Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    So we took the on major positive of Flacco's contract and eliminated it. Sweet.

At first glance, I thought this was nothing but good: freeing up cap space for emergencies and a potential player extension. After sitting back and digging into it, I am a little worried.

The original contract spanned until 2021 previously and was voidable with no repercussions at any point. Flacco was due 18.5m, 20.25m, and 24.25m in base salaries the next 3 years. It was widely assumed that we would be cutting him sooner rather than later as those numbers exceed his individual performance.

Now we "added two voidable years" with the 17m signing bonus being converted and spread over 5 years.

The 17m bonus conversion means that a 17m, unavoidable cap hit is spread over 2019, 2020, 21, 22, and 23. Roughly 3.4m per year of extra cap hit.

So if we cut him after this season it is a ~14m dead hit and if we cut him after 2020 it's a 10m dead hit. If we cut him at age 36, after the 2021 year it is a 7m hit.

Yikes. He is still due base salaries of 20.25m and 24.25m the next two years, with prorated signing bonus hits of 3.6m now added to both years bringing his cap hits to....

23.6m in 2020 and 27.6m in 2021 with dead cap charges if we cut him exceeding 10m. So much for having a ton of cap space going forward? This will make it hard to retain guys like Harris Jr, Harris, Simmons, Sanders, ect..

There is a reason the Ravens wanted out of his contract, I dont know why we are making it harder in ourselves to get out of it and actually increasing his cap hit in all years except 2019.

2019 Flacco is already the highest paid individual year in team history, and for a player who really has not performed well in recent history, this is crazy.

What happens if he is again below average this year? We have a choice in the offseason of paying him 24m to stay or 14m to go, whereas prior we could have paid him 20m to stay or 0m to go. Yuck.

This move could really bite us. I'm sick of having QB dead money every year.
    Yes it was assumed all offseason that Flacco was a short term bridge. But I think the preseason showed the bridge is likely a lot longer than one year for Lock. He likely needs 2-3 years of grooming. Hence Flacco remains as the bridge whether the fans like it or not.

In that event you spread his cap to make it easier to pay the supporting cast and try to make this team competitive during the Flacco years.

I know it sucks but with Lock on IR for half his rookie season and seeing how raw he was I donít see how anyone can think Flacco isnít our 2020 starter pending injury.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Yes it was assumed all offseason that Flacco was a short term bridge. But I think the preseason showed the bridge is likely a lot longer than one year for Lock. He likely needs 2-3 years of grooming. Hence Flacco remains as the bridge whether the fans like it or not.

In that event you spread his cap to make it easier to pay the supporting cast and try to make this team competitive during the Flacco years.

I know it sucks but with Lock on IR for half his rookie season and seeing how raw he was I donít see how anyone can think Flacco isnít our 2020 starter pending injury.
    The thing is, Lock doesn't really look all that far behind Flacco. If anything, our W-L record would only be a game or two worse with Lock starting all year vs Flacco. The team may have convinced themselves that Flacco is something he is not, but the truth will be hard to deny when live bullets fly

The thing is, Lock doesn't really look all that far behind Flacco. If anything, our W-L record would only be a game or two worse with Lock starting all year vs Flacco. The team may have convinced themselves that Flacco is something he is not, but the truth will be hard to deny when live bullets fly
    Flacco is probably the only thing we'll agree on...lol
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

What exactly do you think they convinced themselves of concerning Flacco? I actually think he is a nice fit for what they seem to be trying to do for the next couple seasons.

Flacco is a stable veteran QB. He is going to lead a team focused on running the ball and play action. He will target short routes with an occasional deep throw to keep the defense honest. Broncos are built to rely on a dynamic defense and middle of the road offense. Just move the chains, win field position battle, and don't make the big mistakes. All things Flacco has built a career doing. I expect him to be the calming vet leader. the offense desperately needs. To have mediocre stats in the range of 24 TDs/12int, 63% completions, and a mid to low 90s rating. Nothing spectacular but wins games.

Are you expecting more? I'm not sure the Broncos are.

He is what he is for the next couple seasons until Lock or another replacement is found. Not thrilled the Broncos extended the contract and the possibility of dead money. Current dead cap of over $20M on bad decisions is why they likely had to make this move to clear space. Hope he meets my expectations or even exceeds them. Broncos need some stability for a couple seasons at QB. Flacco looks like he might be it.

With this new deal for Flacco, it will give Papa-pwn plenty of time to jump on the Flacco Bandwagon, and become a #5 Fanboy!!!!!

If Drew Lock needs 2-3 years of grooming to be serviceable and not elite, only for 1 year of production, you're better off trading him and drafting a new QB.

Now that we have a little wiggle room can we please trade a mid to late round pick for a real ILB. There has to be someone out there that will take a 4th rounder for one. Iím worried to death our ILBs are gonna kill us this year.

