Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,869
    We should have hired a young offensive mind and Chuck Pagano as DC. Signed a ILB

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    B-more, not less
    Posts
    4,981
    I don't think people realize that full rebuilds take a lot of time and aren't guaranteed to work. When you ditch all your veterans from a locker room and replace them with young guys you miss a lot of what makes a team a team. Older vets who can still play can show younger guys how to prepare, how to be a pro, how to win. When you do what Miami does, it sounds really nice that they have so many draft picks and so much cap space next season. At some point that cap space has to be used, and they will have to overpay veterans who otherwise don't want to show up to a losing team, and who don't know the lockerroom chemistry.

    CHJ, Von, and Wolfe have been huge pieces for us on defense. Draft picks don't always and everywhere pan out. A team that learns how to win together and misses out on a couple mid-round picks is in much better shape the next season than a team that full tanks and has 9 picks instead of 7 in the next draft.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,068
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    I don't think people realize that full rebuilds take a lot of time and aren't guaranteed to work. When you ditch all your veterans from a locker room and replace them with young guys you miss a lot of what makes a team a team. Older vets who can still play can show younger guys how to prepare, how to be a pro, how to win. When you do what Miami does, it sounds really nice that they have so many draft picks and so much cap space next season. At some point that cap space has to be used, and they will have to overpay veterans who otherwise don't want to show up to a losing team, and who don't know the lockerroom chemistry.

    CHJ, Von, and Wolfe have been huge pieces for us on defense. Draft picks don't always and everywhere pan out. A team that learns how to win together and misses out on a couple mid-round picks is in much better shape the next season than a team that full tanks and has 9 picks instead of 7 in the next draft.
    That's where weve struggled most. When we lost our leadership in the lockerrom we expect next man up. However, Harris and Miller do not have the same qualities in leadership that a Ward or Ware had and we didnt have anyone to step up for Trevathan. Talib became the dominant personality on D and the team took on his personality without a players coach allowing them to set a tone.

    We are a team that struggles with its identity. We have players constantly out of position, players missing tackles and rarely anyone to help when it happens. Weve lost our C who was the dominant personality on the O line and we see a lot of struggles because the lack of on field leadership doesn't push them. Fangio does a lot of yelling on the sidelines but without the players to help out it goes in and out the ears of the players.

    You can draft leadership but without the experience it becomes hard for them to lead. We made an effort to get that leadership through FA in the SB run and that is why it was successful. We did not have the quality then and we do not now

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jack Del Rio-ville, FL
    Posts
    2,427
    I think I would have used the money for Kareem Jackson elsewhere.

    I also would have not used the 2nd round pick on Drew Lock.

    Dexter Lawrence at #10 would have helped massively inside.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    california
    Posts
    1,967
    I would have liked to have D.Bush @ 10 however I think Fant will blossom into a really good TE. If we go Bush @ 10 we dont get Risner and Lock in 2nd . I believe we have 3 players who will be assets to this team. We need to build a strong line on both sides to support Lock .

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,068
    Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    I would have liked to have D.Bush @ 10 however I think Fant will blossom into a really good TE. If we go Bush @ 10 we dont get Risner and Lock in 2nd . I believe we have 3 players who will be assets to this team. We need to build a strong line on both sides to support Lock .
    The funny thing was if Bush went to Tampa and White had fell we would of grabbed White. Which shows we were interested in an elite ILB but only 1 of them. However, we used the picks from Pitt to have the extra 2nd and then traded up Lock
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 10-01-2019 at 03:28 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    222
    with all our second second round pick I would have taken Zach Allen and picked up Jared Stidham later in the draft. I would have also taken undrafted free agents Benzschawel OG and TE Parham out of Stetson. One of the wide receivers from Ohio State Campbell or McLaurin would have been nice.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,370
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Elway did spend the off-season building up the line. Signed James and drafted Risner. Nobody can blame him for sticking with Bolles. By signing munchak he was supposed to rework his poor mechanics. It's clear bolles is uncoachable and we need to look for his replacement now.
    True story. Wish we could trade for Cody Ford of Buffalo.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, Washington
    Posts
    3,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
    The funny thing was if Bush went to Tampa and White had fell we would of grabbed White. Which shows we were interested in an elite ILB but only 1 of them. However, we used the picks from Pitt to have the extra 2nd and then traded up Lock
    Just out of curiosity JosheCalpoly, how do you know this for fact?
    New England Patriots GM

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Just out of curiosity JosheCalpoly, how do you know this for fact?
    Well they were going to take Bush if they were forced to pick there. I think it was cbssports who reported this when they drafted Fant. So if White was above Bush on the board then itís likely they wouldíve took him there, but that would likely mean we take Lock and donít get Risner

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,363
    I'll fast forward the present time and answer it then.

    In 2020 we should have solidified the OL and drafted:
    (Fanspeak/User voted)

    R1 OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia
    R2 OG/C Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin
    R3 OG/C Darryl Williams, Mississippi State
    R3 OT/G Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon
    R4 OG Jon Runyan, Michigan
    R5 OT/G Scott Frantz, Kansas State

    OL Depth
    Thomas / Bolles
    Risner / Williams
    Biadasz / Williams
    Runyan / Frantz
    James or Throckmorton

    (Leary released)

    Overkill...yes!
    However, the OL would be set for years under Lock and Lindsay.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,068
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Well they were going to take Bush if they were forced to pick there. I think it was cbssports who reported this when they drafted Fant. So if White was above Bush on the board then itís likely they wouldíve took him there, but that would likely mean we take Lock and donít get Risner
    It was widely reported, but yes several reports did say we would of drafted Bush if we couldn't drop back. Pitt was reported before the draft trying to find a way to trade up and likely to do so for Bush, which is what happened so we made our move. White was reported top their draft board by a few outlets (though not sure where Bush was), and we reportedly were high on Reddick in 2017, but it does not seem the ILB of our choosing falls to us when we want them.

    However, I am glad we got Risner, our D scheme requires a lot more help inside then we have (everywhere on the field) but I really like how this kid plays so in the end I happy we traded back.
    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 10-09-2019 at 04:40 PM.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    7,742
    Ray Bradbury over Noah fant would have been nice

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    I'll fast forward the present time and answer it then.

    In 2020 we should have solidified the OL and drafted:
    (Fanspeak/User voted)

    R1 OT Andrew Thomas, Georgia
    R2 OG/C Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin
    R3 OG/C Darryl Williams, Mississippi State
    R3 OT/G Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon
    R4 OG Jon Runyan, Michigan
    R5 OT/G Scott Frantz, Kansas State

    OL Depth
    Thomas / Bolles
    Risner / Williams
    Biadasz / Williams
    Runyan / Frantz
    James or Throckmorton

    (Leary released)

    Overkill...yes!
    However, the OL would be set for years under Lock and Lindsay.
    👌🏼
    Weíd have a problem in the future with contracts then. Lol

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,363
    Quote Originally Posted by DN1218 View Post
    ����
    We’d have a problem in the future with contracts then. Lol
    Not unless we have a GM who is effective at cap management and plans for it.

    I'd like to think Elway is said GM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •