Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I only watched a few plays of the Steelers/Titans game, and that was mostly by the Steelers offense for Fantasy Recon purposes. What I did watch of the Steelers defense didn't look bad where Bush is concerned. On TEN's first run, they couldn't get to him in time on a stretch play, and he took Lewis down in the backfield. The other play I watched, Lewan just said screw it and ran straight to Bush so the RB could get the edge. I wouldn't call that bad, because it took an All Pro going out of his way to block him.

I didn't watch the whole game, so maybe he did struggle most of the time. Just reporting on what I did see. What I have seen of Bush so far has impressed me.

PIT's, or I guess you could call it LeBeau's scheme (I'm sure Sam will come along to elaborate), is very ILB dependent. They have to be able to do everything, and that's probably why they had a higher value on him than most teams would. I also get the idea of getting the most valuable weapon for our new OC, while also acquiring another pick. The one that I don't get is if Mack Wilson was never on our radar, and we wouldn't have taken him if Cleveland didn't. That's all speculation though. You have to think JE consulted Fangio about ILB this offseason, and that's why we didn't address it. We'll see how it goes.

We have to be patient with Fant though. Tight ends taken in the first round, especially after the top 15 rarely blow up until after a year or two.
    Lebeau isn't with Pittsburgh anymore he did go to the Titans in 2015 but looks like he retired in 2017 ... he is 81 now. Because of Ryan Shazier being injured I think they felt they had a need there more than the Broncos. They seem to still value LBs in their scheme but no longer with Lebeau.
    TEs do seem to take 1-2 years to really come on at the NFL level, you're right we might need to be patient with Fant. I would've liked it if they drafted Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    The question will be do we want him playing? I mean so much of those comments are predicated on the fact that WHEN he returns he will be at top notch and in peak form. Given how long this has taken him and that he is ALWAYS hurt now it seems is it even worth it? Will he be better than Wilk? - my opinion is likely not. When you're coming back form being hurt THAT much and for THAT long there are usually issues. There will likely also be a decline in play. At this point we already know where Ron will be at. So is a 60% Ron better than a 100% Wilk? - Again I say no.
    Sure. IMO if Leary is healthy, he starts. What to do with him if he's not will be up to Elway, Fangio et al. I'm guessing the coaching staff wants Leary in the five at RG, Wilkinson as Swing Tackle and probably Schlottmann as inside backup. Denver may pick up another O-Lineman, if they can find one they think is better.

Leary's health is a bit of a mystery. He has practiced some, but hasn't played in preseason. He probably doesn't need much practice to be ready for the season opener. It seems the approach of the coaching and training staffs has been not to do anything in TC/Preseason to hinder his ability to start the season. When Denver opens at Oakland, it will have been almost eight weeks since TC began.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Lebeau isn't with Pittsburgh anymore he did go to the Titans in 2015 but looks like he retired in 2017 ... he is 81 now. Because of Ryan Shazier being injured I think they felt they had a need there more than the Broncos. They seem to still value LBs in their scheme but no longer with Lebeau.
    TEs do seem to take 1-2 years to really come on at the NFL level, you're right we might need to be patient with Fant. I would've liked it if they drafted Bush.
    Butler uses the same principles as LeBeau. He coached under him for 12 years.

Main difference is 2 gap 3-4 to 1 gap. Butler may value fast linebackers more than even Lebeau did because of that.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 08-27-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Butler uses the same principles as LeBeau. He coached under him for 12 years.
    Does Butler use as much Zone Blitz as LeBeau did?

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I researched it last year when we were struggling defensively, because I wanted to see how they do it, and was blown away by how differently the inside linebackers were used in that scheme than in ours. I can't speak for zone blitzes in general, but the inside linebackers are very aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I'm not sure if any one does/did

FWIW, it sounds like the Dolphins are ready to move on from Kiko Alonso, maybe they just outright cut him