Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: NFL is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    If Chris Harris avoids touching the receiver down when the reciever dove forward, we are 1-1. I agree that the field goal should not of been allowed, but Chris Harris had a chance to make a heady play there and didn't.
    I doubt it matters in that situation. An offensive player can be deemed “giving himself up” and he’s down without being touched. The crew was inexperienced so maybe they fit blow it dead or Maybe they take half a second longer to blow the whistle, but they would’ve given that second to Chicago regardless because there was no delay between him being down and Chicago’s timeout and they reviewed it to see if they had time on the clock when he was down which isn’t something that can be reviewed by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    We came up short because the zebras decided we did by granting the timeout and a phantom second on the clock.
    So you forgive the giving up of a 4th and 15 ? Place no blame on the players ? It's all the referees ? If we can stop a 4th and 15 play, you don't even allow the referees to interject in the game, fans will be fans I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I doubt it matters in that situation. An offensive player can be deemed “giving himself up” and he’s down without being touched. The crew was inexperienced so maybe they fit blow it dead or Maybe they take half a second longer to blow the whistle, but they would’ve given that second to Chicago regardless because there was no delay between him being down and Chicago’s timeout and they reviewed it to see if they had time on the clock when he was down which isn’t something that can be reviewed by the way.
    There is an article with a picture of Harris touching the WR down with the game clock at 00:01. It wasn’t the officials clock but they are supposed to be synchronized. Nagy had supposedly told the officials he wanted a timeout if there was any time left when the play was called dead. This was from the Chicago Sun Times so obviously their story would tilt for the Bears. However, the photo showed CHJ touching down the WR with time left. The game is in the books now.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I’m pretty sure only a QB can give himself up (thanks to Peyton Manning) anyone else has to be touched down. Also incidental contact by the receiver doesn’t count either.

Its all water under the bridge now but had Harris avoided touching him, it may have had a different outcome with a more experienced officiating crew.

However we will not even be talking about any of this if Garrett Bolles would not be nullifying any significant yardage down the field.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    So you forgive the giving up of a 4th and 15 ? Place no blame on the players ? It's all the referees ? If we can stop a 4th and 15 play, you don't even allow the referees to interject in the game, fans will be fans I guess.
    I didn't say or write that it was all on the zebras, but they were certainly a factor.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I’m pretty sure only a QB can give himself up (thanks to Peyton Manning) anyone else has to be touched down. Also incidental contact by the receiver doesn’t count either.

Its all water under the bridge now but had Harris avoided touching him, it may have had a different outcome with a more experienced officiating crew.

However we will not even be talking about any of this if Garrett Bolles would not be nullifying any significant yardage down the field.
    RBs usually do it when they’re trying to not score to run time out at the end of games. According to the rule book they’re supposed to slide like QBs but I’ve only ever seen non QBs just fall to the ground and the refs blow it dead. I do agree Harris should’ve just stood over him though, I just think the refs still would’ve gave them the second

Elway said he received a letter from the NFL saying the roughing the passer on Chubb was dead wrong. Saw a tweet on FB.

We came up short because the zebras decided we did by granting the timeout and a phantom second on the clock.
    I didn't say or write that it was all on the zebras, but they were certainly a factor.
    Sure sounds like it.

This thread continues to go in a different direction than I intended. It wasn’t about blaming the refs for our loss.

I absolutely 100% blame the offense that couldn’t muster more than 3 points for 45 minutes and the defense that couldn’t hold Mitch Trubisky for 31 seconds or muster a sack for the first two games.

The point of the thread was that I’m sick and tired of these new rules where defenders are flagged every time they make a simple tackle. And as I stated in my initial post I’m sick of it in college as well. It happened from a call on us but my point was I’m sick and tired of it being apart of the game now period.

Some of the most legendary hits in football history would be a 15 yard penalty today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Sure sounds like it.
    Back off. Ultimately at the end, yes, but there are always many factors, like the Ravens playoff game in '12, jobbed by the refs and everything else. Why don't you go back and read everything I wrote and how this started.

Back off. Ultimately at the end, yes, but there are always many factors, like the Ravens playoff game in '12, jobbed by the refs and everything else. Why don't you go back and read everything I wrote and how this started.
    I can post freely here as long as it’s within the Code of Conduct. I’ve read all the posts and you made a definitive statement the Broncos came up short because of the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I can post freely here as long as it’s within the Code of Conduct. I’ve read all the posts and you made a definitive statement the Broncos came up short because of the officials.
    That's not the same as blaming the entire loss on them. That was just the coup de grace.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    This thread continues to go in a different direction than I intended. It wasn’t about blaming the refs for our loss.

I absolutely 100% blame the offense that couldn’t muster more than 3 points for 45 minutes and the defense that couldn’t hold Mitch Trubisky for 31 seconds or muster a sack for the first two games.

The point of the thread was that I’m sick and tired of these new rules where defenders are flagged every time they make a simple tackle. And as I stated in my initial post I’m sick of it in college as well. It happened from a call on us but my point was I’m sick and tired of it being apart of the game now period.

Some of the most legendary hits in football history would be a 15 yard penalty today.
    Absolutely agree. The constant rule changes are making it so tackling is impossible. I really wonder if ol Roger Dodger is trying to create flag football.

I think spearing is bad. Clothesline tackles are bad. Horse collar tackles are bad. Unfortunately, the NFL is making it impossible for defenders. This whole “full body weight” thing is stupid. Trying to make it so a helmet never touches anyone is stupid.

The rules have been out of hand for a while. Heck, there was a 3 year stretch when nobody knew what a catch was. I think Roger is meddling too much and trying too hard to avoid any sort of blow back from the NFLPA.

Before long, practicing will be illegal, tackling will be illegal (it’s pretty close now) and we’ll be watching 2 hand touch.

That's not the same as blaming the entire loss on them. That was just the coup de grace.
    It wasn’t a phantom second. Chris Harris Jr. made contact with Robinson on the way to the ground. Nagy had already told the officials he was calling timeout at the end of the play and he called it concurrently. Al Riveron confirmed the officials made the correct call.

The video clearly shows there was 00:01 on the clock:

https://youtu.be/-qY-9DhhxcE

https://www.footballzebras.com/2019/...ment-on-tries/

Rule 7-2-1(d)(2)

Status of the game clock

As we saw the final sequence of the Bears-Broncos game, we wondered if Chicago was able to call a timeout prior to the game clock expiring. Although the game clock expired, Adrian Hill and his crew got together and added one second to the clock, allowing Chicago to kick a game winning field goal. Riveron explained that Bears receiver Allen Robinson caught a pass, and was touched down with one second remaining on the clock, and concurrently, a timeout was called from the Chicago sideline. Since the play ended with time still on the clock, Riveron confirmed the timeout was correctly granted to Chicago on the play.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post

I agree with you DB, although I detest when refs impact a game for the wrong reason. But at some point, good teams find ways to win. They do not dwell on bad calls, or bad bounces. They shove it in their "look at this later" file, and then proceed to make plays, stop plays from happening, and do whatever it takes to win, on that day. because when you throw out all the "shouldn't haves" you still can find a way to win. I say this often, but though I can not stand The Pats, they find ways to win, over and over and over. It is not a fluke, or lucky....albeit, some things they've done should be challenged. But that Atlanta comeback, which still turns my stomach more so because of what Atlanta didn't do, is proof that The Pats do whatever they need to do. Make plays. Score TDs, manage the clock, successfully execute 2 pointers, win in OT. Not every team could have made that comeback....in fact, few.

But as for the penalties...it ruins games. When you see a play like the sack in the Tennessee/Jags game, which was executed PERFECTLY, and it's called....then I seriously take issue. What does the defender have to do? Relearn how to play the game??When terrible calls impact games, it is too much for me. Call less, not more. A tiny hold is not a 10 yard penalty. A slight contact with a receiver is not worthy of a long PI, which could be 50-60 yards, and a first down. A slight infraction when it's 3rd and 30, should not be an automatic first down. Stay out of the game refs, just keep the rules intact without pushing the concept. As they stated on TNF, offensive holding was up by 2/3rds this year. And though it's early, weren't there enough holds last year??!!

And you are so right, forget the past when it comes to hard hitting football. I almost think that if you make a really hard but fair hit, it will be penalized. Yes, safety first, but lets not forget how physical this game is. Don't play this or some other sports if you are worried about physicality.

I still support the ole saying, good refs are hardly noticed in a game.
    Last edited by CanDB; 09-21-2019 at 11:06 AM.