• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ManhattanBronco
    Special Teams
    • Jan 2012

Report: Lock Could open season on IR

ESPN just reported this... Clearly not good for his development

Broncos coach Vic Fangio said it's possible that rookie quarterback Drew Lock could open the season on injured reserve after suffering a sprained thumb on his throwing hand in Monday's preseason game.
    sigpic
    ******** Adopt a Bronco 2019 | #70 Ja'wuan James :thumb: ********
    ***** Adopt a Bronco 2017-18 | #72 Garett Bolles *****
  • EddieMac
    Canuck Mod, eh!
    • Feb 2004

If you having nothing nice to say Manhattan,,,,...

Well this isn’t cool at all..
    sigpic

Comment

• FL BRONCO
      Traveling Mod
      • Mar 2010

Well I hope he won't. I think we had better see what Rypien can do, we might now want to release him given the situation and he needs some reps.
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• rst08tierney
        VISIONS OF CONFETTI
        • Nov 2006

Return to OZ part 3?

Comment

• orange crush75
          Captain
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
          Return to OZ part 3?
          Hope not......

Comment

• Rich_C
            Captain
            • Aug 2012

I don't know why so many are so shocked by this. Unless Lock can be back in 1-3 weeks then he SHOULD be on IR. What the bigger story here should be is do we cut both Brett AND Hogan and bring in someone else OR do we keep Brett and hope Flacco can make it at minimum to week 8.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
              team preacher
              • Mar 2008

This could be a blessing in disguise. It will prevent them from rushing him to the field if we start to tank. He can work on his footwork
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• Hadez
                Football Immortal
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                This could be a blessing in disguise. It will prevent them from rushing him to the field if we start to tank. He can work on his footwork
                I like how Fangio is including Lock....and other players...in as much as the team can.

To paraphrase Vic..It is a crumb here and crumb there but it adds up to a whole loaf over time.
                What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                effort x talent = skill
                effort x skill = achievement
                How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• orange crush75
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2006

Does anyone know when they can bring Lock off the IR?

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                    Super Moderator
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                    Does anyone know when they can bring Lock off the IR?
                    He has to miss 8 games before being activated. So he will be eligible to return (assuming the Broncos decide to designate him to return) any time after the Colts game.

He can't practice with the team until he's removed from the IR list. So hypothetically if the Broncos were looking to put him in as the starting QB, the game that would make sense would be their 10th game on November 17th in Minnesota. Because that would give him 3 weeks worth of practices (all of the practices leading up to the Browns game...probably as the scout team QB. The couple of practices in the bye week before the players get their time off, and the full week leading up to Minnesota) to get ready to go.

I'm not saying whether they should or will make any change at QB, I'm just saying that barring injury, the time that makes the most sense would be November 17th.

Comment

• orange crush75
                      Captain
                      • Feb 2006

Ahh dang , I was thinking he could practice now . Oh well , thank for the info.

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                        Football Immortal
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                        Ahh dang , I was thinking he could practice now . Oh well , thank for the info.
                        He IS eligible to start practicing this week. He can practice after 6 weeks on IR. What I am not sure of is; does he have to be added to the 53 man roster in order to practice? I don't think so but they may have to consider him joined to the team but I think he is still exempt for 2 weeks of practice? Not sure.
                        He could be eligible to play against the Browns but as Butler stated that is probably not practical, Min makes more sense especially since that is after the bye ... imo, he won't start for the team then either, I think they stick with Flacco until at least week 12, or longer if we are still in the playoff hunt.
                        Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 10-15-2019, 03:32 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• #87Birdman
                          The MOD Who Laughs
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                          He IS eligible to start practicing this week. He can practice after 6 weeks on IR. What I am not sure of is; does he have to be added to the 53 man roster in order to practice? I don't think so but they may have to consider him joined to the team but I think he is still exempt for 2 weeks of practice? Not sure.
                          He could be eligible to play against the Browns but as Butler stated that is probably not practical, Min makes more sense especially since that is after the bye ... imo, he won't start for the team then either, I think they stick with Flacco until at least week 12, or longer if we are still in the playoff hunt.
                          Sounds like the ir members are eligible to practice but due to the short week it is more likely they will start next week. I almost positive they don't get added to the 53 until they are good to go. I think it is to see if they are healthy enough to go before making the decision.

Adopted Broncos:
                          (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                          (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                          (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                          Adopted posters:
                          Everyone

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                            Super Moderator
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                            Did they change that this year? Cause previously IR players couldn't practice until being removed from IR. PUP list players however could start practicing after 6 weeks. If it's a change they made than it's a good one by the NFL. Now they just need to change the archaic IR rules and create different levels of IR (3,6,8 etc.) lists that you could put players on. And eliminate the stupid IR means you're done for the season, except for up to 2 players per team garbage.

And as to the argument against changing IR ("Teams would cheat the system") just make it so the first penalty for trying to stash players using IR would be loss of a 1st round pick, and getting heavier after that, and teams won't do it.

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                              Football Immortal
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              Did they change that this year? Cause previously IR players couldn't practice until being removed from IR. PUP list players however could start practicing after 6 weeks. If it's a change they made than it's a good one by the NFL. Now they just need to change the archaic IR rules and create different levels of IR (3,6,8 etc.) lists that you could put players on. And eliminate the stupid IR means you're done for the season, except for up to 2 players per team garbage.

And as to the argument against changing IR ("Teams would cheat the system") just make it so the first penalty for trying to stash players using IR would be loss of a 1st round pick, and getting heavier after that, and teams won't do it.
                              I did see this from Mike Klis ...

"IR players on hold?

Three Broncos players on injured reserve – quarterback Drew Lock, tight end Jake Butt and running back Theo Riddick – were eligible to start practicing Monday. However, because the Broncos aren’t really practicing this week – they have meetings and walkthrough type workouts scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, those three players may be held back until next week to start practicing.

If they don’t start practicing until next week as expected, those players wouldn’t be activated on the 53-man roster until the Minnesota game in week 11.

Riddick may be held back a little longer as he continues to heal from his broken shoulder. The Broncos can only activate two players from IR. Those two players figure to come from Lock, Butt, Riddick and receiver Tim Patrick, who is also eligible to start practicing next week."

I predict they will activate Lock for week 11. IMO, it makes sense to also activate Patrick, although it would be nice to have a healthy Jake Butt ... who gets cut though?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X