Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I truly, truly do not think Elway is interested in playing Lock one single bit this year. Looking at how he re-did Flacco's contract makes me think that he's somehow deluded himself into thinking Flacco is the missing piece for this organization. Lock's sprained thumb does not take 10 weeks to heal, no one can ever convince me of that. What happened is that this FO thinks so little of him that they would have rather had a waiver wire signing take his place because they believe they were more ready than Lock to help this team, and IR'ed Lock as a result. Decisions like this are part of the problem. Does this franchise even have a long term plan at QB?
    Certainly feels like he was trying to do the Manning/Osweiler situation again. Flacco plays for the next 4-5 years and then Lock takes over.

He never thought about what to do in the likely event the team is terrible this year....

Remember, thereís no plan b

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Certainly feels like he was trying to do the Manning/Osweiler situation again. Flacco plays for the next 4-5 years and then Lock takes over.

He never thought about what to do in the likely event the team is terrible this year....

Remember, there’s no plan b
    LOL why do you have to remind me of no plan b lol

Even if Davis and Callahan get back, how ready are they to compete? It will take awhile. The players we have starting now are simply the players we'll be working with all season.
    Despite his limitations Davis as he is right now will be a big upgrade. It's less about Davis, and more about how bad the other LBs are. Callahan will also be a big upgrade over what Yiadom has given. It's not some magic pill that will make us an elite team or anything, but those two guys replacing what's been here, could have been the difference between 0-2 and 2-0.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Despite his limitations Davis as he is right now will be a big upgrade. It's less about Davis, and more about how bad the other LBs are. Callahan will also be a big upgrade over what Yiadom has given. It's not some magic pill that will make us an elite team or anything, but those two guys replacing what's been here, could have been the difference between 0-2 and 2-0.
    I wouldn't count on Davis being back being much of a difference at this point. When asked this week if Davis was going to be taking snaps, the response Fangio said that even if he came back this week he would be taking a significantly reduced snap count. Todd Davis also has been injured since week 1 of the preseason. That's a long time to go without any meaningful snaps.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I truly, truly do not think Elway is interested in playing Lock one single bit this year. Looking at how he re-did Flacco's contract makes me think that he's somehow deluded himself into thinking Flacco is the missing piece for this organization. Lock's sprained thumb does not take 10 weeks to heal, no one can ever convince me of that. What happened is that this FO thinks so little of him that they would have rather had a waiver wire signing take his place because they believe they were more ready than Lock to help this team, and IR'ed Lock as a result. Decisions like this are part of the problem. Does this franchise even have a long term plan at QB?
    I would never rush an injury, especially with a young QB. I don't know the exact details of his injury, so I can't only speculate. I'd rather him sit an extra 4 weeks, and get right then never get fully healed. See Andrew Luck and his injury history. Where Lock is right now as a QB, his inexperience and OL would get him killed. We don't need a David Carr situation.

I wouldn't count on Davis being back being much of a difference at this point. When asked this week if Davis was going to be taking snaps, the response Fangio said that even if he came back this week he would be taking a significantly reduced snap count. Todd Davis also has been injured since week 1 of the preseason. That's a long time to go without any meaningful snaps.
    It's less to do with how Davis is, and how bad Nelson and Jewell have been. They will ease players back in, but the LB play has been awful so it really can't get worse.

I would never rush an injury, especially with a young QB. I don't know the exact details of his injury, so I can't only speculate. I'd rather him sit an extra 4 weeks, and get right then never get fully healed. See Andrew Luck and his injury history. Where Lock is right now as a QB, his inexperience and OL would get him killed. We don't need a David Carr situation.
    When are we going to get a perfect O-line? It hasn't happened in 5 seasons, it probably isn't going to happen in another one. He looked fine in his last pre-season game with an even worse O-line, and learned to get the ball out faster while moving up in the pocket to avoid edge rushers. As far as his injury goes, Lock himself said he didn't think it was a big deal, and even after the injury he was able to throw without difficulty for huge completions. 10 weeks without practice and team meetings hurts his overall development more than getting back onto the the practice field for a sore thumb.

