Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 908
  1. #796
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,954
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Who the hell is Adam Gase to be laughing?

    Kubiak originally wanted Joseph to be the DC. They went with Wade Phillips because Cincinnati wouldnít let Joseph go.
    Right. Vance Joseph had coached under Kubiak in Houston, and Gary wanted him as DC in 2015, but Cincy wouldn't allow it. I think Wade Phillips had been out of football for a year and had been Gary Kubiak's DC before, so he was available.

  2. #797
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,345
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Who the hell is Adam Gase to be laughing?

    Kubiak originally wanted Joseph to be the DC. They went with Wade Phillips because Cincinnati wouldnít let Joseph go.
    I canít answer that question all I can tell you is that it happened.

  3. #798
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,345
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    This is a total 20/20 hindsight judgement. Russell was a 3rd round pick, a diamond in the rough, much like Tom Brady in the 6th. Every team in the league passed on these guys multiple times.
    I heard a segment about two weeks ago were Sandy Clough had interviewed Jack Del Rio.

    Even though Del Rio was on defense, he stated that the Broncos scouting department ran by Brian Xanderís at the time thoroughly went through Russell Wilsonís collegiate performance and that they really like him.

    However they were shot down because they already had ďan unknown Peyton Manning after multiple neck surgeriesĒ but more than that, he stated that someone in the Broncos front office didnít like Russell because he just didnít the mold of an NFL QB.

    Yes that a front office person didnít feel that Wilson was tall enough. Hmmm Iím wondering who the heck he couldíve been talking about.

    Also at that time and nobody knew how Peyton Manning was going to perform after the neck surgeries and they went and drafted an heir anyway so I donít buy this bologna about having PFM and that is why they didnít draft Wilson.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.

  4. #799
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I heard a segment about two weeks ago were Sandy Clough had interviewed Jack Del Rio.

    Even though Del Rio was on defense, he stated that the Broncos scouting department ran by Brian Xanderís at the time thoroughly went through Russell Wilsonís collegiate performance and that they really like him.

    However they were shot down because they already had an unknown Peyton Manning after multiple neck surgeries but more than that, he stated that someone in the Broncos front office didnít like Russell because he just didnít for the mold of an NFL QB.

    Yes that a full person didnít feel that Wilson yes that a full person didnít feel that Wilson. Anna was tall enough but Iím wondering who the heck he couldíve been talking about.

    Also at that time and nobody knew how Peyton Manning was going to perform after the neck surgeries and they went and drafted an heir anyway so I donít buy this bologna about having PFM and that is why they didnít draft Wilson.
    Well at the time it would make sense to get a QB with a similar skill set to Manning so you donít get stuck installing a completely different offense mid season if Manning hadnít worked out.

    And we probably would have rectified that mistake with Prescott had he not missed his flight for his interview with us or got the DUI right before the draft. Which also probably means we wouldíve drafted a different player in the first over Lynch as Dak was being talked about as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So I donít see how someone could look at Wilson and say he doesnít fit the mold of a NFL QB but at the same time thinks that Dak does despite Wilson having much better tape coming out. Unless of course height is that big of an assessment

  5. #800
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I heard a segment about two weeks ago were Sandy Clough had interviewed Jack Del Rio.

    Even though Del Rio was on defense, he stated that the Broncos scouting department ran by Brian Xander’s at the time thoroughly went through Russell Wilson’s collegiate performance and that they really like him.

    However they were shot down because they already had “an unknown Peyton Manning after multiple neck surgeries” but more than that, he stated that someone in the Broncos front office didn’t like Russell because he just didn’t the mold of an NFL QB.

    Yes that a front office person didn’t feel that Wilson was tall enough. Hmmm I’m wondering who the heck he could’ve been talking about.

    Also at that time and nobody knew how Peyton Manning was going to perform after the neck surgeries and they went and drafted an heir anyway so I don’t buy this bologna about having PFM and that is why they didn’t draft Wilson.
    I think that was pretty much how everyone felt about Wilson hence 5 Qbs being drafted before him.

