Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
    Beat me to the punch. You can challenge everything else, why not Roughing the Passer. Seems like the refs are getting this call wrong the most. Another rule change....
    Because you canít challenge anything when you have no timeouts remaining or inside the two minute warning.

Even if that was reviewable we couldnít have done it for those two reasons.

This is a big issue for me. My biggest issue is this. Bolles was called for a bunch of holding penalties. When I look at this play (early in the game) there is NO WAY Wolfe was not being held here. The difference is that Wolfe was being ignored by the refs

Wolfe threw his guy over to the side and attempted to run forward towards the QB. Instead the lineman who is totally off balance at this point continued to hold only Wolfe's jersey in plain sight.

The other question I have are these roughing the passer calls. To me I think the NFL is calling the wrong ones. The Raiders players on more than one occasion FELL onto Joe Flacco. Chubb on his "PENALTY" had both of his arms on either side of the QB to keep his weight off of the QB. The head of officiating last season stated that is what they wanted defenders to do. IF the NFL wants games to finish and end up with the right result they NEED to ensure that a bad call does not determine the outcome of the game. Ultimately that is what the Saints were really fighting for,

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    The bad calls went both ways. we didn't capitalise, the Bears did. Blaming the referees after that loss in my opinion comes across as pathetic, one sided, and honestly like you are a sore loser. We are a bad football team who lost the game because of our own poor performance, nothing else.
    The "tough guy", "just suck it up" routine doesn't hold water. In that worldview, teams should be blowing out all of their opponents to avoid the effects of zebra interference and that's just unrealistic. Close games happen and bad officiating is deciding them and screwing up the whole competition. There's no good excuse for that.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
    Beat me to the punch. You can challenge everything else, why not Roughing the Passer. Seems like the refs are getting this call wrong the most. Another rule change....
    They need to allow coaches to challenge any penalty, and questionable calls inside of 2 minutes should be under automatic review. They need to do more to get it right. The validity of games and of the NFL itself suffers when they don't.

I have a suspicion that the "corruption" we see played out at the hand of the officials may be because of NFL gambling.

I was taken aback by the fact that PFT on youtube is focusing on the over under when prognosticating the upcoming games.
    Then we see the Bears, who were favored to win by a point spread are essentially aided and abed-ed to win at the hands of "poor officiating" and curious calls around the league with no outrage outside of the players who are the pawns, well, that's too bad. were not going to like this as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    The "tough guy", "just suck it up" routine doesn't hold water. In that worldview, teams should be blowing out all of their opponents to avoid the effects of zebra interference and that's just unrealistic. Close games happen and bad officiating is deciding them and screwing up the whole competition. There's no good excuse for that.
    I think this works as well because to me you should be reviewing every roughing the passer call to validate that it wasn't egregious. I want a league official to explain to me what Chubb is supposed to do to avoid that call. If they review that call I wonder if it goes away.

The bias crying and whinging from a fan base whose team also had favourable calls go there way is pathetic. Also, the officiating as bad as it was both ways was at least consistent. No one can argue that we didn't get the calls our opposition did, because that is a lie, we just didn't make the most of them.

The bias crying and whinging from a fan base whose team also had favourable calls go there way is pathetic. Also, the officiating as bad as it was both ways was at least consistent. No one can argue that we didn't get the calls our opposition did, because that is a lie, we just didn't make the most of them.
    So bad officiating is okay in your book so long as it's even and consistent (which it wasn't)?

So bad officiating is okay in your book so long as it's even and consistent (which it wasn't)?

Good to know that the code of the bad referee is to at least apply equal consideration to both teams' misfortune when making incorrect calls. The system works!

Bad officiating and lackluster play by the Broncos played a role in the loss. If we narrow the game down to the bad call on Chubb and the clock at the last second, it was the officiating.

The problem with blaming the officials is that itís something a team cannot control. No matter how many rule changes are made itís a game that involves subjective judgements. The league could go to the extreme of reviewing every play.

The Bears made more plays. The Broncos offense had 27 first downs, 8 trips across the 50 yard line and 3 in the red zone. One of the Broncos field goals came after our drive was extended by the bogus roughing the passer on Goldman, #91 of the Bears (11 minutes left in the 4th quarter). The Broncos ultimately got the lead because they got a FG on that drive, followed by the late TD. The Broncos would not have been in a position to win without a bad call in their favor.

Iím not expecting the Broncos to blowout teams to remove the officiating, but one TD in three red zone trips? One TD, an INT and a FG - the offense needs to make more plays to win games.

6 holding calls on Bolles/Leary, 2 on Wolfe and 1 on Parks - and we expect to win games? Come on now.

Of course not, that clearly wasn't the point being made. My point was, that in a situation where you have fans blaming the referees for a loss, in a game where we had bad calls go in our favour also, it makes no sense to place blame anywhere other than on the players on the field. Especially when we weren't able to capitalise on receiving favourable calls, then, had an opportunity in the form of a 4th and 15 after that, and still couldn't get the job done. You can tell people to "ditch the tough guy act", and to drop the "suck it up mentality", but I guarantee no coach went into any meeting, film session, or post game contact with players and blamed the referees, especially after giving up a 4th and 15 situation. Worry about what you can control, and control it, the defense and offense failed to do that.

So while I do understand your point I do need to call out that holding was called a TON against us but was not called with any frequency or in so.e cases at all against CHI.

Also it is fair to say that a call in the last 30 seconds or less of a game is far more impactful on the games outcome then one made with a ton of football left to play.

Ultimately the league needs to get their act together when it comes to officiating. Egregious and obvious bad calls MUST be corrected in game. Period

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    So while I do understand your point I do need to call out that holding was called a TON against us but was not called with any frequency or in so.e cases at all against CHI.

Also it is fair to say that a call in the last 30 seconds or less of a game is far more impactful on the games outcome then one made with a ton of football left to play.

Ultimately the league needs to get their act together when it comes to officiating. Egregious and obvious bad calls MUST be corrected in game. Period
    The league didnít draft Bolles or play Leary, a guy coming off a bad injury. Leary played poorly back to back games. Bolles is a terrible LT and has no business starting. Donít blame the imbalance of calls on the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post

Honestly, the Bolles penalties were blatent, obvious, and beyond stupid, he should have had a few more honestly. When we drafted the guy my first thought after hearing him talk was, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, putting it nicely. His play from day 1 has honestly reflected this, and he appears to be incapable of learning. I can tolerate a little ticky tack call here and there, but he is tackling guys, wrapping them up, and taking them to the ground, the guy has no idea, he deserved the calls against him.

The call on Chubb hurt, but let's not act like act like Floyd for the Bears didn't get a horrible call as well, just a little before that. The refs hurt us, but this coaching staff gets the majority of the blame in my book. With 9 seconds left, I can't understand how we play any other defense but man coverage with deep safeties. Robinson is their #1 WR and he was passed off and left open. That's inexcusable. The refs had nothing to do with that. Not mention rushing 4 people, which hadn't worked all game and allowing the QB to step up into the pocket.