Restructuring Flaccoís contract is like paying a delinquent mortgage with a credit card. Itís not a surprise given the long list of poor decisions. Dead money for Keenum, Marshall, DT, Stewart, Watson, Lynch, etc. Itís temporary cap space but the debt is still there - no different than using a credit card to pay another debt.

So we took the on major positive of Flacco's contract and eliminated it. Sweet.

At first glance, I thought this was nothing but good: freeing up cap space for emergencies and a potential player extension. After sitting back and digging into it, I am a little worried.

The original contract spanned until 2021 previously and was voidable with no repercussions at any point. Flacco was due 18.5m, 20.25m, and 24.25m in base salaries the next 3 years. It was widely assumed that we would be cutting him sooner rather than later as those numbers exceed his individual performance.

Now we "added two voidable years" with the 17m signing bonus being converted and spread over 5 years.

The 17m bonus conversion means that a 17m, unavoidable cap hit is spread over 2019, 2020, 21, 22, and 23. Roughly 3.4m per year of extra cap hit.

So if we cut him after this season it is a ~14m dead hit and if we cut him after 2020 it's a 10m dead hit. If we cut him at age 36, after the 2021 year it is a 7m hit.

Yikes. He is still due base salaries of 20.25m and 24.25m the next two years, with prorated signing bonus hits of 3.6m now added to both years bringing his cap hits to....

23.6m in 2020 and 27.6m in 2021 with dead cap charges if we cut him exceeding 10m. So much for having a ton of cap space going forward? This will make it hard to retain guys like Harris Jr, Harris, Simmons, Sanders, ect..

There is a reason the Ravens wanted out of his contract, I dont know why we are making it harder in ourselves to get out of it and actually increasing his cap hit in all years except 2019.

2019 Flacco is already the highest paid individual year in team history, and for a player who really has not performed well in recent history, this is crazy.

What happens if he is again below average this year? We have a choice in the offseason of paying him 24m to stay or 14m to go, whereas prior we could have paid him 20m to stay or 0m to go. Yuck.

This move could really bite us. I'm sick of having QB dead money every year.
    Flacco's cap hit in Denver this year was/is $18 million, since they weren't releasing him this year any way. It's still that just spread out over two or more years, because they needed some cap space to make things work this year.

They can still release him in March and his total cap hit to Denver will remain $18 million, but it will be spread over two seasons now instead of just this year. And with the cap rollover being available, and Denver probably having some of the $13.6 million they made into "signing bonus" left over the actual hit to the 2020 cap is probably going to be very little.

This is more of a book keeping move, it's effects in future years is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Flacco's cap hit in Denver this year was/is $18 million, since they weren't releasing him this year any way. It's still that just spread out over two or more years, because they needed some cap space to make things work this year.

They can still release him in March and his total cap hit to Denver will remain $18 million, but it will be spread over two seasons now instead of just this year. And with the cap rollover being available, and Denver probably having some of the $13.6 million they made into "signing bonus" left over the actual hit to the 2020 cap is probably going to be very little.

This is more of a book keeping move, it's effects in future years is negligible.
    Itís not negligible. If Denver moves on from Flacco after this year, he carries a $13.6 million dead cap hit in 2020. If he is not cut, he will count for $23,650,000 against the 2020 cap. In 2021 Flacco will count for $27,650,000 million against the cap, and it would cost the Broncos $10.2 million to cut him.

Honestly we may need to sign an ILB. Davis missed the entire preseason and likely the first couple of games as well. There's no telling what shape he's in after all this time off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Honestly we may need to sign an ILB. Davis missed the entire preseason and likely the first couple of games as well. There's no telling what shape he's in after all this time off.
    If the Broncos extend and/or sign a quality free agent then itís worth pushing the cap into 2020-21. Itís basically kicking the can down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    If Drew Lock needs 2-3 years of grooming to be serviceable and not elite, only for 1 year of production, you're better off trading him and drafting a new QB.
    Meh I donít agree with 2 being a problem if he is losing half of year one where he canít even practice.

Meh I don’t agree with 2 being a problem if he is losing half of year one where he can’t even practice.
    Drew Lock is probably not very high on the FO's priority list right now. A sprained thumb doesn't take a month to heal, much less 10 weeks. Instead of carrying 3 quarterbacks for the first few games, they IR'd Lock, signed Brandon Allen, and created another roster spot for the waiver claims. That to me tells me they think he has a long way to go, with Flacco's cap hit being a strong confirmation of this. What's the point of having him backup for 2 years, only to have his first playing year 3 years after he's drafted, and then to find out he's not the guy? Waiting on Lock to develop means skipping out on multiple franchise quarterbacks if he isn't the guy.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    If the Broncos extend and/or sign a quality free agent then it’s worth pushing the cap into 2020-21. It’s basically kicking the can down the road.
    Agreed. I'll be annoyed if this is created just to have an emergency fund. Flacco's cap hit being spread out multiple years is an indicator to me that the FO believes he'll be here awhile.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!