Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Von Miller: The Myth of Double-Teams

In another thread there was a comment, the often repeated defense of Von Miller on being double-teamed. Another forum member successfully disproved the double-team myth last season.

Von Miller wasnít consistently double-teamed and chipped vs Raiders on Monday night. In pass protection the Raiders only double-teamed Von twice. Looking at the tape, a defensive coordinator should no longer plan help against Von (unless they have a really bad RT). The TE had an easy time blocking Von one on one.

Even without pass plays designed for quick release, it didnít look like Von would have been a factor. His first step looked slow and effort was weak. It could be the lack of reps in preseason, but he looks out of shape and/or disinterested. He was smacked by the fullback on one play.

Weíve seen stretches of games where Von hasnít shown up. He looked and played less than elite on Monday night. He was quite mediocre if not below average as an edge rusher. He also looked fairly weak on run defense.

Anyway, the main point is that the constant double-teams are a myth.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 09-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.

In Vonís defense, as weak as it may be, he has been repeatedly held, in the past, without flags being thrown, so he might have trouble getting fired up to play.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    In Von’s defense, as weak as it may be, he has been repeatedly held, in the past, without flags being thrown, so he might have trouble getting fired up to play.
    if that were true, he shouldn't be playing

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    if that were true, he shouldn't be playing
    Iím not saying it is true. I just wouldnít be surprised if knowing he has to overcome flagrant holds that donít get flagged makes it difficult to be as mentally prepared as he could be.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I’m not saying it is true. I just wouldn’t be surprised if knowing he has to overcome flagrant holds that don’t get flagged makes it difficult to be as mentally prepared as he could be.
    I think he has just as many "flagrant" holds as any other player....

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I think he has just as many "flagrant" holds as any other player....
    I think there is flagrant holding on every snap.

Some Miller quotes that might easily explain his absence this game:

"I feel like Trent Brown has a very bright future in the National Football League. He's 6-foot-8. He knows how to use his arms, knows how to use his wingspan and he has length. So I feel like he's young and people haven’t really seen him, but I feel like he’s one of the better tackles in the National Football League."
    "He's the best right tackle in the National Football League! And he may even be a top-five tackle, period, in the National Football League. There’s not another tackle who’s that tall, that big and can move the way he moves."
    This was regarding Trent Brown, then with the 49ers. He is now the RT for the Raiders. While it's safe to assume Miller may not be as explosive as he once was, going up against a player whom commands Millers respect and praise says something.

The tape doesnít show any flagrant holding, let alone holding on Von from the Raiders game. In addition, it wasnít just Trent Brown - Von was easily blocked by the TE.

Hard game to analyse the pass rush considering the Raiders only faced 3rd and 7+ twice the entire game, one of which being the screen to end it.

I think we'll stop talking about this once we get decent pressure up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Hard game to analyse the pass rush considering the Raiders only faced 3rd and 7+ twice the entire game, one of which being the screen to end it.
    it is also hard to attack down when the team can't stop the running game.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

I believe I argued about 12 people on that topic last season who all told me I had no I idea, until I went back and broke down half a seasons worth of tape to show this myth. It's been long running narrative around here that Von Miller is on the wrong side of officiating constantly, that he apparently gets held on every play, or he is either double or triple teamed, but as you mention, it is not true. I believe there is a reason why Fangio mentioned Miller needing to play better as soon as he got here, Von didn't take advantage of the high number of single match ups he seen last season, and against the Raiders, he was missing in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    The tape doesn’t show any flagrant holding, let alone holding on Von from the Raiders game. In addition, it wasn’t just Trent Brown - Von was easily blocked by the TE.
    I wasn't not clear, I meant holding on offense or defense on the line on any given play... or at least on most plays.

Von didn't need to be double against RT Brown. Brown is a monster and hard to go through with his size. With Carr releasing the ball in under 3 seconds prevents von from using his only strength against Brown...speed. We should have known von wasn't going to do much against the pass. Chubb on the other hand should have taken advantage of his at hip but quick released kill pass rush.

Doesnt help von either when he is playing 95% of the plays vs around 70% last year.

It was just an overall dreadful performance by all the entire team I can only hope that they right the ship by Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    It was just an overall dreadful performance by all the entire team I can only hope that they right the ship by Sunday.
    My sentiment exactly. This looked like a poorly coached team...it brought back horrible memories.

All three phases of our team be like: