Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Going For The Win (2 Pointer)?

So gang, did you like the gutsy 2 point call, to go for the win?

Last year when other coaches went for the 2 pointer win, I seem to remember lots of criticism, especially when it did not work. My gut tells me a lot of fans love it, WHEN it works.

I think Fangio is trying to send a message. And I am ok with that type of call, because a tie only gives you about a 50% chance to win, typically that would be resolved in OT, but...they scored the winning FG prior to. For me, if you believe in your play design, and your ability to produce, you go for it, because a single extra point does not win you the game. Now, if your team has been faltering in pressure situations, the tie is not a foolish idea. Live another set of downs or more.

But the real question is not whether you liked the outcome of it yesterday, but were you on board when we went for it....not knowing the outcome?

Then again, it was a strange ending....2 point conversion, which is penalized, which turns into a missed extra point, which was penalized, to return the ball to the 1 yard line, which prompted the 2 point attempt, again. Strange brew!!

I loved the call, showed guts....just too bad we had to fight the refs on top of it all

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

It sure is easier to love the call when it works. That said, I did like the aggressive “go for the win” approach.

Thought it was crazy , but I liked the going for the throat mentality. All we needed was our big D players to finish it and they failed .

I liked it and endorsed it. Flacco was in a rythm, and they were gassed. I liked the mentality, and wouldn't have second guessed it had it failed. The belief in his offense and veteran QB, and it paid off. I'm about it.

I liked it. It’s not an exaggeration to say that call could have been a turning point for the season. The offense had finally put together some drives and momentum. A win would do wonders for the team psyche. It wasn’t to be for other reasons, but I liked the call in the moment.

I loved it. I think it also sent a message to the defense that said hey I don’t think you can hold them in OT so we’re going for it now. Unfortunately they couldn’t hold them for 31 seconds at the end of the 4th

Yah....my take is almost always this:

If the game is near end, and you feel confident, go for it. Because you are usually at the whim of a coin toss, and at best you're looking at a 50/50 outcome with the extra point kick. The problem with this game, The Bears weren't supposed to score prior to the final whistle.

If a person only likes it when it works...….well now.

I strongly objected to the original decision to go for 2, and I still believe that it was a mistake by Fangio. At home in Denver, when you CLEARLY had the entire Bears' defense gassed due to the altitude, you play for overtime rather than putting the whole game on the line in one play. Combine that with the fact that the team obviously wasn't ready to attempt the 2-point play (resulting in the Delay of Game penalty), and you have a call bordering on negligent. That Delay penalty almost cost the Broncos the game when McManus missed the longer PAT kick (only saved by the offsides call on the Bears). Then going for it again was still the wrong call, even though the play worked out--it was too much to risk on one play and the Bears' defense would not have held up in OT, in my opinion. Also, it's arguable that the Broncos' going for 2 instead of taking the tie ultimately resulted in the loss because the Bears were desperate and going for broke in that last 31 seconds to try to win the game; they may have been more conservative or even just run out the clock and gone to OT if the game were tied instead of the Broncos being up by 1.

I know this sounds like hindsight armchair quarterbacking but I swear that I was making these same arguments to my wife even as the game unfolded. I thought it was the wrong call at the time and I stand by that now.

If going for the win there is a sign of the mentality we are trying to instill, then I think we are going to be in good shape. It may take a couple years to get some new guys in certain positions, but I'm ready for a new direction. I loved the call, that was a small sign of a new direction. Tough outcome, but wow what a great moment....we (or at least I) needed that.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    I strongly objected to the original decision to go for 2, and I still believe that it was a mistake by Fangio. At home in Denver, when you CLEARLY had the entire Bears' defense gassed due to the altitude, you play for overtime rather than putting the whole game on the line in one play. Combine that with the fact that the team obviously wasn't ready to attempt the 2-point play (resulting in the Delay of Game penalty), and you have a call bordering on negligent. That Delay penalty almost cost the Broncos the game when McManus missed the longer PAT kick (only saved by the offsides call on the Bears). Then going for it again was still the wrong call, even though the play worked out--it was too much to risk on one play and the Bears' defense would not have held up in OT, in my opinion. Also, it's arguable that the Broncos' going for 2 instead of taking the tie ultimately resulted in the loss because the Bears were desperate and going for broke in that last 31 seconds to try to win the game; they may have been more conservative or even just run out the clock and gone to OT if the game were tied instead of the Broncos being up by 1.

I know this sounds like hindsight armchair quarterbacking but I swear that I was making these same arguments to my wife even as the game unfolded. I thought it was the wrong call at the time and I stand by that now.
    I like going for the 2, but as mentioned, if you are prepared. And the two points you make are very relevant to this particular situation. Delay of game speaks out that you may not be ready. And yes, and I thought about this a bit, The Bears probably go conservative if the game is tied. After all, if you are them, what else can you do but move the ball downfield, even if at risk. There's no risk when you are down to your last plays, behind in the score. This factor is often not a factor, if there is no time or almost no time left.

Know what bothered me more was seeing McManus miss an extra point. That was a choke, sorry Goocher. All we needed was a PAT to tie the game to give us a chance ........ and miss? McManus?

Our first 2pt attempt I was mixed of course. But we had all the momentum so.... I was down. Usually at home you go for the tie right? After the penalty the PAT was really the only choice. But after he missed the kick I was convinced 2pt conversion is the way to go for sure now
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

It's a great idea when it works, and a horrible idea when it doesn't.

No, I didn't mind it. Especially after watching McManus choke the xp.

I appreciate the belief in the team to score and then defend the lead late. It's better than having a coach who fears his squad can't do either when it's crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post

What we also CLEARLY had yesterday was an undisciplined OL prone to drive-killing errors. The final TD drive was practically miraculous and I think Fangio just wanted to get the game overwith and escape with the win, not try to repeat such a drive and risk Bolles or Leary screwing it up. From that perspective, I think he made the right call.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016