Broncos ownership battle continues: Pat Bowlen’s oldest daughters challenge validity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam_Z
    Banned User
    • Dec 2004

Broncos ownership battle continues: Pat Bowlen’s oldest daughters challenge validity

Originally posted by The Athletic
    The battle over the future of the Denver Broncos may have only just begun.

Early Friday, Beth Bowlen Wallace and Amie Klemmer, Pat Bowlen’s oldest daughters, filed a petition in Arapahoe County Court challenging the validity of the Patrick D. Bowlen Trust on the grounds their father lacked capacity and was under undue influence when he signed his estate-planning documents in 2009.

Pat Bowlen, the late Broncos owner, died in June at age 75 following a lengthy battle with Alzheimer’s.

“On Aug. 30, 2019, the Arapahoe County District Court issued an important ruling finding that issues relating to Pat Bowlen’s capacity to revoke certain estate-planning documents and execute new estate-planning documents in 2009 as well as the validity of the 2009 documents must be decided by the Arapahoe County District Court and not the NFL,” Giovanni Ruscitti, co-counsel for Wallace and Klemmer, said in a statement.

“There is substantial and...
    You have to download the Athletic app to read the rest but its free.

Anyway at this point in time it seems that we as fans are more for the trust and I get it However perhaps are loyalty should lie with Pat Bowens family and not so much Joe Eliss.

Yes Bowen may have put Eliss in place as the trust but you never know how much influence Eliss had over an ill Pat Bowen back in 2009. Just reference his role with firing Mike Shanahan.

The reason I say this is because IMO the league will force a Sale of the team if a compromise with the Bowlens can’t be met.

They arent going to quit anytime soon, they will keep coming after Eliss and ultimately I do not think that Pat Bowen’s wishes were for his team be sold.

So perhaps a time table should be set in order for Joe Eliss to step down and the Bowlens take over and they can help Britney transition over to the rightful owner instead of Eliss.
  • Saddletramp
    Captain
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathl...f-trust/%3famp

You have to download the Athletic app to read the rest but its free.

Anyway at this point in time it seems that we as fans are more for the trust and I get it However perhaps are loyalty should lie with Pat Bowens family and not so much Joe Eliss.

Yes Bowen may have put Eliss in place as the trust but you never know how much influence Eliss had over an ill Pat Bowen back in 2009. Just reference his role with firing Mike Shanahan.

The reason I say this is because IMO the league will force a Sale of the team if a compromise with the Bowlens can’t be met.

They arent going to quit anytime soon, they will keep coming after Eliss and ultimately I do not think that Pat Bowen’s wishes were for his team be sold.

So perhaps a time table should be set in order for Joe Eliss to step down and the Bowlens take over and they can help Britney transition over to the rightful owner instead of Eliss.
    Sadly the lawsuit will be about the money and not about the team.....
    [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
    Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• Sam_Z
      Banned User
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Saddletramp View Post
      Sadly the lawsuit will be about the money and not about the team.....
      My only concern with this whole thing is the idea or chance of the league stepping in and forcing a sale.

A new owner could attempt to relocate the team and I’m sure nobody in Denver wants that however I have just been informed that Roger Goodell will not step in and force the sale at this point in time due to the annoyance of other NFL owners, who remain very loyal to Pat.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2008

My only concern with this whole thing is the idea or chance of the league stepping in and forcing a sale.

A new owner could attempt to relocate the team and I’m sure nobody in Denver wants that however I have just been informed that Roger Goodell will not step in and force the sale at this point in time due to the annoyance of other NFL owners, who remain very loyal to Pat.
        I think this is how it ultimately ends if this lawsuit does go ahead. Owners should be loyal to Pat Bowlen, and they showed they were by changing the NFL bylaws to allow a Trust to own a team for his situation. But NFL bylaws are very clear that ultimately the NFL is fully in command of who owns their franchises, and they can revoke ownership and force a sale at any point in time that they feel. Because Beth Bowlen Wallace has now filed suit against the Trust (and essentially the NFL because they approved the Trust) twice, I'm not sure they would ever allow her to own one of their franchises. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

This is a big swing here, and according to Mike Florio, in contesting the entire thing in court they could find themselves disqualified from any inheritance that was originally left to them. So if it is a money play, they're betting big, because they could end up losing the rights to all of it.

