• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Red_Label
    Bench Warmer
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    That’s a great point a lot here are missing. Yesterday’s loss would’ve felt better if we had a young QB under center. It’s pointless to roll out an aging, veteran QB on a rebuilding team, that doesn’t look anywhere close to competing for the division.
    When I heard that Flacco was our new QB, I was immediately disheartened. Joe's best days are long behind him. At least we got Manning at the peak of his prowess... before he fell off the deep end. I always thought Flacco was overpaid, but at least he used to be able to deliver sporadically. One game wasn't enough to say that he's done, but I'm skeptical. I hope to say that I was wrong. I always like being proven wrong when I "bet" against the team I root for (I don't sports bet or play fantasy football at all).

Comment

• johnlimburg
      Ring of Famer
      • Sep 2009

That’s a great point a lot here are missing. Yesterday’s loss would’ve felt better if we had a young QB under center. It’s pointless to roll out an aging, veteran QB on a rebuilding team, that doesn’t look anywhere close to competing for the division.
      And that is why if we miss the playoffs, I believe Elway should be fired. I would be totally fine taking a 3-13 season if it meant developing young guys and "re-building", but Elway again refused to take that approach by signing Flacco, and severely overpaying for free agent players. Now, because of this, I believe that if we cannot qualify at least for the playoffs, Elway has once again failed to do his job for yet another off-season. This talk is all very premature, but the first impression from this organisation in Oakland wasn't a good one.

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

At some point they’ve got to bite the bullet again and at least try to move forward with a young QB.
        Thx pal. My point revolves around the following:
        1) Flacco is not the missing piece in the puzzle. We have more work to do before we become serious contenders.
        2) Even if he has one or even 2 decent seasons, what's the point? Prolong the inevitable?
        3) For a team that is revitalizing in some areas, and in a good way, what do we know when Flacco is done? Will we have our QB for the future waiting in the wings, or are we still hoping? I like Lock, but like everyone else, I need more evidence. So, for that matter, if Lock was healthy, I'd like to see him get a chance sooner than later, and see if he can grow into the job. Because if Flacco plays as expected, which might be ok, we will still be behind the eight ball, wondering if we have to keep looking. Id' rather have a young QB given a shot, which might help verify that the search is over....even if the hiccups will be plenty early on.

Comment

• Henry2287
          Practice Squad
          • Sep 2019

I agree completely. Until Elway admits he needs to spend money on a quarterback with more than a year of fuel or passion, there is no leadership in Denver. Would YOU believe going all the way is possible with a retread that never has?

Comment

• CanDB
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Henry2287 View Post
            I agree completely. Until Elway admits he needs to spend money on a quarterback with more than a year of fuel or passion, there is no leadership in Denver. Would YOU believe going all the way is possible with a retread that never has?
            Welcome aboard!:thumb:

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

More of the same.....if we play teams that can defend against Lindsay, and provide pressure on ole Joe, we will be at a serious disadvantage. This is not a complex analysis. Good DCs with decent Ds can figure this out.

Comment

• Peerless
                Football Immortal
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                When I heard that Flacco was our new QB, I was immediately disheartened. Joe's best days are long behind him. At least we got Manning at the peak of his prowess... before he fell off the deep end. I always thought Flacco was overpaid, but at least he used to be able to deliver sporadically. One game wasn't enough to say that he's done, but I'm skeptical. I hope to say that I was wrong. I always like being proven wrong when I "bet" against the team I root for (I don't sports bet or play fantasy football at all).
                I'm not a huge fan of Flacco, and don't expect him to be anything MORE than a stopgap vet, but I think the 'hate' so to speak that he's getting is a little outrageous compared to other issues that were evident last night.

If you would have told me that Joe Flacco would produce 260 yards, 67 completion %, 1TD and 0 INT's the day we signed him, 80% of this board would have been fine with those stats.

Was he perfect? No. He had some poor throws, misreads, and became a statue at times . But we can also say that others missed plays for him as well (poor OL reads, a dropped TD in the endzone, etc).

Flacco isn't this failure that others are making him out to be. The Broncos didn't lose Monday night due to Joe Flacco.
                Last edited by Peerless; 09-10-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• L.M.
                  Vitalstatistix
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                  I'm not a huge fan of Flacco, and don't expect him to be anything MORE than a stopgap vet, but I think the 'hate' so to speak that he's getting is a little outrageous compared to other issues that were evident last night.

If you would have told me that Joe Flacco would produce 260 yards, 67 completion %, 1TD and 0 INT's the day we signed him, 80% of this board would have been fine with those stats.

Was he perfect? No. He had some poor throws, misreads, and became a statue at times . But we can also say that others missed plays for him as well (poor OL reads, a dropped TD in the endzone, etc).

Flacco isn't this failure that others are making him out to be. The Broncos didn't lose Monday night due to Joe Flacco.
                  Great post!

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• CanDB
                    Football Immortal
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peerless View Post

To be clear, I for one did not blame the loss on Joe whatsoever. And the signing of Joe Flacco is not on Joe Flacco. But I'd much rather start the new era with a new approach. And I certainly expect us to find a quality QB sooner than later, because we have failed to do that for some time, and with much effort.

