What is your standard for the HOF ?

This came up during last nights game, about whether Eli should be in the HOF. Both commentators said he should be (although commentators generally go ultra positive on players so I take this with a pinch of salt) because of the 2 SB's, even though his career record is .500 or just below now.

I understand he won 2 SB's and had 2 good playoff runs, he was decent in the first SB and put up 17 points (although that game was won by the Giants DL) but IMO he really shouldn't be in the HOF.

I look at guys like Marino, Montana, Elway, PM, Brady, etc...... as top level HOF players.

QB's like Eli and Rivers are at least a level or 2 below these and thus should not be in.

I guess it depends on your standards to get in the hall, or change the name to 'Hall of good players'

Eli should not be in the Hall of Fame.

From a pure fairness standpoint, if Jim Plunkett canít get in, Eli shouldnít get in(Iím not advocating for a Raider to get into the HOF).

Heís only going to get in because his name is Manning.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Depends on who electors are discussing. Once Peter King said that to be a HOF player he believed a player needed to be amongst the very best players at their position (top 2 to 3) for several years of their career. But then he goes and puts someone like Jerome Bettis into the HOF.

Eli probably gets in because of his family and the media wanting to be close to them. But he was never amongst the best at his position for any length of his career. He's the QB version of Jerome Bettis.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Depends on who electors are discussing. Once Peter King said that to be a HOF player he believed a player needed to be amongst the very best players at their position (top 2 to 3) for several years of their career. But then he goes and puts someone like Jerome Bettis into the HOF.

Eli probably gets in because of his family and the media wanting to be close to them. But he was never amongst the best at his position for any length of his career. He's the QB version of Jerome Bettis.
    He isnít even that. Iíd say heís more like Jarius Wright whom I have no idea how heís managed to stay in the NFL 8 seasons despite never topped 600 yards, 43 receptions, or 3 TDs and he doesnít even play special teams. If Eli wasnít a Manning heíd have been out of the NFL a long time ago.

Maybe an exaggeration but Eli has not been good. He turns the ball over at an absurd rate for someone whoís never really been questioned as a starter until recently. Heís never completed a high percentage of passes. Heís Jay Cutler with a 15 year career and 2 teams that were good enough to drag him to a super bowl win. He was never even the best QB in his division, does Tony Romo belong in the HoF?

Iím rambling but I do think a player should show that they are an elite player over a course of time. How long will depend on the person because guys like Terrell Davis kind of fly in the face of that. I donít think anyone was as good as him preinjury and had he not been hurt I do think he goes over 2k at least once more. People will say that it was the scheme and the players around him but if thatís the case put an asterisk by Emmitt Smith because he wasnít the best RB when he played at any point IMO.

Were they dominant and how long were they dominant? Did they fall off a cliff for no real reason or was there an injury in the event of a shorter career. These are the questions I would ask. The only time Iíd consider the scheme is if I think it limited them but they still performed at a high level, such as Rod Smith. No doubt in my mind that if he traded places with Marvin Harrison or Isaac Bruce, he has their numbers instead of Michael Irvinís.