Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 922
  1. #706
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    9,561
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    So many Elway defenders saying “we are close.” We aren’t. We are closer to Miami than San Francisco.
    We have lost 3 games by last second fgs. Miami has competed in maybe won game this season and hasn’t won a game.

  2. #707
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    I think you missed my point. We aren't that far removed from the Niners. We have a top 10 defense. We have what should be a formidable rush attack. Yet the Niners are undefeated and were 4 games below .500.

    We don't have a QB that can threaten a defense. Defenses don't have to respect our offense. How did these two teams perform last year? How are they performing this year? Jimmy G is a difference maker under center. We don't have one. That's what separates the Niners and us.
    We are that far removed. The gap is wide between our defense and the 49ers despite the Broncos defense being in the Top 10.

    The 49ers scored 51 points today. The Broncos will take 5-6 games to generate 51 points.

    Everyone knows we need a quarterback but the rosters aren’t remotely comparable. Not to mention the coaching.

  3. #708
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    So many Elway defenders saying “we are close.” We aren’t. We are closer to Miami than San Francisco.
    Are we not? As bad as our offense has been, we're 3 awful penalty calls away from 5-3. Because we have a team that can compete. We just have nothing even remotely resembling an NFL offense. Because of a QB that is past his prime, while never even really having a prime to begin with.

    Wanna tell me how we wouldn't be competetive if we had even an average QB starting for us right now? Our defense is playimg out of it's mind right now. This team should not be 2-6. We have more talent than that. But it will mot be realized until we shore up the most important position in sports.
    Last edited by Megalodon30; 10-27-2019 at 05:57 PM.

  4. #709
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Shanahan was fired because he couldn't coach a defense to save his life. Shanahan is out of the league and for good reason. He was a has been by 2008 and I'm glad we moved on.
    That is the excuse Joe forced onto Pat but it’s not the entirely true reason

  5. #710
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,582
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    So many Elway defenders saying “we are close.” We aren’t. We are closer to Miami than San Francisco.
    Truer words have never been stated.

  6. #711
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    We are that far removed. The difference between our defense and there’s is a lot despite the Broncos defense being in the Top 10.
    If you say so. A top 10 defense should have most teams playing competetive ball. The biggest difference between our D and theirs is that they have an offense that actually complements their defense by putting the ball in the end zone.

    The 49ers scored 51 points today. The Broncos will take 5-6 games to generate 51 points.

    Everyone knows we need a quarterback but the rosters aren’t remotely comparable between the 49ers and Broncos. Not to mention the coaching.
    Dominant defense, solid running game, no name receivers. Sounds pretty similar. Biggest difference I can make out is they have a QB and we don't. It helps that they have the best TE in the NFL right now, but if Kittle was here, he'd probably be a non-factor.

  7. #712
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    42
    Frustrated fans and supporters, for some brief amusement, check out the "post" on "Deadspin" from a coupla hours ago! Wait, take some Pepto Bismol or similar prior to doing this. . .

  8. #713
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Are we not? As bad as our offense has been, we're 3 awful penalty calls away from 5-3. Because we have a team that can compete. We kust have nothing even remotely resembling an NFL offense. Because of a QB that is past his prime, while never even really having a prime to begin with.

    Wanna tell me how we wouldn't be competetive if we had literally an average QB starting for us right now? Our defense is playimg out of it's mind right now. This team should not be 2-6. We have more talent than that. But it will mot be realized until we shore up the most important position in sports.
    No that last poster was right, we ARE that far removed. Jimmy G isn't anything special but yes he is better than anything we've trotted out onto the field as of late. The special thing the 9ers have going for them is coaching and an absolutely legendary and looking to be unprecedented defense.

  9. #714
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    That is the excuse Joe forced onto Pat but it’s not the entirely true reason
    I don't really care about the "true" reason. His defenses were atrocious his last couple years here. We needed a new coach. That much is undeniable. Perhaps they didn't handle his firing as well as they could have, but there's no doubt it was time for a change.

  10. #715
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Are we not? As bad as our offense has been, we're 3 awful penalty calls away from 5-3. Because we have a team that can compete. We just have nothing even remotely resembling an NFL offense. Because of a QB that is past his prime, while never even really having a prime to begin with.

    Wanna tell me how we wouldn't be competetive if we had even an average QB starting for us right now? Our defense is playimg out of it's mind right now. This team should not be 2-6. We have more talent than that. But it will mot be realized until we shore up the most important position in sports.
    No, we are not close. Saying we can compete and we have nothing remotely resembling an NFL offense are a contradiction.

    Scapegoating penalties fails to acknowledge 48 minutes of bad offense in nearly every game.

