Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    He was hospitalized, in October of 2016. That followed with his issues when he was Texans HC, is a legitimate concern. Being a HC was too much time and stress on him, being an OC or an offensive advisor is different, still a commitment, it's much less than that of a HC. Kubiak stayed on as an advisor, and was going to be our OC until the 11th hour Munchak hire. So no I don't think his health issues were a "nice way" to say he doesn't want to work for Elway.

VJ failed for a variety of reasons, and yes not all of them were VJs fault. Elway and Kubiak came up with the plan of succession for Kubes departure (VJ came with a seal of approval from Kubiak) one of which was partnering VJ with Mike McCoy, who as it turns out was planning to have one foot out the door when he got here. That said, VJ had his own serious issues, from in game management, to lack of adjustments. Covering TEs is major issue in his Arizona led defense for example.

As for who would want to coach here, well for starters, let's give Fangio and Co more than 2 weeks before we decide their fate. Second, Elway chose Fangio specifically because he was looking for a coach who was dominant in their specific area of expertise. He chose Fangio over Munchak (who has had experience as a HC) so I will say that's two guys with "half a brain" who are of the highest caliber in their position fields.

Elway made a bad decision in hiring Vance, that's on him. Him compounded that issue with a disastrous 2017 draft. He missed big, and I mean real big. That said, he learned from those mistakes, and changed his philosophy the subsequent drafts. Elway is not infallible, and definitely made his share of mistakes, but let's not burn the house down two weeks into a new HC.
    With the Fangio hire, Elway went with an old school run the ball and defense approach. This is in contrast to almost all the other coaching hires this offseason which were smart, innovative, offensive coaches. Do you think the game has passed Elway by?

Elway has built a defense based on rushing the passer, which is best utilized when you have the lead. But we dont have an offense built to gain a lead. We have a run the ball game management offense. These units are not complimentary to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStampede View Post
    With the Fangio hire, Elway went with an old school run the ball and defense approach. This is in contrast to almost all the other coaching hires this offseason which were smart, innovative, offensive coaches. Do you think the game has passed Elway by?
    No not really. Sure everyone would like the next Sean McVay, but truly who was out there this year? Zac Taylor who was a QB coach? Matt LaFleur who led the Titans to the 25th ranked offense that year? The plan was to partner Kubiak with Fangio. That would have given us long term and seasoned stability. Unfortunately that didn't work out. At the end of the day once it gets to the playoffs, it's a top tier defense and a strong running game that will carry you.

No not really. Sure everyone would like the next Sean McVay, but truly who was out there this year? Zac Taylor who was a QB coach? Matt LaFleur who led the Titans to the 25th ranked offense that year? The plan was to partner Kubiak with Fangio. That would have given us long term and seasoned stability. Unfortunately that didn't work out. At the end of the day once it gets to the playoffs, it's a top tier defense and a strong running game that will carry you.
    A good QB is usually helpful too...

Listen if the play calling from the start of the game will be Running Down the Throats of the Chicago Bears Defense Denver wins however just like last week Denver did not go to that formula until the 3rd Q and by that time the play calling went back to 3 straight passes leading to the goal line Int. Just run it with Freeman that is all that you have to do however the OC thinks that he has Jimmy G still as his QB.

A good QB is usually helpful too...
    The right QB in the right system is what you need. Yes, having a Tom Brady will lead you to success, but you can put a Goff or Foles in the right system and be successful.

The right QB in the right system is what you need. Yes, having a Tom Brady will lead you to success, but you can put a Goff or Foles in the right system and be successful.
    Yes. Which is why teams are hiring innovative, smart, offensive coaches. Not 40 year DC's who have no head coaching experience and wear sweatshirts in blazing heat (c'mon, that's gotta be uncomfortable).

Yes. Which is why teams are hiring innovative, smart, offensive coaches. Not 40 year DC's who have no head coaching experience and wear sweatshirts in blazing heat (c'mon, that's gotta be uncomfortable).
    The trend is matching a young HC with a young QB, and let them grow together. The problem is that there is not a McVay in every coaching class. Then you have to force a hire. Taylor was a QB coach with no playcalling experience or how about LaFleur who led the Titans to the 25th ranked offense. Look at Nagy they hired him and gave up the capital for Mitch, and have an elite defense. All that led to them needing a GW field goal as time expired to win. There are pros and cons to every decision, I don't think forcing a young offensive guy just because that's the trend is the way to go.

Lambeau is one of the hardest places to win on the road. This is not a good team. Thereís always a puncherís chance, but ya, Iím expecting a loss.

The team was indeed better than their week 1 performance against the raiders.
    Lack of a pass rush is concerning.

We probably win this game if not for Bolles sabotaging drives.

Maybe we can do like the patriots did and collude with another contracted players agent (in this case a LT) and get him to get released from his team so we can sign him right away.....

Seriously, at this point have a player carry out a heavy bag and place him where Bolles would be. Bolles should not be on t he field and I think this is the BIGGEST issue we have right now
    AMPIPE

Yeah, I was looking at our schedule trying to find some wins. I think the Raiders and Bears are two bad teams that we should have beaten. We got trounced by the Raiders and our defense couldn't stop an anemic Bears offense.

I only see two winnable games on our schedule at this point: Jags (w/o Foles) and possibly the Bills, but even they are looking improved thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    I donít think they can win in Green Bay, but maybe they can be a 7 win team.

I donít think Elway has it in him to start the fire sale, even if he thinks itís another non-playoff season.

They really should just start racing the Dolphins to the cellar.
    7 wins!! Wow if they pull that off, I would be happy given where the team is this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at our schedule trying to find some wins. I think the Raiders and Bears are two bad teams that we should have beaten. We got trounced by the Raiders and our defense couldn't stop an anemic Bears offense.

I only see two winnable games on our schedule at this point: Jags (w/o Foles) and possibly the Bills, but even they are looking improved thus far.
    Agreed, but Jacksonville is no gimme.

Our schedule looks pretty tough for a team that started 0-2. The players were still competing yesterday, but as the losses mount, at certain point they may mail it in.

Vance Joseph was a bad hire, and that's on Elway. Unfortunately the guy Elway had picked to run the franchise before VJ had to step away for health reasons. The roster may not have the most talent in the NFL, but it definitely has talent. Let's give the team more than 2 games, while missing multiple starters, to judge whether it's not as talented as beloved.
    Even if Davis and Callahan get back, how ready are they to compete? It will take awhile. The players we have starting now are simply the players we'll be working with all season.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I can see us at 2-8 around the week 10 mark, well on our way to a top 5 pick. At that point, Lock better get the last 6 games for evaluation and development. We need to know whether or not QB is still a huge need going into the draft.
    I truly, truly do not think Elway is interested in playing Lock one single bit this year. Looking at how he re-did Flacco's contract makes me think that he's somehow deluded himself into thinking Flacco is the missing piece for this organization. Lock's sprained thumb does not take 10 weeks to heal, no one can ever convince me of that. What happened is that this FO thinks so little of him that they would have rather had a waiver wire signing take his place because they believe they were more ready than Lock to help this team, and IR'ed Lock as a result. Decisions like this are part of the problem. Does this franchise even have a long term plan at QB?
    Superbowl 50 Champions!