As for a new owner, I just don't think the Broncos would be relocated, it's a profitable market and it wouldn't make financial sense for the team to go elsewhere. Oakland, St.Louis and San Diego all had major stadium issues that the NFL worked for years to try and help fix. The Broncos are one of the more stable (financially and stadium wise) franchises in the NFL, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Mainly because I don't think the NFL owners would give them the needed votes to relocate.

Comment

• Joshua2585
          All-Pro
          • Jun 2011

Honestly, what I'm seeing from his older daughters, mixed with John B's history, adding in what my one of my co-workers said about the younger daughters Brittany and Annabelle (Brittany obviously being the one set up for taking over the team), I think we should sell the team.

Pat is a Legend, but I continue to see and hear examples of why none of these kids deserve to run this organization.

Sell the team!

Comment

• EddieMac
            Canuck Mod, eh!
            • Feb 2004

It’s sad they are trying to use their fathers disease against the team... this is in-winnable unless there many concrete examples of his incompetence back then, which probably would have surfaced at the time...
            sigpic

Comment

• Butler By'Note
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
              It’s sad they are trying to use their fathers disease against the team... this is in-winnable unless there many concrete examples of his incompetence back then, which probably would have surfaced at the time...
              There's also the inconvenient truth that this isn't some quick scam that a relative pulled in trying to get a fake will. In order for the trust to have been created the NFL owners had to change their by-laws. So you've got Pat Bowlen's lawyers, and the trustees, the Broncos personal in-house attorneys and outside council, who would have done this. Along with several NFL higher-ups and of course a bevy of NFL attorneys and then ultimately all of the NFL owners who signed off on this.

If what they're saying is true, the entire thing (the conspiracy) would have had to have been signed off on and furthered by dozens and dozens of people, most of whom are lawyers that have nothing to do with the Broncos nor the three trustees. And if this were truly something they were worried about, why didn't they start pursuing this back in 2009? Or 2016 when the Trust was first brought to light? Instead it was only in mid 2018 (when it became apparent Ms. Bowlen-Wallace wouldn't gain control of the team) that this became a problem.

Much like the first lawsuit, this one has a lot of holes in it. At least they have standing to bring the suit, but I think this one ultimately gets dismissed once it becomes apparent the number of independent people that had to sign off on this plan for it to become reality.

Comment

• EddieMac
                Canuck Mod, eh!
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                There's also the inconvenient truth that this isn't some quick scam that a relative pulled in trying to get a fake will. In order for the trust to have been created the NFL owners had to change their by-laws. So you've got Pat Bowlen's lawyers, and the trustees, the Broncos personal in-house attorneys and outside council, who would have done this. Along with several NFL higher-ups and of course a bevy of NFL attorneys and then ultimately all of the NFL owners who signed off on this.

If what they're saying is true, the entire thing (the conspiracy) would have had to have been signed off on and furthered by dozens and dozens of people, most of whom are lawyers that have nothing to do with the Broncos nor the three trustees. And if this were truly something they were worried about, why didn't they start pursuing this back in 2009? Or 2016 when the Trust was first brought to light? Instead it was only in mid 2018 (when it became apparent Ms. Bowlen-Wallace wouldn't gain control of the team) that this became a problem.

Much like the first lawsuit, this one has a lot of holes in it. At least they have standing to bring the suit, but I think this one ultimately gets dismissed once it becomes apparent the number of independent people that had to sign off on this plan for it to become reality.
                Completely agree.... but it’s so distasteful. Dogs fighting over ( very large ) crumbs....
                sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
                  Banned User
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Word around denver is that there is a strong chance that the league will step back and allow the Douglas County court system to make a ruling.

I’m not one to believe anything that woody Paige says but I do hold Sandy Clough in very high regard and concerning Mr. B’s health as far back as 2009, both have said that Pat Bowlen himself told them back at that time that he was having memory trouble.

Now both Clough and Paige as well as local media that consist of Orlando Franklin, Tyler Polumbus and Tom Nalen have All said that the trust/Joe Eliss dislikes them to great extents. Guess maybe they air too much personal laundry on air but anyway, any one of these guys could come forward against the trust/Eliss if called upon.