    Today’s game was a perfect example. The offense had opportunities to go up 14-0. They had the chance to drive with great field position three times in the 2nd half. All they had to do was convert a 3rd and 4 and the game was over. Von only needed to wrap up Brissett and the game was over. Yet, we want to blame officiating. How about, “If not for Von blowing that sack we’re 3-5”? Or, “If not for the offense failing to convert a 3rd down we’re 3-5”. The officiating is not a controllable but converting a 3rd and 4 is something they control.

    Who’s failed to shore up the most important position? Elway.

    When you don’t have the most important position filled with a quality player you’re not that close.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 10-27-2019 at 06:39 PM.

  11. #716
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,910
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Yes. Allegedly Joe felt that with Kyle at the helm it would open the door for Mike to be around the facilities again.

    Speaking of, Papa Shanahan is still available. Just saying...
    What’s even more crazy the Shanny/Broncos relationship got better since then.

    So that’s a poor decision of Ellis to be basing franchise changing decisions off of something as dumb as that.

  12. #717
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    18,858
    Elway's first mistake was to hire Vance Joseph over Kyle Shanahan.

    Everyone saying how Elway should have brought in Mike Shanahan this past coaching search is crazy. As much as we love Mike, his offense got stagnant and predictable.

    Kyle, on the other hand, was able to take what he learned from daddy - incorporate it, but also EVOLVE it.

    Look at the 49ers. He's doing a hell of a job (also a shout out to John Lynch).

  13. #718
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    No, we are not close. Saying we can compete and we have nothing remotely resembling an NFL offense are a contradiction.
    Except we have been competing. We've been in every game except the Raiders and Chiefs game. Our defense has been keeping us in games we have no business being in. Our offense is not an NFL offense right now, but we are still competitive. There is one reason for that. Our defense.

    Scapegoating penalties fails to acknowledge 48 minutes of bad offense in nearly every game.

    Today’s game was a perfect example. The offense had opportunities to go up 14-0. They had the chance to drive with great field position three times in the 2nd half. All they had to do was convert a 3rd and 4 and the game was over. Von only needed to wrap up Brissett and the game was over. Yet, we want to blame officiating. How about, “If not for Von blowing that sack we’re 3-5”? Or, “If not for the offense failing to convert a 3rd down we’re 3-5”. The officiating is not a controllable but converting a 3rd and 4 is something they control.

    Who’s failed to shore up the most important position? Elway.

    When you don’t have the most important position filled with a quality player you’re not that close.
    That's what I'm saying. We need a QB to get us over the hump. You want to take today's game as an example, let's do that. If one of our FGs is a TD instead, we win this game. But our QB couldn't execute. Our QB couldn't lead our iffense to more than 13 points. Literally any QB that could score more than 15 points would win today's game for us.

    We are a competitive team. We should be contesting the division and in the conversation for the conference. But without a QB, we can't even win the close ones.

    There's no reason to believe we aren't close. We've been close every game. A decent QB is the difference between us being contenders and us being pretenders.

  14. #719
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Except we have been competing. We've been in every game except the Raiders and Chiefs game. Our defense has been keeping us in games we have no business being in. Our offense is not an NFL offense right now, but we are still competitive. There is one reason for that. Our defense.



    That's what I'm saying. We need a QB to get us over the hump. You want to take today's game as an example, let's do that. If one of our FGs is a TD instead, we win this game. But our QB couldn't execute. Our QB couldn't lead our iffense to more than 13 points. Literally any QB that could score more than 15 points would win today's game for us.

    We are a competitive team. We should be contesting the division and in the conversation for the conference. But without a QB, we can't even win the close ones.

    There's no reason to believe we aren't close. We've been close every game. A decent QB is the difference between us being contenders and us being pretenders.
    We’re pretty much in agreement here. The quarterback is the most important piece. We still need a RT, LT and a legitimate TE. We also need a WR who can take the top off a defense. Sutton is emerging as a top 10 receiver but teams will be able to double him without a TE or another WR threat. We also need a RG - I think Wilkinson can be an upgrade over Leary.

  15. #720
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    9,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    I think you missed my point. We aren't that far removed from the Niners. We have a top 10 defense. We have what should be a formidable rush attack. Yet the Niners are undefeated and were 4 games below .500.

    We don't have a QB that can threaten a defense. Defenses don't have to respect our offense. How did these two teams perform last year? How are they performing this year? Jimmy G is a difference maker under center. We don't have one. That's what separates the Niners and us.
    I think across the board the coaching is better, and they have a strong offensive line. The run game is strong for them, and as a result Jimmy G doesn't have to do much. Our run game is mediocre at best, but our passing game may be among the worst in the league.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •