Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Studs and donkeys

It's gonna be a long season. So might as well bust out the studs and donkeys awards for the first game.

For donkeys, and there are quite a few, I would say Yiadom for allowing everything to be completed thrown his way, Noah Fant for penalties and missing some key blocks in the run game, Ron Leary for penalties, Jawan James for being one of the highest paid right tackles and getting injured in the first game, Desean Hamilton for dropping the TD, the entire coaching staff for not putting together a good game plan, and finally to Elway who is responsible for this mess, at least as much as it seemed tonight.

For studs I'll go with Royce Freeman who seemed to have a decent game, Cortland Sutton looked strong, Emmanuel looked good too, and Joe Flacco I thought was doing his part. Kareem Jackson looked as good as billed too.

Who gets your awards?
    Maybe we should resign Rahim Moore so he could finally get the chance to knock down a Joe Flacco pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post
    It's gonna be a long season. So might as well bust out the studs and donkeys awards for the first game.

For donkeys, and there are quite a few, I would say Yiadom for allowing everything to be completed thrown his way, Noah Fant for penalties and missing some key blocks in the run game, Ron Leary for penalties, Jawan James for being one of the highest paid right tackles and getting injured in the first game, Desean Hamilton for dropping the TD, the entire coaching staff for not putting together a good game plan, and finally to Elway who is responsible for this mess, at least as much as it seemed tonight.

For studs I'll go with Royce Freeman who seemed to have a decent game, Cortland Sutton looked strong, Emmanuel looked good too, and Joe Flacco I thought was doing his part. Kareem Jackson looked as good as billed too.

Who gets your awards?
    Donkey:
    - whole Dline
    - Whole LBer
    - Yiadom
    - Whole Oline but Riser and McGovern at times
    - Hamilton
    -Coaching staff for many reasons but for leaving Yiadom out there to dry so much.
    -Fant
    - Special.team.coach.

Stud:
    -Flacco looked good once a run game came
    - Lindsay/Sutton/ Sander look promising

One name that didn't stand out was McGovern. After all the reported problems in camp with his snaps I though we were in a world of hurt at center.

Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post

Who gets your awards?

My donkey award goes to Noah Fant. He missed key blocks and his hands were cement.

Yiadom for taking it like a..... someone other than a Champ.

The oline for rushing the timing of the play by not completing there assignments.

Hamilton for dropping a TD and killing momentum.

Studs

Flacco. The offensive line didn't do the guy any favors. Too much pressure all night. Then to top it off Hamilton wants to play volleyball in the endzone.

Studs were Flacco and Sutton. Everyone else played like duds but Denver always play like duds when they play a team that has more incentive to win than they do. All it takes is one player on the opposite team they have a little brother who heard his thumb and their whole team rallies round it and if Denver hears about it they cower down being afraid that the other treme is going to try harder

I saw no studs...and the team as a whole.... duds...

Gonna be a long season... hopefully we have good practices...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Studs-Sutton, Sanders, Kareem Jackson. Flacco-sometimes

Duds- Kick off coverage, Defense other than Jackson, O-line, Flacco-sometimes taking sacks missing open guys.

It's been a while - but wow, the Broncos looked like trash in ALL aspects of the game. I figured it'd be a LONG night when I witnessed the FIRST play of the 2019-2020 season was a handoff to our TE.

Studs:

Flacco - I'm gonna give it to him. He didn't look great, but he also wasn't awful. He stood in there trying to make plays (sometimes he stood too long).

Sutton - This guy balled out. Not worried about our future. He showed that he can get seperation and get open. Feed him more!

Duds:

Entire Denver defense. Is there really more to say? Carr had one of the CLEANEST jersey's I've ever seen - especially playing on such a crap/dirty field. Miller and Chubb? Hello? Are you there? They both got totally naturalized. Yiadom looked okay in the preseason, but he looked like a peewee trying to play pro football last night. He was shook from the first pass.

Rich Scangarello - Horrible start to his OC calling career. As stated above, the first play of the game was some cute/lame attempt to give our first-round pick the ball. The only issue was, it was a handoff! Ugh. When we did have some momentum from a playcalling standpoint - it all went in the toilet once he got into the red zone. Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.

Special Teams - I wasn't surprised. Horrible long returns, stupid blocks in the back (on a fair catch too!!), and missed fg attempts (although it was a 64 yarder). Just another year of crappy ST's.

A lot of hate on Fant. He didnít play great but he played like a rookie TE who the coaches didnít help him much either.

The block in the back was a bad rookie mistake. The holding call was on the coach or the QB for the protection. No rookie TE should be asked to block a pass rushing DE one on one.

He didnít drop any passes (the one was behind him and low wasnít really on him).

Heís looked better than a lot of rookie TEs throughout the history of the NFL (remember HOF Tony Gonzalez's rookie year in 97?).

Fant will be ok wasnít a great game but wasnít a bad game either. He had his moments in the run game where he looked like a good blocker and moments that he needs to work on.

Studs
    Sutton - I like his physical play. He looked better than I expected
    Freeman/Lindsay - They didnít put on a clinic, but I think they played well.
    Flacco - looked better than I expected.

