bit inside vs leading him. Just a tweak on that pass and itís 3rd and 1-2 yards. On the next play to the corner of the end zone, Booker was out in the flat and I think he makes a TD with blockers in front - they should see that in film and Flacco might look to that side next time they run that play. Going back to the pass to Fant, if you make that thereís a good chance to pickup a 1st down.

I do think it will be important to punch one in next Saturday to build confidence.
    Yeah that pass to Fant was bad IMO. If thatís out in front of him itís likely a 3rd and manageable situation if not a TD, if Fant didnít stop that lands right in the defenders chest. That being said Fant is playing slow right now. His routes arenít very crisp and thereís very little nuance to how heís running them. TEs usually take a bit of time to develop due to how much theyíre asked to do but he should reach out to Shannon Sharpe for some pointers on route running. In the meantime weíre going to have let him run a lot of crossers, drags, and streaks just so he doesnít have to cut and it can be a straight up foot race with the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    So what I get out of that article is....Chubb is going to be in the running for Defensive Player of the year......and Bolles will be..... well, Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    So what I get out of that article is....Chubb is going to be in the running for Defensive Player of the year......and Bolles will be..... well, Bolles
    Chubb looked dominate last night, so even if he isn't DPOY QBs and OCs will have to know where he is whenever he's on the field.

Bolles... sigh... he's only been in Scangarello's offense and coached by Munchak for a short time. I don't expect a lot from him anymore but hope he might become more disciplined. He hasn't looked good or like he's improved so it could be a long season. Unfortunately the depth behind him looks worse

Our red zone offense looks "offensive" right now, and not in a good way. Our run blocking inside the 20 yd line awful, which makes us very predictable. As for Bolles, his reputation precedes him. That holding penalty was kind of holding but I have seen way, way worse from him.

Itís still early and all, but itís hard not to notice how much the offense still looks like the last couple years.

Itís not going to matter how good the defense is if the offense canít score points.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Our red zone offense looks "offensive" right now, and not in a good way. Our run blocking inside the 20 yd line awful, which makes us very predictable. As for Bolles, his reputation precedes him. That holding penalty was kind of holding but I have seen way, way worse from him.
    How many 3 TE sets have we seen in the preseason? How many times have we seen an extra lineman come in? How many times have we seen a true short yardage look?

They're not running their Red Zone or short yardage offense yet. Teams save that for the regular season. So I really wouldn't worry about being predictable or not being able to block well enough in those situations yet. Denver hasn't sold out to get something. When they do the defense has to counter and that opens up other things. Right now it's regular O v regular D.