Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 165
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,995
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Does anyone remember when Dennis Allen was the defensive coordinator, and how he used Von in some games ? I can remember him moving Von all over the place, lining him up over the center, giving him opportunities to rush from different areas, and Von making plays doing so. It seems for years now Von is just lined up on the same edge, and told to win. With Von now losing his one on one match ups more than ever, and offenses knowing what he can do, why not move him around and try to exploit different match ups ?
    Great memory. Now that you mention it, I remember vaguely. Might go back to see if I can find some highlights.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,872
    Apparantly, Vic Fangio is highly over rated as a defensive "guru". So far, all I've seen is vanilla defense, not the "disruptive" type that we had all expected. Or, maybe the Broncos talent level just doesnt fit his scheme.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,995
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Apparantly, Vic Fangio is highly over rated as a defensive "guru". So far, all I've seen is vanilla defense, not the "disruptive" type that we had all expected. Or, maybe the Broncos talent level just doesnt fit his scheme.
    I donít think heís overrated because he has a proven track record. He didnít turn around the Bears defense overnight. Heís also coaching from the sidelines which is not the same as being in the booth. Itís not like the defense has been terrible. The talent is an issue as we know we need help at ILB and it should help to get Bryce Callahan back.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Does anyone remember when Dennis Allen was the defensive coordinator, and how he used Von in some games ? I can remember him moving Von all over the place, lining him up over the center, giving him opportunities to rush from different areas, and Von making plays doing so. It seems for years now Von is just lined up on the same edge, and told to win. With Von now losing his one on one match ups more than ever, and offenses knowing what he can do, why not move him around and try to exploit different match ups ?
    theres a reason he got a HC job and is running one of the better D in the nfl again.

    i have been disapointed by fangio so far. but i don't think he exactly has the pieces here. it took him a 2 or 3 years to get his defense where he wanted in chicago.

    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,663
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Apparantly, Vic Fangio is highly over rated as a defensive "guru". So far, all I've seen is vanilla defense, not the "disruptive" type that we had all expected. Or, maybe the Broncos talent level just doesnt fit his scheme.
    You need talent to run a good scheme, period. When you have the likes of Josey Jewell, Corey Nelson, Justin Simmons, Isaac Yiadom, and Derek Wolfe as feature players on you defense, you are not going to be able to be too dynamic in what you do. At some point these players need to make some plays. Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Chris Harris, these highly paid highly touted defenders need to just make something happen. Last year everyone was angry that our coaches were running stunts constantly along the defensive line and trying to scheme their way to sacks, but maybe that was because our guys just weren't making the plays themselves. Our pass rush from the inside to the outside has been poor, and we don't have the elite back end players to account for that.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,685
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    You need talent to run a good scheme, period. When you have the likes of Josey Jewell, Corey Nelson, Justin Simmons, Isaac Yiadom, and Derek Wolfe as feature players on you defense, you are not going to be able to be too dynamic in what you do. At some point these players need to make some plays. Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Chris Harris, these highly paid highly touted defenders need to just make something happen. Last year everyone was angry that our coaches were running stunts constantly along the defensive line and trying to scheme their way to sacks, but maybe that was because our guys just weren't making the plays themselves. Our pass rush from the inside to the outside has been poor, and we don't have the elite back end players to account for that.
    i have still been wanting to see more walker and Jones, but Jones has been a game day inactive. we defintelly don't have any one that can play the akeem hicks role from his bears defense.

    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    83
    I don't know if it's the CB's or the coaching staff but to me it looks like the CS is coaching scared. They aren't giving up a ton of points but they also aren't creating the kind of gamechanging plays by not pressuring

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,016
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaccoTruther View Post
    I don't know if it's the CB's or the coaching staff but to me it looks like the CS is coaching scared. They aren't giving up a ton of points but they also aren't creating the kind of gamechanging plays by not pressuring
    Because we have one good corner on the field. Our players canít get to the quarterback if someone is always open 2 seconds after the ball is snapped. It should chance when Callahan gets on the field, but until then itís gonna be tough to stop anyone

