Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bears Fan Here (I Come in Peace)

As the title states, I'm a Bears fan.

I'd like to know what the Bears should be worried about this coming Sunday in Denver, as well as where the Bears *should* be able to take advantage.

From what most Bears fans have been discussing on our own message board, our general idea of the Broncos is a team with a strong run-game, great pass-rush, and a struggling quarterback in Flacco. The consensus among Bears fans seems to be that playing in Denver is certainly not a walk in the park for any visiting teams, and Sunday should be no different.

Feel free to ask me anything about this Bears team; I'd be happy to dive into the details about our strengths/weaknesses, and how I think Sunday's game will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by BearsFan2019 View Post

I'd like to know what the Bears should be worried about this coming Sunday in Denver, as well as where the Bears *should* be able to take advantage.

From what most Bears fans have been discussing on our own message board, our general idea of the Broncos is a team with a strong run-game, great pass-rush, and a struggling quarterback in Flacco. The consensus among Bears fans seems to be that playing in Denver is certainly not a walk in the park for any visiting teams, and Sunday should be no different.

Feel free to ask me anything about this Bears team; I'd be happy to dive into the details about our strengths/weaknesses, and how I think Sunday's game will turn out.
    Based on this year and years past we have struggled against larger O-lines. I did watch the Bears 1st game and I recall seeing some struggles against the opposing DLine. Some things I'd pay attention to are:

- speed rush
    - all out blitz
    - direct push up the middle (the Raiders are larger in the guard and OC spots. Even with Denvers size we still got our OLBs and DEs into the backfield in a tick over 3 ish seconds one good portion of plays. Carry just got the ball out in 3 and under.

CHJ, Parks and Jackson I believe will look to pick your QB. If he has any chance at not being embarrassed he will need to NOT stare down his target. I saw him do that a fair amount in the 1st game.

I was VERY skeptical of Flacco when we got him but I will say he played better for us than our QBs the past few years. His issue is that he WILL hold on for too long on occasion. This allows for pressure to get to him.

So long as Chicago can weather the altitude I dont expect us to win. Itd be nice but I just dont feel we addressed enough of our needs properly this off season.

Welcome to the boards.

I am sure the bears have nothing to worry about....
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Based on this year and years past we have struggled against larger O-lines. I did watch the Bears 1st game and I recall seeing some struggles against the opposing DLine. Some things I'd pay attention to are:

- speed rush
    - all out blitz
    - direct push up the middle (the Raiders are larger in the guard and OC spots. Even with Denvers size we still got our OLBs and DEs into the backfield in a tick over 3 ish seconds one good portion of plays. Carry just got the ball out in 3 and under.

CHJ, Parks and Jackson I believe will look to pick your QB. If he has any chance at not being embarrassed he will need to NOT stare down his target. I saw him do that a fair amount in the 1st game.

I was VERY skeptical of Flacco when we got him but I will say he played better for us than our QBs the past few years. His issue is that he WILL hold on for too long on occasion. This allows for pressure to get to him.

So long as Chicago can weather the altitude I dont expect us to win. Itd be nice but I just dont feel we addressed enough of our needs properly this off season.

Welcome to the boards.
    I'm fully ready for the Broncos defensive line to give Trubisky and our offensive line a long afternoon, especially since you have Fangio working against us.

Welcome to the board!

Should be a good game with both teams trying to bounce back from week 1. I think the offense will target Sanders earlier. Sutton played strong especially yards after catch. The offense doesnít have a TE threat as Fant is developing. I think Lindsay/Freeman will be a challenge to stop.

The defense struggled to stop the quick passes by Carr. The Bears would be wise to target #26 Issac Yiadom. The Broncos should get Todd Davis back at ILB and he is a good against the run but struggles in coverage.

What should the Broncos lookout for?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Welcome to the board!

Should be a good game with both teams trying to bounce back from week 1. I think the offense will target Sanders earlier. Sutton played strong especially yards after catch. The offense doesn’t have a TE threat as Fant is developing. I think Lindsay/Freeman will be a challenge to stop.