    If the NFL had the ability to measure heart and coolness under pressure Qbs like Wilson would never get out of the 1st round.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  6. #801
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,345
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Well at the time it would make sense to get a QB with a similar skill set to Manning so you donít get stuck installing a completely different offense mid season if Manning hadnít worked out.

    And we probably would have rectified that mistake with Prescott had he not missed his flight for his interview with us or got the DUI right before the draft. Which also probably means we wouldíve drafted a different player in the first over Lynch as Dak was being talked about as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So I donít see how someone could look at Wilson and say he doesnít fit the mold of a NFL QB but at the same time thinks that Dak does despite Wilson having much better tape coming out. Unless of course height is that big of an assessment
    It was all height, they (31 other NFL teams) thought he was too short. However when a QB is that short, it may be a good idea to look at his hand size, Wilson has some very broad hands. Lock actually has smaller hands for his size!

    I heard Kubiak was enarmored with Prescott and I donít believe that a missed flight would have made so much of a difference because all we has to do is fly to him or reschedule his flight. Anyway Kubiak was out voted and well we all know what happened after that.

    I know a lot of folks like to say that Gary Kubiak drafted Paxton lynch however if Paxton Lynch was originally Gary Kubiakís guy, then why did Lynch not play in the final 2016 game against the Oakland Raiders? I mean if he was Kubiak guy, the head coach wouldíve been anxious to get him on the field wouldnít he?

    The same thing could be said for Drew lock and Vic Fangio. If Drew lock was Vic Fangios guy, why then is he still on IR and why hasnít Fangios rushed him back to practice to develope him?
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-12-2019 at 09:24 PM.

  7. #802
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles LA
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Russell Wilson is soooo amazing. I was thinking the same thing. Furthermore, I kept thinking why oh why didnít we hire Kyle Shanahan instead of Fangio. Donít get it.

    Itís definitely time for Elway to go. So many head scratching moves resulting in a 3 win losing season.
    Well at least Elway isn't completely clueless however that only stirs a pot that whoever's blocked it and if it was Ellis that dud it maybe a whole house cleaning is in order.

    Successful franchises have great FO exec's that's on the same accord and work in tandem with each other. If we are having differences in opinions and confusion itll only trinkle down. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining but...man it's tough seeing the sharp decline.

    We didn't just slowly collapse a bit at a time we fell off a cliff very quickly. Whether it was the miss on the Qb or my personal reason...the draft picks we had missing on 1st round picks. Ray, Bolles, Lynch and some second round picks. All that comes back on ya at some point.

    Sad because we were in a perfect scenario to transition from Manning to the new successor which we are still looking for him. I'm not sold on Lock but he deserves the right to have his fair shot. I will say if it's bad... I don't see how even the loyalists to Elway can defend him.

    Unfortunate on the coaching hire though whoever made that decision and blocked Elway needs to go when he does. Kyle and Wilson could have been so dangerous for us man haha. The what ifs of the world.

  8. #803
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles LA
    Posts
    3,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I heard the fact that Matt Russell was a college buddy of Vance Joseph was the true reason he was hired.
    In fact Elway wanted to hire him back in 2015 when Cincinnati refused the interview.

    Also heard that Adam Gase and the dolphins laughed their butts off when VJ was hired in 2017.
    That's pretty bad when the dolphins laugh at you. I mean it's not like they are a model franchise themselves over there.

  9. #804
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    13,334
    There is already a thread on Kapernick, please use that one.

    https://forums.denverbroncos.com/sho...32#post5851832
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 11-13-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

  10. #805
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    Well at least Elway isn't completely clueless however that only stirs a pot that whoever's blocked it and if it was Ellis that dud it maybe a whole house cleaning is in order.
    Dmac said yesterday on the radio that he found out Elway had the green light from Joe Ellis to hire Kyle Shanahan. That's what makes more sense to me, considering that Ellis flew with Elway and Russell to Atlanta just to interview Kyle. Why would Ellis do that if he was going to block the possibility of hiring Kyle? It would have been a waste of time and resources. So, according to Dmac's source, it was Elway who chose Vance Joseph over Kyle Shanahan.