I do work somewhat close to them and I will tell you that Orlando told me just today that if not for Joe Eliss, he’d still be playing RT for the Denver Broncos. I know I really shouldn’t put that here but I think it’s worth a mention considering the situation.
                  Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-13-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• BroncosDivision
                    #27 | HOF | CLASS OF 2020
                    • Sep 2009

Relocate where?

Denver is the crown jewel of a rapidly growing Front Range Urban Corridor, home to 5 million people with 98% residing in Colorado – with no local competition. Broncos is a bit of a unicorn due to its geographic location and has a huge following in many neighboring states. In total, the market exceeds 13 million people. The parking lots around Mile High are also being rezoned and developed into a new high-density mixed-use neighborhood of downtown Denver. You could literally relocate to New York and the owner would be worse off.
                    Adopted Poster
                    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

• dizzolve
                      Orange Rush
                      • Mar 2009

Timing can't be coincidence ........ week 1. can it
                      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• simplistickhaos
                        Special Teams
                        • Nov 2010

The fact that this concern took 5 years for them to address and 10 years for them to bring to a legal issue will raise a lot of eyebrows in a court of law.

If this was truly a concern of the kids, why did it take so long for them to come forward and say they were worried about their fathers mental state at the time he put the trust into effect??

Honestly, none of this became a concern till Brittany was essentially named as the child that was the favorite to take over the team.
                        sigpic

Comment

• simplistickhaos
                          Special Teams
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                          Relocate where?

Denver is the crown jewel of a rapidly growing Front Range Urban Corridor, home to 5 million people with 98% residing in Colorado – with no local competition. Broncos is a bit of a unicorn due to its geographic location and has a huge following in many neighboring states. In total, the market exceeds 13 million people. The parking lots around Mile High are also being rezoned and developed into a new high-density mixed-use neighborhood of downtown Denver. You could literally relocate to New York and the owner would be worse off.
                          Couldn’t agree more. They aren’t going to move the team.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hadez
                            Football Immortal
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by simplistickhaos View Post
                            The fact that this concern took 5 years for them to address and 10 years for them to bring to a legal issue will raise a lot of eyebrows in a court of law.

If this was truly a concern of the kids, why did it take so long for them to come forward and say they were worried about their fathers mental state at the time he put the trust into effect??

Honestly, none of this became a concern till Brittany was essentially named as the child that was the favorite to take over the team.
                            Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                            Timing can't be coincidence ........ week 1. can it

Honestly I think his death is what is bringing this to the front. From what I have read the family came together more after the HoF ceremony where before I think some of them were just concerned with taking care of Pat as best they could in his final days.
                            What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                            effort x talent = skill
                            effort x skill = achievement
                            How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• Hadez
                              Football Immortal
                              • Nov 2004

I think the owners, like Jerry Jones, will be concerned about what if their team came under the same situation. Would Jerry want someone like Joe Ellis to be making the decisions or his son?

To me...I do realize Joe Ellis has ties to the Broncos but he also has ties to the NFL. I see him as a representative of the NFL in charge of the Broncos.

To me Pat Bowlen was the Broncos. His family deserves to either be given control of the team or to have a legal realistic timeline with goals in which they get control of the team.

If that realistic goal based timeline does not exists after all these years since 2009 than I would be ok with the courts ripping the Broncos away from the NFL and giving the Broncos to the Bowlen family whom I think deserves to be in charge of the Broncos.

I am very familiar with how large world wide corporations are run having worked for multiple corporations that everyone would recognize for 20 years. No one I know would want a corporation involved in family assets after a death of a senior member of their family. I know the NFL and their teams are a different beast but the team is still an asset owned by the family.

This trust which takes ownership away from the family needs to be temporary with CLEAN and REALISTIC LEGAL documentation as to how the Bowlens' get the Broncos in their control.

There is risk associated with this but the Bowlen family deserves this. This team is what it is today because of Pat. The NFL is what it is today in large part because of Pat. To deny the Bowlens is just wrong.
                              Last edited by Hadez; 09-14-2019, 04:36 PM.
                              What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                              effort x talent = skill
                              effort x skill = achievement
                              How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

Working...
                              X