Duds
    Hamilton - he couldnít catch a cold
    Tackling - it was an issue across the board
    Coaching. - what was up with the weird ďtrickyĒ play calls? All phases looked bad.

Really, the team did not look good for the most part. Itís the first game and all, so I really hope they start to ďgelĒ quickly, but it doesnít look too promising judging by that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    It's been a while - but wow, the Broncos looked like trash in ALL aspects of the game. I figured it'd be a LONG night when I witnessed the FIRST play of the 2019-2020 season was a handoff to our TE.

Studs:

Flacco - I'm gonna give it to him. He didn't look great, but he also wasn't awful. He stood in there trying to make plays (sometimes he stood too long).

Sutton - This guy balled out. Not worried about our future. He showed that he can get seperation and get open. Feed him more!

Duds:

Entire Denver defense. Is there really more to say? Carr had one of the CLEANEST jersey's I've ever seen - especially playing on such a crap/dirty field. Miller and Chubb? Hello? Are you there? They both got totally naturalized. Yiadom looked okay in the preseason, but he looked like a peewee trying to play pro football last night. He was shook from the first pass.

Rich Scangarello - Horrible start to his OC calling career. As stated above, the first play of the game was some cute/lame attempt to give our first-round pick the ball. The only issue was, it was a handoff! Ugh. When we did have some momentum from a playcalling standpoint - it all went in the toilet once he got into the red zone. Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.

Special Teams - I wasn't surprised. Horrible long returns, stupid blocks in the back (on a fair catch too!!), and missed fg attempts (although it was a 64 yarder). Just another year of crappy ST's.
    Actually before you LAMBAST Miller and Chubb. Look at how the Raiders dealt with them. In fact we made it PAINFULLY easy. Neither of them moved around the line. Neither of them were put on delayed counts. YET Fangio DID decide to drop our two bets rushers into coverage....I agree there were moments where I simply expect more from both of them but Gruden's gameplan was spot on and Vic never adjusted...and even when he did he stuck to his "scheme" and did not actually adjust to the situation which was presented.

Offensive adjustments: WOW....So we started to run the ball well....then we just stopped. We kept stalling in the RZ....so why not bring in an extra OL and just bully them and get a TD on the ground.

If I had to sum up my thoughts on this game it would be anger. I felt that this regime came in and said "Well we are just better" and never really seemingly addressed the issues which plagued us last season. The sad thing is I am not sure we will be able to win in our division at all. If that is the case then we may well be battling with Miami for the bottom of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Actually before you LAMBAST Miller and Chubb. Look at how the Raiders dealt with them. In fact we made it PAINFULLY easy. Neither of them moved around the line. Neither of them were put on delayed counts. YET Fangio DID decide to drop our two bets rushers into coverage....I agree there were moments where I simply expect more from both of them but Gruden's gameplan was spot on and Vic never adjusted...and even when he did he stuck to his "scheme" and did not actually adjust to the situation which was presented.

Offensive adjustments: WOW....So we started to run the ball well....then we just stopped. We kept stalling in the RZ....so why not bring in an extra OL and just bully them and get a TD on the ground.

If I had to sum up my thoughts on this game it would be anger. I felt that this regime came in and said "Well we are just better" and never really seemingly addressed the issues which plagued us last season. The sad thing is I am not sure we will be able to win in our division at all. If that is the case then we may well be battling with Miami for the bottom of the NFL.
    Carr gets the ball out of his hands quickly which makes it hard on any rush also.

Rich looked over his head calling plays. I mean I feel he can only improve from here. But his play calling was bad. I also don't like the fact of lindsay was running well then they take him out and Freeman in

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Carr gets the ball out of his hands quickly which makes it hard on any rush also.

Rich looked over his head calling plays. I mean I feel he can only improve from here. But his play calling was bad. I also don't like the fact of lindsay was running well then they take him out and Freeman in

Both Freeman and Lindsay were running great in the second half it is just a shame that Denver did not establish the run in the 1st half.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Both Freeman and Lindsay were running great in the second half it is just a shame that Denver did not establish the run in the 1st half.
    All I am saying Lindsay should have had more then 11 carries

Studs:
    Risner: He was the best OL, and for a rookies first game ever on the road, his future is bright.

Sutton: Hopefully this is a sign of things to come, he owned the middle, and gritted out after he was dinged up.

Flacco: He was decent, and his issues were things that should get fixed with more live action. There were some hiccups, but that was too be expected with the lack of reps. Once some of the easier things clean up, he will be pretty good, which is a big upgrade.

Donkeys:

Yiadom: I won't be beat a dead horse here.

Jewell: Josey is the McDonalds of ILB. There are better food options out there, and it's not particularly good for you. However, it's convenient and gets the job done. He didn't have any overtly negative things, but nothing positive as well. A mid tier back up.

Leary: Not really surprising, as he had very little reps. However, he was not good. Multiple penalties, and not much push. Hopefully he gets it together quick.

Scangarello: He thought he was the smartest guy on the field, and it cost us. He got too cute, and ruined our rythm. There was hope, but he definitely got his welcome to the NFL moment.

Fangio: He second guessed himself, and it showed. He looked uncomfortable coaching from the sidelines with added responsibility. Hopefully, this will be a good learning experience as to what works and what doesn't.