Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    Wow !! Unsure what to think about last nights game , the raiders are not that good and Carr is an average QB. we will be lucky to be a 500 team again, this is not who we are ! My guy JE needs to look in mirror and make a decision, either get it done or move on. Bottom line ! Out !

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    That is one way to look at it however I believe there are more assurances when you don't have to count on the big play or two a game to get you back in to a game. It's better to come in to the game prepared and ready. Coaching is raw and a week 1 game does not give much to scout to prepare an opponent so there is some grace to extend, but boy did we look awful. I can still taste it, bleh...
    I was just thinking that we weren't blown out, we were flat, but we were playing in the black hole, with an inspired Raiders team and crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree then.

We already watched the Kubiak failed season post Manning (albeit a winning season) followed by two failed seasons post VJ.

I personally no longer have the patience to wait beyond this season hoping to bear the fruits of the current labor. It’s good that you want to give it multiple seasons to see how the new staff shakes out. It’s fair to say I should have the patience for VF. And i do as far as he is concerned.

It may contradict a little but i just don’t have the patience to allow Elway to bear it out if we don’t start seeing some progress this year.
    Elway's job is to hire the coaches and get our players, and to his credit, his last two drafts have been good --I really like some of those players, Lindsay especially was an amazing find, an immediate weapon for our arsenal! This year, Elway made another big change with the coaching staff --he had to, and we will have to see how that plays out fully before judging his latest choices -isn't that fair? We really have no choice anyway because (thankfully) this is not a democracy where Elway can be voted out on a fanboard. Of course, one always has the choice to just tune out of the Broncos and the NFL for a couple of years while Elway is still GM.
    Last edited by L.M.; 09-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ex-kicker View Post
    Wow !! Unsure what to think about last nights game , the raiders are not that good and Carr is an average QB. we will be lucky to be a 500 team again, this is not who we are ! My guy JE needs to look in mirror and make a decision, either get it done or move on. Bottom line ! Out !
    Hi Elam!

9char

Last night was the result of a combination of factors, IMO.

New coaching staff, with new personnel. This takes time to gel, no way around it. The game looked too fast for Fangio last night in his head coaching debut for regular season. I'm hoping he will move his DC up to the booth so as to have eyes from above while he is acclimating to being on the sidelines in a head coaching role.

Second, you can't swing and miss on 1st round draft choices. When you draft a guy in the 1st round, you need him to be able to make immediate impact. Well, we're not seeing that from Noah Fant. Meanwhile our inside backers continue to struggle. You catch my drift.

Speaking of inside linebackers, we were missing Todd Davis last night. While he's no superstar, he would've provided better run support for the defense last night. He comes back next week, hopefully.

Yiadom was getting torched all night. Gruden knew what he was doing coming in to the game, and chose Yiadom to pick on. It worked very well. He was in over his head. Hoping Callahan's return will shore that issue up, or we will continue to have these kinds of mis-matches.

Lastly, our starters played a total of 20-30 snaps during the preseason. With a new offense, a new defense, new coaching staff, you can't expect things to go well in game 1 of the regular season when that's your M.O. The starters needed more reps, plain and simple. I know the Rams rest their starters the majority of the preseason, but we're not the Rams. I get that coaches want to prevent injuries, but this is the risk you take, and it showed up last night in the way of poor execution in all phases of the game. I suspect we'll see some general improvement as guys get more reps in, and hopefully will not take long.

It's a long season and, while I don't think this team is a playoff caliber team, a lot can happen in a short amount of time. I have been a fan of the game for long enough to know that one should never throw in the towel after week 1. Even as bad as it looked last night. On to week 2. Bears coming to town. Can we make a few adjustments in execution? Will we have Callahan and Davis back? A few things put in place can make a big difference. I will remain cautiously optimistic for now.
    Last edited by LASERLIPS; 09-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.

We needed this win I am pretty sure we can all agree on this

Quote Originally Posted by $Broncos$ View Post
    We needed this win I am pretty sure we can all agree on this
    I don't. We're not at the point in the season when we "need" games to qualify for the playoffs, and here at the beginning of the season, every team can afford losses. Yes, division games are more important but personally, I don't see us winning the West this year.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Elway's job is to hire the coaches and get our players, and to his credit, his last two drafts have been good --I really like some of those players, Lindsay especially was an amazing find, an immediate weapon for our arsenal! This year, Elway made another big change with the coaching staff --he had to, and we will have to see how that plays out fully before judging his latest choices -isn't that fair? We really have no choice anyway because (thankfully) this is not a democracy where Elway can be voted out on a fanboard. Of course, one always has the choice to just tune out of the Broncos and the NFL for a couple of years while Elway is still GM.
    1. Yes Iím glad the team doesnít pander to fans.

2. No i will not quit on the team just because Iím unhappy with the current direction. Itís ok for fans to be upset but still love their team. These three years of misery donít over shadow the 8 super bowl appearances and 3 wins.

