Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    A GM has many duties. But at its core, a GM is about good drafting. Good drafts result in good cap management which results in good free agent signings. Bad drafting results in overpaying free agents and bad cap management.

The poor play of the 2017, 2018, and 2019 Broncos is simply the manifestation of a team which missed on most of its first and second round picks.
    I disagree. The Broncos for decades have hit and missed on their top draft picks and so does every other team in the NFL. The loss of all-pro free agents and the lack of an elite QB, is the main factor in these particular seasons. If PM could've still played, we would have had winning records. Of course, if we could draft better then every other team in the league, I'm sure we would have had winning seasons. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by jflee66 View Post
    I disagree. The Broncos for decades have hit and missed on their top draft picks and so does every other team in the NFL. The loss of all-pro free agents and the lack of an elite QB, is the main factor in these particular seasons. If PM could've still played, we would have had winning records. Of course, if we could draft better then every other team in the league, I'm sure we would have had winning seasons. Maybe.
    There are 1696 players in the League (53x32). Every year about 110 players make the Pro Bowl. So 6.5% of NFL players make the Pro Bowl each year.

In 64 draft picks (I don’t count 2019 yet), John Elway has drafted JUST TWO Pro Bowlers who made the PB as a Bronco (Von and Julius Thomas). 2 out of 64. Elway is drafting fat worse than his peers. That is embarrassing!!

There are 1696 players in the League (53x32). Every year about 110 players make the Pro Bowl. So 6.5% of NFL players make the Pro Bowl each year.

In 64 draft picks (I don’t count 2019 yet), John Elway has drafted JUST TWO Pro Bowlers who made the PB as a Bronco (Von and Julius Thomas). 2 out of 64. Elway is drafting fat worse than his peers. That is embarrassing!!
    Yes, I'm sure he is embarrassed at 4 AFC championships, 2 SB years and having to draft at the bottom of the draft all those years.

So based off the example of 6.5% of players making the pro bowl, 6.5% of 64 picks would be 4.16 or 4 players. So you wanted 2 more pro bowlers?

You must not be including UDFAs like CHJ (4T PB selection) or Lindsay (Rookie pro bowl, first time ever for UDFA?)

Literally it's just unproductive complaining.

Elway still has another year or 2 minimum before we can blame it all on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    So based off the example of 6.5% of players making the pro bowl, 6.5% of 64 picks would be 4.16 or 4 players. So you wanted 2 more pro bowlers?

You must not be including UDFAs like CHJ (4T PB selection) or Lindsay (Rookie pro bowl, first time ever for UDFA?)

Since 2011, the number of players drafted by each franchise to attain Pro Bowl or All Pro status (not necessarily with the team that drafted them). Notice the Broncos (Elway more specifically) way down toward the bottom.

11 KC
    10 DAL
    9 CHI, MIN
    8 ATL, GB, NO
    7 LAC, LAR, PIT
    6 AZ, HOU, MIA, PHI, SEA, WAS
    5 BAL, CAR, CLE, DET, TB, TEN
    4 IND, JAX, NYJ, OAK, SF
    3 CIN, DEN, NE, NYG
    2 BUF

So the awful performance we’ve seen over the last three years is a team that is missing three extra playmakers on the field each week. That is Elway’s legacy.

Since 2011, the number of players drafted by each franchise to attain Pro Bowl or All Pro status (not necessarily with the team that drafted them). Notice the Broncos (Elway more specifically) way down toward the bottom.

11 KC
    10 DAL
    9 CHI, MIN
    8 ATL, GB, NO
    7 LAC, LAR, PIT
    6 AZ, HOU, MIA, PHI, SEA, WAS
    5 BAL, CAR, CLE, DET, TB, TEN
    4 IND, JAX, NYJ, OAK, SF
    3 CIN, DEN, NE, NYG
    2 BUF

So the awful performance we’ve seen over the last three years is a team that is missing three extra playmakers on the field each week. That is Elway’s legacy.
    But we’re in the same category as the Patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    But we’re in the same category as the Patriots?
    Minus the rampant cheating, good coaching, and HoF QB play...

Things can get worse.

Yeah we have not made the playoffs in 3 years but before that we won the AFC west 5 years in a row. The Chargers have not won the AFC West since 2009 and the Raiders have not won the AFC West since 2002.

But it is about winning the Super Bowl you say...since Elway has been here the only other AFC team to knock the Patriots out of the playoffs in the AFC is the Ravens....and Elway's Broncos have done it twice!

We should want to win it all. I am happy we have fans who want to do whatever it takes to win including getting rid of players, coaches and GMs who have won a ring for us but maybe can not do it anymore.

The one thing I think a lot of fans around the world forget is when replacing anyone on the team....it is easier to get a worse replacement than a better replacement. In fact it is really hard to get a replacement who is going to meet the expectations of this fan base....and I am glad we have those expectations. We just need to be real about things.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post

Elway didn’t become the GM after the 2018 season. As the GM he’s accountable for results, good and bad. The collapse of the Broncos over the last three seasons is on Elway.

Will the boards still be up in arms after we beat Chicago??? I'm not screaming for anybody's head until we see where this team is at half way through

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Will the boards still be up in arms after we beat Chicago??? I'm not screaming for anybody's head until we see where this team is at half way through
    After last season I thought it would be reasonable to assess the 2019 season. Even if results are bad at the halfway point it wouldn’t help to fire a GM mid-season (wouldn’t happen to Elway). With Fangio in place I believe Elway has 2019-20. If we don’t see substantial improvement I think we’ll see a new GM.

John Elway is under contract as the Denver Broncos' GM through the 2021 season.

Let’s face it we have if not the toughest schedule in the league and got shown up on a national TV game and lost to a rival we might be in trouble. My Baltimore friends were laughing
    Last edited by $Broncos$; 09-14-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    John Elway is under contract as the Denver Broncos' GM through the 2021 season.
    Then I would guess that he has until then to get us back into playoff contention. I just can't see them renewing or extending his contract if the drought continues through six seasons and if his latest decisions don't pan out well. And just letting the contract expire is probably an easier choice than potentially igniting a firestorm of controversy in Colorado by firing Denver's favorite son.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

There is a halo effect from the Broncos past success. I’ve observed less of the this effect after last season. Hopefully the new coaching staff can turn things around.