The defense struggled to stop the quick passes by Carr. The Bears would be wise to target #26 Issac Yiadom. The Broncos should get Todd Davis back at ILB and he is a good against the run but struggles in coverage.

What should the Broncos lookout for?
    From the Bears side, I still don't know what David Montgomery is at runningback. He was our first pick in the draft (3rd rounder), so expectations are sky-high, but he didn't get much of an opportunity in week one. I'd say Tarik Cohen is the main runningback the Broncos should watch out for, even though we use Cohen as a wide receiver more often than not (zero carries in week one against the Packers). The only other offensive weapon we have is Allen Robinson, who looked like his 2015 self in week one against Green Bay.

As for the Bears' defense... the defense is intense. Akiem Hicks is a large man who runs like the wind blows. Then you've got Eddie Goldman who's extremely stout against the run.

At linebacker we have our 2018 first round pick Roquan Smith, who has some serious wheels and can get after the quarterback better than most. Next to Roquan is Danny Trevathan, who you're probably all familiar with. Next to him is Leonard Floyd, our first round pick in 2016, and if week one was any indication, it looks like Floyd has finally developed into a formidable pass rusher.

In the secondary is Kyler Fuller, who's as close to a shutdown corner as the NFL allows in 2019, and behind him is Eddie Jackson, who's forced 11 turnovers and scored three touchdowns in his first two NFL seasons.

If Flacco and company manage to get past all of those lunatics, then there's Khalil Mack. You guys probably know this from Mack's days as a Raider, but my God is that guy a wrecking ball. I've watched plenty of Bears defensive greats... Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher... Khalil Mack is right on par with those Hall of Famers. I've never seen a defensive player take over games like Mack does regularly.

Long-story short... I expect a low-scoring affair.
    Last edited by EddieMac; 09-13-2019 at 07:54 PM.

From the Bears side, I still don't know what David Montgomery is at runningback. He was our first pick in the draft (3rd rounder), so expectations are sky-high, but he didn't get much of an opportunity in week one. I'd say Tarik Cohen is the main runningback the Broncos should watch out for, even though we use Cohen as a wide receiver more often than not (zero carries in week one against the Packers). The only other offensive weapon we have is Allen Robinson, who looked like his 2015 self in week one against Green Bay.

As for the Bears' defense... the defense is intense. Akiem Hicks is a large man who runs like the wind blows. Then you've got Eddie Goldman who's extremely stout against the run.

At linebacker we have our 2018 first round pick Roquan Smith, who has some serious wheels and can get after the quarterback better than most. Next to Roquan is Danny Trevathan, who you're probably all familiar with. Next to him is Leonard Floyd, our first round pick in 2016, and if week one was any indication, it looks like Floyd has finally developed into a formidable pass rusher.

In the secondary is Kyler Fuller, who's as close to a shutdown corner as the NFL allows in 2019, and behind him is Eddie Jackson, who's forced 11 turnovers and scored three touchdowns in his first two NFL seasons.

If Flacco and company manage to get past all of those lunatics, then there's Khalil Mack. You guys probably know this from Mack's days as a Raider, but my God is that guy a wrecking ball. I've watched plenty of Bears defensive greats... Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher... Khalil Mack is right on par with those Hall of Famers. I've never seen a defensive player take over games like Mack does regularly.

Long-story short... I expect a low-scoring affair.
    I agree it will likely be a low scoring game. If it comes down to a FG, it looks like McManus is back in top form. He almost hit the 64 yard FG off the dirt last Monday night.

We’ve missed Danny Trevathan and haven’t come close to having an ILB like him since he went to the Bears.
    Last edited by EddieMac; 09-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.

If Flacco and company manage to get past all of those lunatics, then there's Khalil Mack. You guys probably know this from Mack's days as a Raider, but my God is that guy a wrecking ball. I've watched plenty of Bears defensive greats... Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher... Khalil Mack is right on par. I legitimately believe that he's part-Bear.
    What's your take on Nagy's RB philosophy? Does Nagy not trust Montgomery as a receiver or what, because he looked like Kareem Hunt against the Patriots on that pass down the seam. Not that it matters, because the 2 running back, pass/run gameplan with Cohen and Davis didn't work anyway. I think he needs to just go with Montgomery. I don't really consider Cohen a running back in that offense. I like to think of him as Nagy's Tyreke Hill. It's early, but I think you might've gotten the best RB in the draft.

Anyways, the Packers have a run first coach, a QB who really likes to push the ball downfield, and the Bears smashed Jones like a jelly bean. So...the Broncos are going to have to come out with a great gameplan to move the ball. Nagy knows our defense, and Fangio knows your offense. Should be a fun matchup to watch.
    Last edited by EddieMac; 09-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    What's your take on Nagy's RB philosophy? Does Nagy not trust Montgomery as a receiver or what, because he looked like Kareem Hunt against the Patriots on that pass down the seam. Not that it matters, because the 2 running back, pass/run gameplan with Cohen and Davis didn't work anyway. I think he needs to just go with Montgomery. I don't really consider Cohen a running back in that offense. I like to think of him as Nagy's Tyreke Hill. It's early, but I think you might've gotten the best RB in the draft.

Anyways, the Packers have a run first coach, a QB who really likes to push the ball downfield, and the Bears smashed Jones like a jelly bean. So...the Broncos are going to have to come out with a great gameplan to move the ball. Nagy knows our defense, and Fangio knows your offense. Should be a fun matchup to watch.
    My take on Nagy's RB philosophy (and this seems to be the general consensus among Bears fans) is that Mike Davis is useless, Tarik Cohen should only be used with dump off passes or the occasional run to the outside, and David Montgomery should be the main workhorse runningback on first and second downs. The Bears threw the ball 33 plays in a row against Green Bay week one... that's insane when you have Cohen and David Montgomery at runningback, in a game where the Bears were never down by more than a touchdown.

I don't think either offense will have much success on Sunday. I'd love to see Trubisky take the next step and show us something, but I really doubt that comes in Denver against this Broncos defense.

Sidenote... are the Broncos really starting an undrafted free agent at RT? Am I just being a homer, or is this something Khalil Mack and company should be salivating over?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I agree it will likely be a low scoring game. If it comes down to a FG, it looks like McManus is back in top form. He almost hit the 64 yard FG off the dirt last Monday night.

We’ve missed Danny Trevathan and haven’t come close to having an ILB like him since he went to the Bears.
    Trevathan has slowed down since his Broncos days when he was an absolute maniac out there. He's still very reliable, and not bad for your weakest link at linebacker, but you can tell that age is slowly but surely catching up to him.

If both defenses play like they are capable, this could be on the level of the 1984 Bears vs Raiders.

Violent defenders all the way around!

Ok Iím fibbing but it should be a pretty good defensive fight no doubt!

One thing in Denvers favor will be the stadium conditions Sunny, high of 89 degrees. In the upper altitude of Mile High, at that temp, there wont be much air per gulp for Chicagos defensive linemen to suck in. Expect that to hopefully slow the big boys down a bit.
    At least once in a while for Flacco to bomb one or two to Sanders. I hear he likes throwing in that thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    One thing in Denvers favor will be the stadium conditions Sunny, high of 89 degrees. In the upper altitude of Mile High, at that temp, there wont be much air per gulp for Chicagos defensive linemen to suck in. Expect that to hopefully slow the big boys down a bit.
    At least once in a while for Flacco to bomb one or two to Sanders. I hear he likes throwing in that thin air.
    Agreed. If the Bears defense has a weakness, it's lack of depth. If the Broncos can wear the Bears out with a few long drives in the first half, the Broncos should be able to see some scoring opportunities in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    Hey hey now, watch it!

Iím just hoping Emmanual doesnít slip on the grass this week.

The Bears, Broncos game is interesting in many ways.

Fangio, the ex-Chicago Bears Defensive Coordinator is
    now the head coach of the Denver Broncos. I'm sure he's
    going to take advantage of his familiarity with the Bears defense.

After Denver's poor showing in week 1, you know Fangio
    really wants to beat his old team and prove the loss to Oakland
    was a fluke.

Broncos 23 Bears 20