3. Not sure if I agree on the fair point of letting Elway see out the coaching staff. Reason being is he has gaffed essentially every qb decision since signing Manning and has more or less gaffed the entire offensive line for years. And seemingly still so despite some other good roster decisions and staff decisions. Those reasons are glaring holes that are seemingly impossible to overcome no matter who you hire to run the show or who you select elsewhere on the roster. Iím not judging VF because he is working with the cards Elway dealt him. But I feel he has a very difficult uphill climb due to the mess Elway has given him at QB and along the line. Even if Flacco was the most serviceable weíve had at the position thatís not saying much when he has to play behind the atrocious oline we have. Those are what Iím sick and tired of giving Elway patience for. And I donít see those weaknesses getting any better in the next two years.

To bad there is 31 other teams in the league drafting players. If we could pick the players and coaches that we wanted instead of having to deal with 31 other teams, I'm sure we could win the AFC. But you know its hard when you just can't have what you want. Taking in the timing and variables to running an NFL team, it is a wonder the Broncos have won a SB at all. Yes, they have won several SBs and guess what the common denominator is with them....

How can you say this draft has been good? It takes a year or two to make that statement. We gave up Devin Bush, one of the most promising inside backers in years, for Noah Fant. Drew Lock is years from success. Risner may be good but still has a lot to prove.

Elwayís 2018 rookies earned him one more year to prove he can build a playoff team. It isnít looking like it.

How many of those great draft picks made an impact last night? Sutton had a great game, I have to give him credit. I can't say I'm a fan of taking a TE in the 1st round ever, unless he's a generational type player and Fant didn't have that projection. We've gotten killed by receiving TEs for the past 5 years and still have no young draft pick at LB to counter it. I didn't see anything to be excited about from the coaching staff either. Yaidom was clearly getting picked on, but was left one on one and got beat repeatedly. The pocket constantly collapsed on Flacco, but no adjustments were made. We've put faith in Elway for years, every since he put faith in Trevor to take over a Super Bowl winning team. Time is up after it looks like we're in for another season of blindly trust in Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    How can you say this draft has been good? It takes a year or two to make that statement. We gave up Devin Bush, one of the most promising inside backers in years, for Noah Fant. Drew Lock is years from success. Risner may be good but still has a lot to prove.

Elway’s 2018 rookies earned him one more year to prove he can build a playoff team. It isn’t looking like it.
    I would much rather have the 2 players we got for the 10 spot then Bush. He looks like a flash in the pan to me. He looked out matched by larger players and over run the play several times, But its ok because like you say, it takes several years before a rookie starts to make an impact. Fant will grow into a great TE for us and Lock can be the future QB. I sure wish we wouldn't have passed on Brady 20 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    I would much rather have the 2 players we got for the 10 spot then Bush. He looks like a flash in the pan to me. He looked out matched by larger players and over run the play several times, But its ok because like you say, it takes several years before a rookie starts to make an impact. Fant will grow into a great TE for us and Lock can be the future QB. I sure wish we wouldn't have passed on Brady 20 yrs ago.
    So after last night you are ready call Fant a good first round pick. Remember, the measure of a successful first round pick is league-wide honors within the first four years. So you think he is a Pro Bowler or All pro? I canít make that prediction yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Not sure if I agree on the fair point of letting Elway see out the coaching staff. Reason being is he has gaffed essentially every qb decision since signing Manning and has more or less gaffed the entire offensive line for years. And seemingly still so despite some other good roster decisions and staff decisions. Those reasons are glaring holes that are seemingly impossible to overcome no matter who you hire to run the show or who you select elsewhere on the roster. Iím not judging VF because he is working with the cards Elway dealt him. But I feel he has a very difficult uphill climb due to the mess Elway has given him at QB and along the line. Even if Flacco was the most serviceable weíve had at the position thatís not saying much when he has to play behind the atrocious oline we have. Those are what Iím sick and tired of giving Elway patience for. And I donít see those weaknesses getting any better in the next two years.
    I agree about the OL and I'm weary of it too (and I'll bet Elway's more sick of it than anybody alive), but he hired Munchak, signed new players and it will likely take time for them to gel so Elway really can't be fairly judged nor condemned for these latest decisions until more time passes and we have more results to examine. By the same token, he drafted another QB and we have no idea what we have in Lock yet either.

Of course, you don't have to be patient as fan patience has no bearing on any of it.
    I just don't see the point in wasting energy on getting mad, frustrated and railing and venting here while it's in process. That kind of anger comes from unmet expectations which is why I keep mine low these days. I'm happier for it. Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by champ&dreallday View Post
    How many of those great draft picks made an impact last night? Sutton had a great game, I have to give him credit. I can't say I'm a fan of taking a TE in the 1st round ever, unless he's a generational type player and Fant didn't have that projection. We've gotten killed by receiving TEs for the past 5 years and still have no young draft pick at LB to counter it. I didn't see anything to be excited about from the coaching staff either. Yaidom was clearly getting picked on, but was left one on one and got beat repeatedly. The pocket constantly collapsed on Flacco, but no adjustments were made. We've put faith in Elway for years, every since he put faith in Trevor to take over a Super Bowl winning team. Time is up after it looks like we're in for another season of blindly trust in Elway.
    Faith and blind trust is for religion, not sports, otherwise folks are setting themselves up for disappointment. Elway is a human who makes mistakes, like every other GM in the NFL.

Not thrilled on the Fant choice either when the OL is a perennial problem here, but last night was only one game and there's still a chance he grows into a decent player.