Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,316
    Calling Flacco a stud is a little disingenuous.

    He couldn't do anything until Oakland's #1 CB went down and they played a bunch of off coverages since they knew the game was done at 24-9.

    A garbage time TD with two minutes left in the game and some yards as well don't take away from the fact that he was flirting with 50% completion and 6 YPA for most of the game.

    He showed a true lack of pocket awareness and an inability to lead the team to TDs when it mattered. He looked just like I thought he would- just like Keenum. There was some good throws, some bad throws, some 10 second sacks, and some guys left wide open.

    All things considered, it wasn't an awful game from him, but it definitely was not good either. Well, maybe for his standards it was good, but that kind of QB play will put you in a 24-9 hole in the 4th quarter more often than not and that is not good.




    Freeman, Sanders, Sutton and Jewell were studs.

    Fant, James, Yiadom, and Simmons were duds.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Calling Flacco a stud is a little disingenuous.

    He couldn't do anything until Oakland's #1 CB went down and they played a bunch of off coverages since they knew the game was done at 24-9.

    A garbage time TD with two minutes left in the game and some yards as well don't take away from the fact that he was flirting with 50% completion and 6 YPA for most of the game.

    He showed a true lack of pocket awareness and an inability to lead the team to TDs when it mattered. He looked just like I thought he would- just like Keenum. There was some good throws, some bad throws, some 10 second sacks, and some guys left wide open.

    All things considered, it wasn't an awful game from him, but it definitely was not good either. Well, maybe for his standards it was good, but that kind of QB play will put you in a 24-9 hole in the 4th quarter more often than not and that is not good.




    Freeman, Sanders, Sutton and Jewell were studs.

    Fant, James, Yiadom, and Simmons were duds.
    I think this is a disingenuous take on Flacco. He moved in the pocket well, and a lot of sacks were coverage sacks. Sanders said it himself, that in the first half he had a hard time getting open due to slipping on the field. He made good decisions with the ball, and if youre going to give him blame for not leading TDs, you should fault Hamilton for dropping a perfect TD pass. He wasn't perfect by any means, but there was more good than bad, and the issues looked like things that should clean up over time. He was much better than Keenum was during his time here.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    103
    STUDS: Flacco, Sutton, Lindsey, Risner (in his 1st game; outplayed the other smucks on our O-line)
    DUDS: Everyone else, especially the coaching staff. And the fact that it is 2019 and we're playing a football game on a field with a baseball diamond on it (Raider trash).

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    1,505
    Stud: Case Keenum
    30/44 380yds 3TD/0INT


    (And that was with ZERO running game.)

    I'm starting to think there are some major problems with this organization as a whole.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,623
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I think this is a disingenuous take on Flacco. He moved in the pocket well, and a lot of sacks were coverage sacks. Sanders said it himself, that in the first half he had a hard time getting open due to slipping on the field. He made good decisions with the ball, and if youre going to give him blame for not leading TDs, you should fault Hamilton for dropping a perfect TD pass. He wasn't perfect by any means, but there was more good than bad, and the issues looked like things that should clean up over time. He was much better than Keenum was during his time here.
    This ^^^^^^^^

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Madison,WI
    Posts
    18,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Stud: Case Keenum
    30/44 380yds 3TD/0INT


    (And that was with ZERO running game.)

    I'm starting to think there are some major problems with this organization as a whole.
    Yeesh, of course that would happen.

    Whatever, I'd still take Flacco over Keenum. Not that he's a HUGE upgrade to say the least...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,323
    Played well:

    Courtland Sutton (big plays and nice YAC)
    Emmanuel Sanders (got involved but it was too late)
    Colby Wadman (booming punts but the D couldn't make them count)

    Not so well:

    Isaac Yiadom (no explanation necessary)
    Ron Leary (penalties and poor performance overall)

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Calling Flacco a stud is a little disingenuous.

    He couldn't do anything until Oakland's #1 CB went down and they played a bunch of off coverages since they knew the game was done at 24-9.

    A garbage time TD with two minutes left in the game and some yards as well don't take away from the fact that he was flirting with 50% completion and 6 YPA for most of the game.

    He showed a true lack of pocket awareness and an inability to lead the team to TDs when it mattered. He looked just like I thought he would- just like Keenum. There was some good throws, some bad throws, some 10 second sacks, and some guys left wide open.