    Dmac's source also said Joe Ellis gave the Broncos the green light to bring back Rick Dennison and Brian Pariani if Elway and Fangio wanted to make Kubiak the OC.

    https://1043thefan.com/category/podc...59&n=The+Drive
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  11. #806
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,457
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Dmac said yesterday on the radio that he found out Elway had the green light from Joe Ellis to hire Kyle Shanahan. That's what makes more sense to me, considering that Ellis flew with Elway and Russell to Atlanta just to interview Kyle. Why would Ellis do that if he was going to block the possibility of hiring Kyle? It would have been a waste of time and resources. So, according to Dmac's source, it was Elway who chose Vance Joseph over Kyle Shanahan.

    Dmac's source also said Joe Ellis gave the Broncos the green light to bring back Rick Dennison and Brian Pariani if Elway and Fangio wanted to make Kubiak the OC.

    https://1043thefan.com/category/podc...59&n=The+Drive
    No surprise, Elway was smitten with VJ for a while. At one point he was the preffered DC candidate and we had to "settle" for Wade Phillips when Cincinatti denied us the opportunity to interview Vance for DC.

  12. #807
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,127
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    This is a total 20/20 hindsight judgement. Russell was a 3rd round pick, a diamond in the rough, much like Tom Brady in the 6th. Every team in the league passed on these guys multiple times.
    Exactly right! Every team that didn't need a future HOF QB passed on Wilson, twice.

    The argument that only our front office whiffed on this pick is patently absurd. Drafting is not an exact science, and luck (sadly) plays a role, especially with QB picks.

    How many first round QBs have completely flamed out of the league? How many second round QB's? Quarterback and head coach are probably the two hardest fills to get right...these are educated guesses for every team in the league.

    That said - it would be really nice to know that our current head coach and future QB are correctly chosen.

  13. #808
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Russell Wilson is soooo amazing. I was thinking the same thing. Furthermore, I kept thinking why oh why didnít we hire Kyle Shanahan instead of Fangio. Donít get it.

    Itís definitely time for Elway to go. So many head scratching moves resulting in a 3 win losing season.
    A few things here:

    1. When R.Wilson 1st came into the league these current rules which darn near make it illegal to fart in the general direction of a QB were not in place. So there were some valid concerns there about a VERY large man like C.Campbell and J.J. Watt coming full steam ahead and due to height differential just slaughter a QB of R.Wilson's height.

    2. I think the real issue we should be having here is that we took Oz over Kirk & Folles. They both had height and were much more within the "norm" in terms of height.

    3. Then we move onto Lynch again you'd think we'd have learned from taking Oz....As I posted in multiple posts the 3rd QB in ANY draft has only ever worked out once. Manning, Big Ben & Rivers. We'd have been better off selecting Brisett or Dak in 2nd or 3rd rounds.


    Lastly....the decision would not have been between Kyle and Fangio but rather would have been between Kyle and VJ. IMO - Kyle should have been the Denver Broncos HC and NOT VJ. I think given his offensive prowess we would have been in a better situation now if he had been here. There have been some articles which I read somewhere that indicated that VJ WAS NOT an Elway hire but rather an Ellis "suggestion".

  14. #809
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    That's pretty bad when the dolphins laugh at you. I mean it's not like they are a model franchise themselves over there.
    Of course Gase laughed. The HC gig should have been his opportunity but he was never given the chance. Then when Elway and co. came by and said hey we like your mediocre DC and want him as our HC...."LOL....have him he was gonna be fired anyways"

  15. #810
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    41
    Amazing insight. . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •