• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saddletramp
    Captain
    • Nov 2005

Broncos v Bears week 2.

This is International Business Times' week 2 point spread/over and under prediction.

The Denver Broncos ended the Week 1 schedule with a thud, losing 24-16 to the Oakland Raiders in a game that wasn’t as close as the final score indicated. In Week 2, Joe Flacco and Co. will try to pick up their first win of the 2019 NFL season against the Chicago Bears, who won the NFC North last season with a 12-4 record and the conference’s best defense.

Chicago’s season opener didn’t go as planned, either. The Bears were beaten by the rival Green Bay Packers at home 10-3. Only one other team failed to score a touchdown on the first weekend of the season.

The betting public seems to think Chicago has a much better chance to bounce back when the Bears visit the Broncos Sunday afternoon. Denver has moved to a 2.5-point home underdog, according to OddsShark.The betting line was a pick’em before the Raiders upset the Broncos Monday night.

The shift in the point spread makes Denver the right pick in Week 2. There are several reasons to believe the Broncos will pull out the victory for their first win of the season.

Even when they don’t have a particularly good team, the Broncos can be difficult to beat in Denver, especially at the start of the season. The Broncos began 2018 with home wins against the Seattle Seahawks and Raiders before ending the year with a 6-10 record. In their 5-11 campaign two years ago, Denver beat the Los Angeles Chargers and Dallas Cowboys at Mile High in the season’s first two weeks.

Over the last eight years, the Broncos have won 12 straight home games that have taken place in either Week 1 or Week 2. The Bears have lost their first road game of the season in four straight years.

Denver’s offensive struggles from Week 1 are more than likely to carry over to Week 2. Chicago’s defense looked to be in mid-season form against Green Bay, holding the Packers’ offense to 213 yards and one touchdown. Aaron Rodgers was sacked five times, and Flacco figures to have a poor game.

But the same could be said for Mitchell Trubisky and the Bears’ offense.

Chicago was limited to 254 yards with no trips into the end zone in the NFL’s Kickoff Game. The concerns regarding Trubisky only grew with his 228 yards and one interception on 45 attempts. On Sunday, he’ll be facing a defense led by first-year head coach Vic Fangio, who knows Trubisky well from his time as Chicago’s defensive coordinator.

Trubisky won’t perform like Derek Carr, who picked apart Denver for 22 completions on 26 attempts Monday night. Not only did the quarterback avoid taking a sack, but he didn’t get hit in the entire game against Denver.

Expect the Broncos’ pass rush to rebound in their home opener. The Broncos were eighth in sacks last year. Von Miller and Bradley Chubb still lead the defense after combining for 26.5 sacks in 2018.

Oakland’s offensive line might have been vastly underrated after signing tackle Trent Brown to a record contract. Chicago’s offensive line is coming off a game in which it allowed five sacks.

MVP Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs were the only visiting team to score more than 24 points in Denver last season. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots were the only opponents to do so in 2017.

Don’t expect Trubisky and the Bears to be the one team that has a big day at Mile High in 2018.

It’s going to be a close, low-scoring game, one that likely falls below the over/under of 40.5. Take the home team that’s getting the points.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM.
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey
  • JW7
    Captain
    • Apr 2009

Broncos are 21-1 in their last 22 home games in September.

They need to bounce back after last week. Hopefully they can get the run game and defense going after last week's mess of a game.
    sigpic

Comment

• Henry2287
      Practice Squad
      • Sep 2019

[QUOTE=Saddletramp;5827908]This is International Business Times' week 2 point spread/over and under prediction.

Trubisky won’t perform like Derek Carr, who picked apart Denver for 22 completions on 26 attempts Monday night. Not only did the quarterback avoid taking a sack, but he didn’t get hit "

I've heard nothing but accolades for Fangio,
      Bradley and Chubb, Miller and co., and nobody touched him?
      How can we expect improvement from a defense that makes such a poor showing in a division game? Surely they, at least the players, knew what to expect. I've been a Bronco-maniac since 1975, and if the organization no longer embraces the pure pleasure of tackling the enemy's field general, they need to forfeit the next game out of respect for the fans.

Comment

• gtown53
        All-Pro
        • Apr 2008

It isn't about the Broncos pass-rush. It's about the Broncos inability to stop the run, up the gut. Chicago is going to base their game plan off of exactly what Oakland did. If Denver can't stop the run, and I have my doubts that they can, then they will lose, .............................. again.

Comment

• beastlyskronk
          Football Immortal
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
          It isn't about the Broncos pass-rush. It's about the Broncos inability to stop the run, up the gut. Chicago is going to base their game plan off of exactly what Oakland did. If Denver can't stop the run, and I have my doubts that they can, then they will lose, .............................. again.
          The Bears oline doesn’t have the sheer mass that Oakland does. They aren’t really built to line up in a I formation and run up the middle play after play.

Comment

• Saddletramp
            Captain
            • Nov 2005

One of the big downsides of a late Monday night game is the quick turnaround. There’s simply no time for the Broncos to lick their wounds and recover from the 24-16 loss to Oakland with Chicago coming to town.

For us fans, that’s probably a good thing as we don’t have to dwell too long with another game quickly approaching. To get some insight into the Bears, I spoke with Aaron Leming, who writes for Windy City Gridiron.

1st and 10
            I know week 1 tends to lead to some overreactions, so I have to ask: What are your thoughts on Mitch Trubisky’s performance and how does he rebound over the rest of the 2019 season?

Leming: Week 1 is always a mixed bag, as we’ve seen with some of the results of this weekend so far.

With that in mind, concerns with Trubisky can’t be limited to his performance on Thursday night. A lot of what he displayed (dropping eyes with pressure, poor footwork and locking onto a single read or side of the field) have been issues ranging back to his rookie year. I went on record multiple times this offseason and really the only thing I called for this season from the third year-quarterback was more consistency.

The Bears talked about consistent and incremental progress but what we saw in Week 1 was a sizable step back from that. That’s really the concern right now. Now, obviously that doesn’t mean he’s exactly the quarterback we saw in Week 1 but the lack of consistency and overall progression in those key areas I highlighted above is what makes this a sizable concern.

I’m not one to rush to judgment, especially when determining who a player is or will be. With that in mind, if he’s still struggling with these same things mid-season, I think we’ll have our answer about who he is as a quarterback.

2nd and 7
            What other position groups have you most concerned heading into a game against Vic Fangio?

Leming: The offense as a whole is a big concern for me moving into Sunday’s game against the Broncos. Again, I’m not going to overreact to a single game but if the Bears offense struggled against a Mike Pettine-led defense, how can I expect that to get any better against a defensive minded head coach who knows this team’s offense like the back of his hand?

The main positional group I’m worried about is the offensive line. They struggled mightily against Green Bay. Now, they are going against a unit that knows what they’ll be doing and has Von Miller and Bradley Chubb? Good luck, Trubisky.

I think the big key for the Bears being able to counteract that will be establishing a consistent and productive run game. In Thursday night’s game, they had 12 true run calls and attempted to throw the ball 53 times. Needless to say, a balanced attack is a big question for me and probably the key to the Bears offense getting anything going against a top-end defense like the Broncos.

3rd and 3
            Broncos Country spent a large part of the summer studying up on Vic Fangio’s defense to see how things would change for Denver’s defense this season. I’ve been wondering how big the adjustment from him to Pagano has been for the Bears?

Leming: That’s actually been one of the most talked about topics within Bears circles, here.

What we’ve seen so far is about what I’ve expected from Chuck Pagano. Fangio was very consistent. He didn’t blitz a ton and you usually knew who would be rushing the passer and what the coverage was going to be for the most part. Under Pagano, they blitzed a lot more in Week 1 on top of simply sending a multitude of different pass rushers to the quarterback.

The other big thing I noticed that has been different so far has been Pagano’s willingness to rotate players. In the early going, we saw a lot of rotations coming on the defensive line, edge rushers and he even mixed things up with the defensive backs. Luckily for the Bears, they have a good amount of depth on the defensive line and one of those depth pieces Roy Robertson-Harris had a monster game because of it.

All in all, I’ve been told that a lot of the overall terminology is similar, as well as the overall philosophy. I think we are going to see subtle differences like I listed above but when all is said and done, I’m just expecting more man coverage from the defensive backs and more exotic fronts to get to the quarterback.

4th and 8
            What matchups look most favorable to the Bears heading into week 2?

Leming: On paper, I believe the Bears have a good advantage when talking about their defensive line against the Broncos’ offensive line. That’s not really a knock against the Broncos either. The Bears just have a lot of depth and top-end talent at the position and can usually take advantage of less mobile quarterbacks like Joe Flacco.

Offensively, the matchup I like for the Bears will be in the run game and the short/intermediate pass game. I expect to see a high level of commitment to the run game. I also expect to see tight end Trey Burton back. With the combination of those two things, I expect the Bears to attack short and quick, at least in attempt to get Trubisky into some sort of rhythm. The one thing I will say is that the offense is much different when Burton is on the field, even if he’s simply garnering attention.

All in all, I think that this is actually a pretty evenly matched game and despite me believing the Bears have the advantages in those areas, I wouldn’t call them massive

Matt Nagy and the Chicago Bears will surely run the ball more in Week 2. Can Josey Jewell and the Denver Broncos slow it down?
            Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Hadez
              Football Immortal
              • Nov 2004

I have always considered the first few games of a new head coach as to be more reflective of the last coach than current one. I think this is even more true since the last CBA was done.

Give the team a few weeks to see what the new staff can do.
              What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
              effort x talent = skill
              effort x skill = achievement
              How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Saddletramp
                Captain
                • Nov 2005

So say Nicki.... bout 1510 CDT

The Broncos announced they promoted OT Jake Rodgers from the practice squad to active roster, and waived C/G Corey Levin.

With Ja'Wuan James (knee) out and Elijah Wilkinson taking over at RT, Denver needed a backup on the edge. G/C Austin Schlottmann is their lone other reserve.
                Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

Working...
                X