And as mentioned, it's not like he's the missing piece. We have issues that need to be addressed. But if we go with youth in various forms, why not go with youth at QB, given we could not land a higher quality vet.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 09-10-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                      Banned User
                      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                      Seems like Vance Joseph all over again. I'll bet practice will be good all season long! That's what's really important here. It's not whether you win or lose, or how you play the actual game. It's about practice. And denial.
                      Maybe, maybe not. We’ll have to see how the season plays out. Fangio’s quote above was the first where he missed the mark - in camp and following preseason he called balls and strikes.

Comment

• $Broncos$
                        Playmaker
                        • Aug 2010

all i know is a girl im dating is a Bears fan. Ill never hear the end of it if we lose on Sunday.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                          The thing I was most annoyed at was the lack of energy. This is week 1, on the road, Monday Night Football, against a division rival with a new coaching staff, and we came out flat. From the start the Raiders just out enthused the Broncos, they wanted it more. I will say, as much as I think we did take steps in the right direction this past off-season, the high expectations of this rookie and inexperienced coaching staff need to be tempered.

I also think once again, this fan base really overrates the talent we have here, especially on defense. Josey Jewell is not a starting calibar linebacker in the NFL right now, Justin Simmons is maybe the most overrated player on the roster, and despite people claiming Von Miller gets double and triple teamed every play, which is incorrect, he goes missing for long stretches of games too often. This offensive line is going to be a struggle again as well. Ronald Leary was horrible, the often injured right tackle we overpaid is injured, again, and the rest of the bunch weren't anything else to cheer about. I think we could be a 10-6 team in a dream scenario, but I could also see us being 3-13. It's going to be interesting to see how they respond next week.
                          I thought the lack of energy especially early in the game had a major impact. Even a highly talented roster can get punched without intensity, let alone a team lacking talent in several positions. There were individual exceptions but overall they were flat.

It’s also an adjustment for Fangio being on the sideline. Many are expecting him to be the DC from the booth. He knows how to call the defense but I would imagine it’s different adjusting from what he’s used to seeing from the booth.

I was concerned about Leary - Munchak is good but he made a mistake. No way Leary should have been out there with no game action in preseason.

Let’s see if Fangio can get the team fo bounce back next Sunday.

Comment

• BroncoStampede
                            Ring of Famer
                            • Dec 2004

How do you win in the nfl? With a great quarterback. Without one, you are the browns.

Comment

• Houshmazode
                              The Mountaineer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                              The thing I was most annoyed at was the lack of energy. This is week 1, on the road, Monday Night Football, against a division rival with a new coaching staff, and we came out flat. From the start the Raiders just out enthused the Broncos, they wanted it more. I will say, as much as I think we did take steps in the right direction this past off-season, the high expectations of this rookie and inexperienced coaching staff need to be tempered.

I also think once again, this fan base really overrates the talent we have here, especially on defense. Josey Jewell is not a starting calibar linebacker in the NFL right now, Justin Simmons is maybe the most overrated player on the roster, and despite people claiming Von Miller gets double and triple teamed every play, which is incorrect, he goes missing for long stretches of games too often. This offensive line is going to be a struggle again as well. Ronald Leary was horrible, the often injured right tackle we overpaid is injured, again, and the rest of the bunch weren't anything else to cheer about. I think we could be a 10-6 team in a dream scenario, but I could also see us being 3-13. It's going to be interesting to see how they respond next week.
                              I think there is a severe lack of leadership on both sides of the ball. We have no Peyton Manning or DeMarcus Ware out there holding people accountable, so it seems the players who should be leading now (Von, Flacco, Sanders, CHJ) are content to just mail it in.

It is annoying to not have the coaching staff call anyone out for effort, saying they thought the playcalling was fine.

Our talent really isn't that great, the biggest holes obviously at ILB and on the OL. I think Bolles is a cancer, and Derek Wolfe acts pretty entitled any more for hardly showing up.

This teams needs a shakeup, qand it might have to start with Elway if we don't have an 8-8 season.

If Denver didn't have back to back losing seasons for the first 30 or so years of Bowlen's tenure, then there's no excuse for possibly a 3rd losing season in a row this year.
                              :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                              sigpic

Comment

• Saddletramp
                                Captain
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                                I think there is a severe lack of leadership on both sides of the ball. We have no Peyton Manning or DeMarcus Ware out there holding people accountable, so it seems the players who should be leading now (Von, Flacco, Sanders, CHJ) are content to just mail it in.

It is annoying to not have the coaching staff call anyone out for effort, saying they thought the playcalling was fine.

Our talent really isn't that great, the biggest holes obviously at ILB and on the OL. I think Bolles is a cancer, and Derek Wolfe acts pretty entitled any more for hardly showing up.

This teams needs a shakeup, qand it might have to start with Elway if we don't have an 8-8 season.

If Denver didn't have back to back losing seasons for the first 30 or so years of Bowlen's tenure, then there's no excuse for possibly a 3rd losing season in a row this year.
                                When there is no accountability... No is worried about their job. Flacco is mediocre at best. Oline is piss poor ( Bolles is a waste of money). No ILB, we don't cover TEs. While the players and coaching staff have to take some of the responsibility....ultimately this loss falls on Elway.
                                [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
                                Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Working...
                                X