    All things considered, it wasn't an awful game from him, but it definitely was not good either. Well, maybe for his standards it was good, but that kind of QB play will put you in a 24-9 hole in the 4th quarter more often than not and that is not good.




    Freeman, Sanders, Sutton and Jewell were studs.

    Fant, James, Yiadom, and Simmons were duds.
    There was no garbage time, we were in it to the end.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    14,533
    Fant was a big disappointment. But he is a rook ............ but he is a 1 round pick

    You've all already mentioned why and I agree....... dumb penalties and missed assignments.


    But something that really bothered me was ...... well 2 things.

    1- his body language. He doesn't look like he wants to be playing football. Man I hate to say that

    2- saw him arguing with Emmanuel Sanders during the game at one point. ......... Dunno what was said but I'm pretty sure Fant was wrong
    Red 98

    The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    14,789
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    Fant was a big disappointment. But he is a rook ............ but he is a 1 round pick

    You've all already mentioned why and I agree....... dumb penalties and missed assignments.


    But something that really bothered me was ...... well 2 things.

    1- his body language. He doesn't look like he wants to be playing football. Man I hate to say that

    2- saw him arguing with Emmanuel Sanders during the game at one point. ......... Dunno what was said but I'm pretty sure Fant was wrong
    I thought Fant was a mixed bag. He made some good and some bad. His block in the back for instance was a bad call. His hands were on the front of the raider, but the refs angle was misleading. He made some good first down catches, and showed some promise of being dynamic. That said the game was fast for him. A lot of mistakes were because of hesitation, and not attacking. You could see him processing in the moment instead of reacting. Typically rookie stuff, and I think the questionable play calling definitely made it worse for him. He will likely be a rhythm player this year, meaning when the offense is clicking he will flash, when it's not he will struggle IMO.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,500
    Flacco was great when his feet were set. But his accuracy was scattershot when they werenít. One of the passes to Fant and definitely the bootleg to Hamilton stood out.

    The offensive playcalling was well offensive. I understand wanting to get Fant comfortable early but you donít run a TE sweep before seeing how disciplined the backside pursuit is. Scangerello comes from a boot heavy scheme so I guarantee it was drilled into the Raiders to stay home on the backend all week. Run some stretches with the TE coming back to seal off the backside pursuit and see how disciplined they are before trying that. The what the heck screen was trash.

    But my biggest issue with the offense was that a good number of the passing plays featured no concepts. There was one play in the red zone where I think Sanders was the only one that ran a real route and every other targets ran a short hitch that the defense sat on. There were too many plays like that. Even the bootlegs were strange to see. Fant trailing in no manís land behind Flacco forcing him to throw a cross body pass and with only one WR over him. Iím used to seeing a TE in the flat, the backside TE and WR crossing to that side of the field while the playside WR runs a streak or a post. There was a bootleg with a screen set up that the defense stayed home on.

    This offense wonít work if guys can just sit on players. You have to force the backside DE to try and chase the RB down and that wonít happen unless you can establish the stretch run and the ground game in general. You canít run 3/4 hitches and a corner route with the WR theyíre doubling and expect any QB to make it work.

    Leary wasnít that bad to me. A bit rusty yeah but both of his holding calls seemed iffy to me. The first one he was leaned over the guy, not really holding him just kind of putting his belly on him and moving with him. The 2nd one, he just pancaked his guy and fell on him like many linemen are taught to do from a young age. That was the play where they missed the face mask and let the DE pile drive Flacco into the dirt. What happened to not falling on QBs with all your weight? Fant struggles blocking Karl Joseph but itís generally hard to block defenders when theyíre jumping the snap count, Flacco had to mix his cadences up a little better.

    Defensively, just bring the CBs up closer to the LoS. You donít even have to press the WR, itíll stop those short routes that neutralize our pass rush. I canít even judge Yiadom off this game because he was either 10 yards off the LoS or going up against a 6í6Ē TE which is both a terrible matchup and a terrible scheme. Also Miller and Chubb were in coverage way too much. Thereís no reason for that. Simmons needs work as a single high safety, heís got to learn to look for the ball. He missed a huge easy INT that Carr served up to him on a silver platter because he was looking for the WR.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •