Page 90 of 110 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1636
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Wow the Giants released Janoris Jenkins because he called a fan a 'retard' This generation is so ...........'slow'

I hate how PC culture has gotten. I hope it's a pendulum swing. It's just a word. It doesn't change if someone is or not whatever a word claims
    I hate it too but its the world we live in now, unfortunately the loud minority of people are so thin-skinned they get offended at pretty much anything and cry about it on social media. I think these people are babies personally.

I must say though that in this situation a professional athlete cannot be stupid enough to name call on social media, he must of known that it will only lead to trouble. If Jenkins was having a good season and the Giants were playoff bound this would of been swept under the carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I hate it too but its the world we live in now, unfortunately the loud minority of people are so thin-skinned they get offended at pretty much anything and cry about it on social media. I think these people are babies personally.

I must say though that in this situation a professional athlete cannot be stupid enough to name call on social media, he must of known that it will only lead to trouble. If Jenkins was having a good season and the Giants were playoff bound this would of been swept under the carpet.
    Bronx....but thin skinned or not, some words are offensive to folks. And who am I or you or anyone to determine what is truly offensive, unless we have experienced the depth of its meaning? That is one word folks should not use, as it was used.

Sometimes we offend without intent, but clearly this was not the case.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-13-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Bronx....but thin skinned or not, some words are offensive to folks. And who am I or you or anyone to determine what is truly offensive, unless we have experienced the depth of its meaning? That is one word folks should not use, as it was used.

Sometimes we offend without intent, but clearly this was not the case.
    Its not a word I would use or should be used, so in this instance I don't mind seeing him punished because he shouldn't of done it.

I just think in general theres too much crying that goes on in society, especially on social media, with some people who are determined to take offense at things so minor its laughable, but in defense to modern society I firmly believe its a minority of people who are this thin skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Its not a word I would use or should be used, so in this instance I don't mind seeing him punished because he shouldn't of done it.

I just think in general theres too much crying that goes on in society, especially on social media, with some people who are determined to take offense at things so minor its laughable, but in defense to modern society I firmly believe its a minority of people who are this thin skinned.
    I appreciate your view (first part)….and yes, I do agree that social media has created a place for whiny, grouchy folks to try their best to make this world a less positive place.

It wasnít that he said it, it was his response when asked about it after. I donít think he shouldíve been released for it, but heís a good CB thatís probably about to go to a better team now because of it.

Not trying to take the conversation down there but had he said the n word instead I doubt this situation would have got to this point.

Iím okay with Jenkins losing his job even if it was just for that word.

He represented a high profile organization and was one of its higher profile players.

Heís supposed to know better.

It doesnít matter if you agree with the PC crowd or not, this is a time when such offenses lead to terminations.

He basically failed the stupid test the same way players fail the stupid test when they test positive for a substance of abuse. Itís an easy test to pass unless youíre just that stupid.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

People are looking for a reason to be offended these days... ya it was inappropriate..but lose a job inappropriate? No!

And his refusal to apologize? Oh well...

Allegedly Antonio Brown used racist words toward Mayock while he was (briefly) a Raider...there was no uproar... if we are going to be offended, be equally offended for offensive things..not selectively,, or it’s disingenuous
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I’m okay with Jenkins losing his job even if it was just for that word.

He represented a high profile organization and was one of its higher profile players.

He’s supposed to know better.

It doesn’t matter if you agree with the PC crowd or not, this is a time when such offenses lead to terminations.

He basically failed the stupid test the same way players fail the stupid test when they test positive for a substance of abuse. It’s an easy test to pass unless you’re just that stupid.
    We don't always agree, but I completely agree....his words and actions represent an organization, and that organization clearly has no room for that kind if foolishness. As mentioned, PC culture or not, if it is offensive, it is not warranted. Who's to judge what people should be ok with? I know how that word was used for many years, growing up. And if translated the same, nowadays...it is offensive to many, who do not deserve that label.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Iím okay with Jenkins losing his job even if it was just for that word.

Heís supposed to know better.

It doesnít matter if you agree with the PC crowd or not, this is a time when such offenses lead to terminations.

He basically failed the stupid test the same way players fail the stupid test when they test positive for a substance of abuse. Itís an easy test to pass unless youíre just that stupid.
    Bold: exactly, but it should not be so.

You say he failed the stupid test and you are correct, but a life altering, career changing event ought not to be for a crude remark like this. If be curious to know if they police the talk in the locker room or in the sidelines, or board room. Doubt it.