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Because we have one good corner on the field. Our players canít get to the quarterback if someone is always open 2 seconds after the ball is snapped. It should chance when Callahan gets on the field, but until then itís gonna be tough to stop anyone
    While Callahan is out and Yiadom is struggling I think the obvious would be to just slide Jackson to CB opposite Harris and let Will Parks play S. Jackson has played CB for years and is a physical press corner that can disrupt the quick passing game which has been killing us. Even Yiadom is more of a press coverage CB, I just donít understand why heís being asked to play so far off the WR, if youíre that worried about him getting beat deep go with a 2 high safety look it isnít like weíre blitzing a lot anyway. Itís like weíre just playing Cover 6 every play and hoping for the best.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Because we have one good corner on the field. Our players can’t get to the quarterback if someone is always open 2 seconds after the ball is snapped. It should chance when Callahan gets on the field, but until then it’s gonna be tough to stop anyone
    Well it seems strange to me because the strength of defense is the pass rush. In many cases they aren't even being given the opportunity to rush the QB.

    I don't think I've ever seen Von drop into coverage so much

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Because we have one good corner on the field. Our players can’t get to the quarterback if someone is always open 2 seconds after the ball is snapped. It should chance when Callahan gets on the field, but until then it’s gonna be tough to stop anyone
    I wasn't able to watch either of the first two games live. After the results of each, I haven't gone back to watch the replays either. So take this with a grain of salt but so far it seems to me that we are playing both Chubb and Miller as DE's in a four man front a lot. It keeps catching my eye on play after play. Is this accurate or have I just not seen enough plays to get a balanced viewpoint?

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,188
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaccoTruther View Post
    I don't know if it's the CB's or the coaching staff but to me it looks like the CS is coaching scared. They aren't giving up a ton of points but they also aren't creating the kind of gamechanging plays by not pressuring
    We are missing the big plays (no sacks and no Ints) but we are currently in the league leaders in passing yards per game (4th) and passing TDs allowed (2 teams allowed less)

    Considering we have a new coaching staff and injured defensive backfield I may wait before going off the deep end about this. In fact I personally would give the coaching staff a full season before going too crazy about anything.

    I know we 0-2 but we just spent the last two years drafting top 10 and top 5. It was not going to be a quick turn around if we have our heads in reality.
    Last edited by Hadez; 09-20-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    111
    Zero sacks and Zero interceptions after two weeks. Miller and Chubb have 16 tackles and ZERO sacks combined. So what has changed? Pretty much the same D as last year. New coaching staff and new head coach. And that's where I place the blame. Fangio is suppose to be this "Defensive guru" and I think he and his staff have made it worse. They don't use Von effectively and they make no adjustments. They have left Yaidom in despite him being burnt more than toast. They cant seem to find a way to get any pressure on the QB. Trubisky would have folded (like he did in week 1) with any type of pressure. Fangio is in over his head and is showing he might not be a qualified HC. The coming weeks will be a good test (GB, SD, and KC coming up). If I see no improvement, I would not wait to clean house.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,188
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
    Zero sacks and Zero interceptions after two weeks. Miller and Chubb have 16 tackles and ZERO sacks combined. So what has changed? Pretty much the same D as last year. New coaching staff and new head coach. And that's where I place the blame. Fangio is suppose to be this "Defensive guru" and I think he and his staff have made it worse. They don't use Von effectively and they make no adjustments. They have left Yaidom in despite him being burnt more than toast. They cant seem to find a way to get any pressure on the QB. Trubisky would have folded (like he did in week 1) with any type of pressure. Fangio is in over his head and is showing he might not be a qualified HC. The coming weeks will be a good test (GB, SD, and KC coming up). If I see no improvement, I would not wait to clean house.
    Once the season is over I think everything should be on the table. Does not mean any particular trigger is pulled but everything should be on the table.

    This thread makes it obvious some have been waiting since 2018 season to jump all over Von Miller but the fact that no one on the defense is making big plays should also say something.
    Win lose or tie Bronco fan til I die

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    13,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Once the season is over I think everything should be on the table. Does not mean any particular trigger is pulled but everything should be on the table.

    This thread makes it obvious some have been waiting since 2018 season to jump all over Von Miller but the fact that no one on the defense is making big plays should also say something.
    As much as it pains me to say it, but Iím not entirely sure heíll be on the roster next season.

    If theyíre going to do something with Von, I guess Iíd rather they do it before the season ends so heíd at least have the opportunity to land with a winning franchise and possibly make another super bowl appearance.

    However itíd have to be with a coach that is going to utilize his talents and not have him dropping into coverage.

    Thatís if the Broncos season continues to go down hill and only if!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •