Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I didn’t like the call. The offense struggled to make plays in the red zone in back to back games. The odds of making the 2 pt conversion with our offense were low based on the way they’ve played.

If you take the extra point to tie the game, I believe Nagy would have taken the game to overtime. In Mile High and the momentum on I believe we win the game.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 09-16-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I was one of the ones saying no, go for tie and send it to overtime.. Then McManus missed and I was all for the Yes, another shot at the 2 point conversion... Then I loved it! Thought it was bold and liked that it showed confidence in our offense, was just nervous as it took through the fourth quarter to get our first TD ... like that both went to Sanders after the earlier interception on a throw to Sanders. I thought it showed a lot of confidence and we had that game up until the bad call on Chubb.

Super disappointing loss yesterday, but I'm not one who is throwing in the towel already for the Broncos season. If they went for the win vs an extra point in future.... I'm all for that.
    Fangio just couldn’t believe his offense could march down the field if they even got a shot in overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So gang, did you like the gutsy 2 point call, to go for the win?

Last year when other coaches went for the 2 pointer win, I seem to remember lots of criticism, especially when it did not work. My gut tells me a lot of fans love it, WHEN it works.

I think Fangio is trying to send a message. And I am ok with that type of call, because a tie only gives you about a 50% chance to win, typically that would be resolved in OT, but...they scored the winning FG prior to. For me, if you believe in your play design, and your ability to produce, you go for it, because a single extra point does not win you the game. Now, if your team has been faltering in pressure situations, the tie is not a foolish idea. Live another set of downs or more.

But the real question is not whether you liked the outcome of it yesterday, but were you on board when we went for it....not knowing the outcome?

Then again, it was a strange ending....2 point conversion, which is penalized, which turns into a missed extra point, which was penalized, to return the ball to the 1 yard line, which prompted the 2 point attempt, again. Strange brew!!
    It was refreshing. When was the last time we had a coach that made a gutsy call at the right time and it made a difference. Those situational plays they practice during the week, well that was a chance to see if it will work in a game.
    BCMB Div 1 - Rollin' with Mahomies

If it works you're a genius, if it doesn't, you're an idiot. I personally think it is a case by case judgement call based on how the flow of the game is going, and I think in that specific situation it was a great call. As the coach said, would he do it again, it depends, but I love the commitment to being aggressive, and it appears he backed up what he has been preaching all off-season, so I like it. The fan base has clamoured for an aggressive head coach for years now, so I would assume most are happy with going for it.

Good discussion folks! And I do respect those who admit they did not like the call, even though it worked. If there was a meter of some sort, I'd like to see what people think of such calls the moment the call to go for it happens. No time to think about it, or reflect on it after the play happens. That's not much less time than the coach actually has to make the decision....unless they take a time out, or penalties occur.

And if so, I have a hunch that even though loads of folks may not like the call, the overall energy level likely goes upward, in anticipation of the outcome. The entertainment value tends to rise.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the TV cameras caught multiple coaches on the sidelines extending with 2 fingers immediately after the score, long before the commentators noticed it. So they were planning to go for 2 if the drive ended in a touchdown. It wasn't an in the moment decision. I still like it, and as others have mentioned, I'm sure some of the decision came from knowing the team hasn't gotten off to a good start, and there was little to lose. It was definitely exciting in the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the TV cameras caught multiple coaches on the sidelines extending with 2 fingers immediately after the score, long before the commentators noticed it. So they were planning to go for 2 if the drive ended in a touchdown. It wasn't an in the moment decision. I still like it, and as others have mentioned, I'm sure some of the decision came from knowing the team hasn't gotten off to a good start, and there was little to lose. It was definitely exciting in the moment!
    On second thought, what I said is incorrect. In most situations late in the game, the coaches have a plan to either go for it or not. Clearly they are preoccupied with scoring the TD first, but yes, coaches should be ready in advance. The point I was making is that I'd love to see what we'd do, if we had the decision to make, 1 point or 2. It's great to judge the decision after the play is over, but coaches don't have that liberty. You go, or you no go. And you will likely be criticized if you come out on the low side of the score.....no matter how logical the decision.

Big bucks, right!!