• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L.M.
    Vitalstatistix
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Tried to force Michael Schofield into a starting role during the John Fox era. Fox responded with “Schofield will never start for my team”.

Funny Schofield started the very next season when he gave up 5 sacks to Khalil Mack.

Oh perhaps firing Brian Xander’s who was a part of the scouting department when CHJ, Danny Trevathan, Von Miller, Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson were drafted.
    In 2011, Elway was made Executive Vice President of Football Operations and had the final say on ALL football matters.
    The Director of College Scouting was Matt Russell and the Director of Pro Personnel was Keith Kidd.

In 2012, Matt Russell was promoted to Director of Player Personnel. Xanders and Elway mutually decided to part ways in May of that year. See: Broncos,GM Brian Xanders agree to part ways after four years in Denver

Key quotes from that article:

“John and I had a lengthy conversation today and we mutually decided to part ways for the best interest of my career aspirations,”” Xanders said. “I appreciated everything that (owner) Pat Bowlen has done for the Broncos and for bringing me here in 2008. It was great working with Coach John Fox. I’m telling you, he’s a great coach to work with, and it was great working with John Elway.”

General manager had long been Xanders’ dream position, but his first big gig never came with the final-say authority on roster personnel. Shanahan had final say in 2008, McDaniels had the power in 2009-10 and then Elway was hired to take control of the front office in 2011-12.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Hadez
      Football Immortal
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
      I take the good with the bad. He has achieved more than 90% of the current GM's in the league. Pointing out that he has made mistakes is more about the person posting, trying to sound intelligent. Meanwhile elway is the one who actually achieved something
      to add

almost 1/3 of the teams in the NFL have not been to the Super Bowl since Elway retired

Elway has take the Broncos to the Super Bowl twice since he has been our GM :lombardi:....considering how low we were after the McD era that is seriously saying something imo
      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
      effort x talent = skill
      effort x skill = achievement
      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Fantaztic7
        Banned User
        • Dec 2015

or celebrate the 5 division championships,2 conference championship s,and the Superbowl and then turn on him!
        Can't have it both ways is right,if you celebrated Superbowl50 and now you want elway gone you must have forgotten 1999-2010
        By adding the following we have Elway’s full record as a GM:

43-8 loss vs Seattle, Super Bowl XLVIII

Lost in division playoffs: 2011, 2012 and 2014

20-31 record post Manning era.

3 consecutive seasons missed playoffs.

First back to back losing seasons since 1972.

First 0-3 start since 1999.

4th head coach in 9 seasons.

Comment

• RocketArm006
          Totally Worth It
          • May 2008

This is making me very sad. It’s like people have Stockholm syndrome.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
            Banned User
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
            I think the issue is that we all know that Elway is largely the one who put this team together but that he should be afforded the opportunity to turn it around. If you get rid of Elway, you should get rid of the coach and everyone else too. We just hired this guy and he’s three games in. We need to give it more time.

But who am I kidding, people are going to be itching to run this new guy out of town by week 8.
            Fangio should get a fair chance, but Elway’s time as the GM needs to end. He is responsible for the collapse of the team.

Comment

• Sam_Z
              Banned User
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
              This is making me very sad. It’s like people have Stockholm syndrome.
              That May be the best way I’ve heard it put yet!
              Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-22-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• 58Miller
                Football Immortal
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
                Fangio should get a fair chance, but Elway’s time as the GM needs to end. He is responsible for the collapse of the team.
                He's also responsible for 5 straight division titles, 2 conference titles, and a super bowl title. I was on board with the good times and I'm fine with him completing his contract if that's what he chooses to do. I'm loyal to those who have been loyal to the Denver broncos.
                sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
                  Banned User
                  • Dec 2004

I understand he won a super bowl, I think we all do and that is the only argument in his favor anymore but things change and ppl change.

This horrible collapse that’s never really happened to this franchise until now is only going to further tarnish his legacy.

I agree he needs to be relieved soon otherwise this is going to follow him around im the same fashion as the three super bowl losses did until 1997-98!

The only difference now is that he doesn’t have physical control over the games as he did then.

Comment

• L.M.
                    Vitalstatistix
                    • Oct 2006

What’s interesting is watching some people give Elway the credit for success, then shift the blame to others like Ellis as the bottom has fallen out. Can’t have it both ways.
                    I would say rather people want to blame Elway for everything wrong and deny him credit for anything good -that's what can't be had both ways.

Ellis and the other Trustees are u/ltimately responsible if you wish to take it to the top; they extended Elway and have been keeping him on. They haven't even mandated a shake up in his staff to get rid of Russell and the scouts.

This blame and faultfinding game is fairly unproductive though. The truth about causes is usually more complex and involves players and coaches too. I just hope everyone gets better and we win some games this season.

Comment

• Hadez
                      Football Immortal
                      • Nov 2004

He's also responsible for 5 straight division titles, 2 conference titles, and a super bowl title. I was on board with the good times and I'm fine with him completing his contract if that's what he chooses to do. I'm loyal to those who have been loyal to the Denver broncos.
                      people so focused on two+ losing seasons they forget some teams struggle with these issues for decades because it is hard to find coaches/GMs who can bring a team to the Super Bowl.

It is why a team should try to make it work with people who have proven they know how to get it done
                      What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                      effort x talent = skill
                      effort x skill = achievement
                      How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• 58Miller
                        Football Immortal
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                        I would say rather people want to blame Elway for everything wrong and deny him credit for anything good -that's what can't be had both ways.

Ellis and the other Trustees are u/ltimately responsible if you wish to take it to the top; they extended Elway and have been keeping him on. They haven't even mandated a shake up in his staff to get rid of Russell and the scouts.

This blame and faultfinding game is fairly unproductive though. The truth about causes is usually more complex and involves players and coaches too. I just hope everyone gets better and we win some games this season.
                        great post, I agree 100%, got to stay loyal to the franchise and trust they will figure out how to get this thing turned around!
                        The blame game is easy but fruitless
                        sigpic

Comment

• 58Miller
                          Football Immortal
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          people so focused on two+ losing seasons they forget some teams struggle with these issues for decades because it is hard to find coaches/GMs who can bring a team to the Super Bowl.

It is why a team should try to make it work with people who have proven they know how to get it done
                          Gotta trust the front office will get this thing turned around, let the critics and doubters say what they will, nothing they are doing is helping our team or fans
                          sigpic

Comment

• RocketArm006
                            Totally Worth It
                            • May 2008

Of course Elway gets credit for bringing in Manning and a windfall of FAs that brought us all that exciting football for 3 seasons.

He failed to build a team to carry the torch. Oline has been awful even in the Manning years. TE coverage and TE have been a constant issue. MLB, ST. It’s all been a consistent problem.

He has made a slew of bad personnel and coaching decisions that have culminated into the awful product we’re currently watching.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                              Banned User
                              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by L.M. View Post

It’s not Ellis and the trustees responsibility to mandate a staff shakeup. If you have to hold the GM’s hand to make changes, you’ve got the wrong guy.

Comment

• L.M.
                                Vitalstatistix
                                • Oct 2006

It’s not Ellis and the trustees responsibility to mandate a staff shakeup. If you have to hold the GM’s hand to make changes, you’ve got the wrong guy.
                                That's just your opinion colored by being thoroughly hellbent against Elway. If the CEO Joe Ellis wished to alter the F.O. he certainly could, and that's hardly hand-holding; it's totally within his purview as the president of the organization.

Comment

Working...
                                X