Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Yeesh. This offense should be getting extra field time, not less.
    With Lock injured the Broncos can’t afford to put Flacco at risk, as well as other starters. I agree though, it would have helped to get more reps in live action for the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    With Lock injured the Broncos can’t afford to put Flacco at risk, as well as other starters. I agree though, it would have helped to get more reps in live action for the offense.
    I guess. I'm not particularly high on Flacco though. He doesn't really add many wins vs what we would have with Lock or Osweiler or some other journeyman off the streets. We win maybe 7 games with Flacco and maybe 5 or 6 with someone like Osweiler.

The rest of the offense, for the most part, is young and lacking experience in a west coast offense. The whole point behind the 2019 season should be to gain experience for those young players in an effort to win in 2020. The minute we moved from Keenum to Flacco, we knew we weren't likely to be a playoff team. They are the same level of QB, and that level of QB holds teams back more often than not.

It's not like Flacco will play the whole year. His role as a bridge will be to keep the seat warm for Lock until circumstance switches their places. He will be injured or benched and the Lock trial period will begin. Hopefully Lock learns as quick as I think he will. That way we are a young, playoff bound team on the rise in 2020, and Joe will be somewhere like Tampa, again playing the bridge QB role in front of someone like Fromm.

I guess. I'm not particularly high on Flacco though. He doesn't really add many wins vs what we would have with Lock or Osweiler or some other journeyman off the streets. We win maybe 7 games with Flacco and maybe 5 or 6 with someone like Osweiler.

The rest of the offense, for the most part, is young and lacking experience in a west coast offense. The whole point behind the 2019 season should be to gain experience for those young players in an effort to win in 2020. The minute we moved from Keenum to Flacco, we knew we weren't likely to be a playoff team. They are the same level of QB, and that level of QB holds teams back more often than not.

It's not like Flacco will play the whole year. His role as a bridge will be to keep the seat warm for Lock until circumstance switches their places. He will be injured or benched and the Lock trial period will begin. Hopefully Lock learns as quick as I think he will. That way we are a young, playoff bound team on the rise in 2020, and Joe will be somewhere like Tampa, again playing the bridge QB role in front of someone like Fromm.
    Flacco has already shown this preseason that he's a competent QB, which is a step up from what we had in Keenum, and is exactly what the team needs right now. He's a solid piece that the team can be built around. And that's going to benefit all of the young guys, to have that competence and stability while they learn their craft. It also benefits Lock. He has been given three hoops to jump through and he has checked two of them off by playing better than a raw rookie (Rypien) and a mediocre journeyman (Hogan). Now he has to play better than a competent starter (Flacco) to take the job. I think that hoop is a lot higher than you realize. I think Lock can do it, but I think that hoop is a lot higher than you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The Rams have said they won't play starters in the preseason. So if they're not treating it like a typical 3rd game, no reason for Denver too either. Let the starting 22 start to focus on Oakland, the people battling for spots can focus on trying to earn them. Seems like a win-win.
    I could not agree more. I also think that this is the time for someone to step up and show they earn the return role. This is also the time where when you start to see the players who are playing with the 3s and 4s who look out of place (ie way better or way worse) who are guaranteed NOT to make a roster or who really are making their case to be included on the final 53.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Flacco has already shown this preseason that he's a competent QB, which is a step up from what we had in Keenum, and is exactly what the team needs right now. He's a solid piece that the team can be built around. And that's going to benefit all of the young guys, to have that competence and stability while they learn their craft. It also benefits Lock. He has been given three hoops to jump through and he has checked two of them off by playing better than a raw rookie (Rypien) and a mediocre journeyman (Hogan). Now he has to play better than a competent starter (Flacco) to take the job. I think that hoop is a lot higher than you realize. I think Lock can do it, but I think that hoop is a lot higher than you realize.
    I think in some respects you are correct. Although I believe in others you are wrong. Due to Joe's age and experience in the league some things will simply just come naturally to him. For Lock though they will need to be developed. Unless Joe has a second coming on our team (I cannot rule that out) then we pretty much know what he will be. An Average to above average QB who plays well enough to NOT lose. A QB like that will not win in the NFL in the play-offs unless your defense is so DAMN good that they win the game for you. When the Raven's won the SB Joe elevated his play and became not even above average but elite. That is what it took for the Ravens to win that year. Lock has already shown that he can learn and do so VERY quickly. Another think I am a fan of is that even though he has clearly made mistakes he can move past them quickly and correct those mistakes. At some point this season unless Joe becomes better than an average Joe it will behoove us to start Lock (so long as he is healthy).

This should be reversed. Rypien should get a chance with the 2s. We already know what we have in Hogan.

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Quote Originally Posted by RealBronco View Post
    This should be reversed. Rypien should get a chance with the 2s. We already know what we have in Hogan.
    If Lock wasn't hurt, Rypien probably wouldn't play. The coaching staff probably has a good idea of what they have in Rypien.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    If Lock wasn't hurt, Rypien probably wouldn't play. The coaching staff probably has a good idea of what they have in Rypien.
    it's looking to me like they want to stash Rypien on the PS so won't play him unless they have to.

That's what I keep hearing, but it'd be nice to see him go with the 1s or 2s against another team that isn't his own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    it's looking to me like they want to stash Rypien on the PS so won't play him unless they have to.
    I hope this is the case. I just can't see him being worse than Hogan.

I love how you can see into the future. Glad you have it already figured out it for us. I guess we really don’t even need to watch. Silly us.

lol
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.

That's what I keep hearing, but it'd be nice to see him go with the 1s or 2s against another team that isn't his own.
    Sounds like first team won't be seen before 9 September. He could play with second team.

Sounds like first team won't be seen before 9 September. He could play with second team.
    Better than 3rd or 4th team. haha

I don't see the point even having Hogan on the roster. I can't see what value he is meant to add to the group. I would start Rypien in the hope that he will be our QB3

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    I don't see the point even having Hogan on the roster. I can't see what value he is meant to add to the group. I would start Rypien in the hope that he will be our QB3
    I'm right there with you. They already know what they have in Hogan. Even if they "know" what they have in Rypien in practice, they still need to know how he does in-game. A lot of players deal with practice and game situations differently.