Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 can't play

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i would rather see James at LT and keep Wilkinson at RT if we go that way. James is probably our best tackle. i am not sold on wilkinson as a starting caliber Tackle in general. he has not looked great on the right side.
    Wilkinson played solid at RT last Sunday. After watching every snap there were two plays he could have improved, one was the batted ball by Lynch. The other was a pressure he gave up. Otherwise he was solid for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Thats the thing though, we can only guess as to what the power structure is. Its hard to say who is responsible for what. Weve seen two very different draft and free agency strategies under Elway. The high production/high character drafts he employed when he first got here and the past two drafts with the highly athletic boom or bust questionable character drafts sandwiched in between. And the splurging on top level FA talent to the bargain bin shopping and now back to spending on big names in FA or at least the bigger names we can attract with our current QB situation.

Why is that? I have a theory that Ellis didnt like the credit Elway got for the turnaround and started being more vocal but has now realized that hes hurting the team. I have nothing to back this up other than the fact that weve seen 2 very very different philosophies in both drafting and free agency.
    Theories aside, Elway is the GM and he owns success or failure. He accepts the paycheck and the lucrative deals with local businesses. Many fans point to Elway as the one responsible for success. It cuts both ways and he owns the collapse. If Ellis meddles in Elways decisions and he doesnt like it, he can step down.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I think it's past time for him to go, but Elway is friends with him and so he remains his top advisor. IIRC, Russell is also in good standing with Ellis.
    Then Elway is putting friendship ahead of the Broncos.

One thing is for sure , we need a Quenton Nelson type tackle in the draft 2020. I thought Nelson going that soon for a guard was dumb but I eat my words . That player has made a huge difference. We need to solidify our trench players .

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Then Elway is putting friendship ahead of the Broncos.
    Perhaps. He hired his old friend Gary Kubiak and that did actually work out for one championship title. The thinking is that collaboration and trust is improved if you work with your friends.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    What about Ellis and scouts who rank these Draftees? Is Elway the only one who decides who gets drafted. Food for thought 75% of 1st rounders dont make it to their next contract with the team who drafted them. This was stated on the fan 104.3 .
    Sure but I think the Broncos fans expect one of two things. One that as a team we are above the norm and average. I would argue that we've had better UDFA's on our team then we've drafted 1st round players. Realistically when you look at those we've drafted Chubb and Von are looking like the only good to truly starting caliber players we've got in the 1st. Two accountability and adaptation. Elway in the post Manning era failed to recognize that we were not the same team. As a result he continued to draft quantity over quality. In fact if we are being truly honest with ourselves even these past few drafts have been poor.

- J.Simmons: likely poorly utilized with us but not exceptional

- B.Langley: so poor at CB that he's gone now

- Doss: cut outright

- Parks: has some moments but isn't filling that role left wide open by our former No Fly Zone

- Gotsis: looking better but not setting the world on fire.

Based on our record and how we are NOT winning much I'd say the following is all true:

- 2018 draft- average
    - 2017 draft- poor to very poor
    - 2016 draft- poor to very poor
    - 2015 draft- poor to very poor

How are we as a team supposed to win and sustain winning with garbage drafting and what is clear incompetence from the top.

The truly well run teams would have traded Bolles away and leveraged talented coaches to coach up new LTs. Leverage the draft capital gained by trading decent to average players away and keep winning.

I'd argue trading Bolles away this off season is best for us

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I think it's past time for him to go, but Elway is friends with him and so he remains his top advisor. IIRC, Russell is also in good standing with Ellis.
    If someone is in the building solely because they are friends with you as the boss, then there are big problems with your company and the way you are running it.

I just saw where Elway asked if Bolles actually knew what holding was...........
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

--J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I just saw where Elway asked if Bolles actually knew what holding was...........
    I think it's pretty clear Bolles is on notice. Jake Rodgers was brought up from the PS, so it must he an indicator that someone will step in soon for him if he doesn't fix his holding issues. The only thing is that I am not certain Rodgers is up to the task either. James won't be back for awhile, if at all, and until then its watch Bolles hold unless you trust Jake Rodgers as a starting OT.

The FO did an awful job at not getting depth and multiple options for the O line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Sure but I think the Broncos fans expect one of two things. One that as a team we are above the norm and average. I would argue that we've had better UDFA's on our team then we've drafted 1st round players. Realistically when you look at those we've drafted Chubb and Von are looking like the only good to truly starting caliber players we've got in the 1st. Two accountability and adaptation. Elway in the post Manning era failed to recognize that we were not the same team. As a result he continued to draft quantity over quality. In fact if we are being truly honest with ourselves even these past few drafts have been poor.

- J.Simmons: likely poorly utilized with us but not exceptional

- B.Langley: so poor at CB that he's gone now

- Doss: cut outright

- Parks: has some moments but isn't filling that role left wide open by our former No Fly Zone

- Gotsis: looking better but not setting the world on fire.

Based on our record and how we are NOT winning much I'd say the following is all true:

- 2018 draft- average
    - 2017 draft- poor to very poor
    - 2016 draft- poor to very poor
    - 2015 draft- poor to very poor

How are we as a team supposed to win and sustain winning with garbage drafting and what is clear incompetence from the top.

The truly well run teams would have traded Bolles away and leveraged talented coaches to coach up new LTs. Leverage the draft capital gained by trading decent to average players away and keep winning.

I'd argue trading Bolles away this off season is best for us
    Nice post!

Im not sure we would get much for Bolles, if anything. He would have to improve significantly with only a few penalties the rest of the season. If not for Leary getting called for one of Bolles holding calls, he would have been at 5 for the game - half his 2018 season total after two games. My goodness.

Bolles has a future in the UFC. His takedown technique is excellent.

Bolles has a future in the UFC. His takedown technique is excellent.
    He honestly needs to be considered for the D line.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Id like to think so but I just cant, hed be the worst player on the defensive line and eventually cut like the cb turned wr we just cut.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    He needs to leave football.

Nice post!

Im not sure we would get much for Bolles, if anything. He would have to improve significantly with only a few penalties the rest of the season. If not for Leary getting called for one of Bolles holding calls, he would have been at 5 for the game - half his 2018 season total after two games. My goodness.
    Yah, I don't know what another team would give us that wasn't very bad for us. I suppose the Bears would offer locusts or something like that.