Getting fired ought be be a punishment for an egregious offense or a repeated behavior. The team could have handled this much better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Bold: exactly, but it should not be so.

You say he failed the stupid test and you are correct, but a life altering, career changing event ought not to be for a crude remark like this. If be curious to know if they police the talk in the locker room or in the sidelines, or board room. Doubt it.

Getting fired ought be be a punishment for an egregious offense or a repeated behavior. The team could have handled this much better in my opinion.
    But do we know if there is more to do with it than this one incident? Do we know if the team has had to deal with issues prior to? Maybe he is a repeated offender, of whatever rules they live by.

Regardless, I am glad that he was penalized for his offensive comment. Not sure I can equate the proper punishment, but like I say, there may be more than we know. And yes, I am glad that organizations take this stuff seriously.
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-13-2019 at 08:07 PM.

But do we know if there is more to do with it than this one incident? Do we know if the team has had to deal with issues prior to? Maybe he is a repeated offender, of whatever rules they live by.

Regardless, I am glad that he was penalized for his offensive comment. Not sure I can equate the proper punishment, but like I say, there may be more than we know. And yes, I am glad that organizations take this stuff seriously.
    I don't know but it seems like a leap to make presumptions.

And organization weakens itself over a word that has been only relatively recently deemed offensive...not said on the field. Not said in uniform, but via twitter while bantering with a troll..

Where do they draw the line ? If their starting rookie QB said it would he be gone? The owner? Head coach?

Na. This is weak sauce.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I don't know but it seems like a leap to make presumptions.
    You may be correct, but people in organizations build reputations, good or not so good. Maybe he has been one who has been a source of issues, and this was the tipping point. Regardless, it's up to them how to manage their staff. They know the consequences of their actions.

Here's one take. from The AP:

The New York Giants waived-injured cornerback Janoris Jenkins on Friday, days after he engaged in a Twitter conversation in which he used offensive language. Jenkins had said he injured his ankle in Monday night’s loss at Philadelphia that dropped the Giants to 2-11 with nine straight losses. But coach Pat Shurmur made it clear that Jenkins’ actions on social media played a major role in the decision to release him.

Jenkins defended his use of the word “retard” in an exchange with a fan, saying it was acceptable language where he grew up.

“This was an organizational decision,” Shurmur said. “From ownership to management to our football operations, we felt it was in the best interests of the franchise and the player. Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor.”

Moments after being released, Jenkins tweeted: “Best news ever.. Thank you.”

A former Pro Bowl cornerback, Jenkins signed a five-year, $62 million deal with New York in 2016. He never lived up to his previous performances while with the Rams, however. Recently, the eight-year veteran also has been highly critical of defensive co-ordinator James Bettcher and the team’s defensive schemes.

I bolded his comment....which is not acceptable. Just because it's ok where you grew up does not make it ok.

The second bolded point....it appears he could be a pain in the butt as well.

All in all, he has not been as productive, apparently has been critical of the team, and finally, he clearly does not appreciate the offensive nature of his words...nor would he apologize.

He wasn't really punished. He's a vested veteran, he will be paid the rest of his salary for the year no matter what. He's a decent veteran player on will now go on waivers, there's a decent chance that a team looking to get better for the playoffs may put in a claim for him. He didn't have any guaranteed money left on his contract, so now he will likely become a free agent and have the chance to sign a contract with guarantees for 2020 and possibly beyond.

So let's review how he was "punished": He still gets paid every dime on his contract for 2019. Instead of being with the Giants for 3 more weeks than his season being done, he will either be claimed by, or have the chance to sign with a playoff team, if he clears waivers. And he's likely to be a free agent for 2020 where he will get more guaranteed money.

If that's punishment I really wish someone would punish me...

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    He wasn't really punished. He's a vested veteran, he will be paid the rest of his salary for the year no matter what. He's a decent veteran player on will now go on waivers, there's a decent chance that a team looking to get better for the playoffs may put in a claim for him. He didn't have any guaranteed money left on his contract, so now he will likely become a free agent and have the chance to sign a contract with guarantees for 2020 and possibly beyond.

So let's review how he was "punished": He still gets paid every dime on his contract for 2019. Instead of being with the Giants for 3 more weeks than his season being done, he will either be claimed by, or have the chance to sign with a playoff team, if he clears waivers. And he's likely to be a free agent for 2020 where he will get more guaranteed money.

If that's punishment I really wish someone would punish me...
    Call me a name.... I’ll show you!