I don't think he needs a perfect team to start to learn and grow. If anything, cutting Flacco to get cap space to get a strong LT and guard would be worth it to see if Lock is the guy.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 09-16-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

It's less to do with how Davis is, and how bad Nelson and Jewell have been. They will ease players back in, but the LB play has been awful so it really can't get worse.
    I will agree on that. ILB is a huge need right now.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

It's a perpetual need.

When are we going to get a perfect O-line? It hasn't happened in 5 seasons, it probably isn't going to happen in another one. He looked fine in his last pre-season game with an even worse O-line, and learned to get the ball out faster while moving up in the pocket to avoid edge rushers. I don't think he needs a perfect team to start to learn and grow. If anything, cutting Flacco to get cap space to get a strong LT and guard would be worth it to see if Lock is the guy.
    Disagree. His last preseason game he got hurt with that OL. Right now, Lock needs to work his basic building blocks and getting familiar with the offense. Despite what you think of Flacco, he's checked out of bad plays, and made quick and concise decisions. Lock hasn't shown to me he can do that consistently. Let Flacco take the beating, and have Munchak coach up the OL, and let guys like Leary get back into shape before you throw the Rookie in. Easiest way to ruin a young QB is a bad OL that can't give him time to process, so he just takes a beating. There is very little out there in terms of OL, even if we cut Flacco. Unless you want to spend big money and picks on the oft injured Trent Williams who also hasn't played in nearly a year. If Flacco and the team are as bad as you claim, wait until we are out of playoff contention, and then put the rookie in the last 6 or so weeks. Your bad enough you'll be picking high to either get a QB or if he has it, you can take a top tier OL.

I'm am a little baffled as to why we haven't just put Hollins in, and let him learn on the job. How much worse can he be.

Disagree. His last preseason game he got hurt with that OL. Right now, Lock needs to work his basic building blocks and getting familiar with the offense. Despite what you think of Flacco, he's checked out of bad plays, and made quick and concise decisions. Lock hasn't shown to me he can do that consistently. Let Flacco take the beating, and have Munchak coach up the OL, and let guys like Leary get back into shape before you throw the Rookie in. Easiest way to ruin a young QB is a bad OL that can't give him time to process, so he just takes a beating. There is very little out there in terms of OL, even if we cut Flacco. Unless you want to spend big money and picks on the oft injured Trent Williams who also hasn't played in nearly a year. If Flacco and the team are as bad as you claim, wait until we are out of playoff contention, and then put the rookie in the last 6 or so weeks. Your bad enough you'll be picking high to either get a QB or if he has it, you can take a top tier OL.
    My thoughts are not on this year but next off-season. I don't have anything against Flacco other than the fact that this team is spending large cap space on a QB when they aren't playoff bound. There's no reason to keep Flacco if our team is a 5-11 roster. Better to trade in the off-season and offload him then. I also think the way Lock grew each pre-season game that he isn't as far behind Flacco as others say.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncosGeordie View Post
    Where do we go from here? We are clearly the worst team in the West. Realistically we win 5 games max.
    This team might be worse than in 2010. Looks like it could be 2-14 to me. On the bright side...that would be a great scenario for Drew Lock to start out in.
    Last edited by Hph5; 09-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.

My thoughts are not on this year but next off-season. I don't have anything against Flacco other than the fact that this team is spending large cap space on a QB when they aren't playoff bound. There's no reason to keep Flacco if our team is a 5-11 roster. Better to trade in the off-season and offload him then. I also think the way Lock grew each pre-season game that he isn't as far behind Flacco as others say.
    I think the Lock injury really muddied up the waters for us. I don't know the extent of his injury, and even if I did I'm not a doctor. You are right though, at some point the keys will need to be handed over, I'm just not willing to rush it with the injury and the how the team is still so new to the system. I do think that Scangarello's system would look different with Lock's mobility.

How different would this team look right now with Devin Bush at ILB instead of Fant giving up sacks on the outside? O.o