Has the NFL got a big player problem, and how to solve it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bronx_2003
    Banned User
    • Oct 2003

Has the NFL got a big player problem, and how to solve it ?

The NFL has always had money as a big factor, as in most sports, but lately it is getting out of control. Players seem to be doing whatever they like and getting away with it.

Leveon Bell left Pittsburgh in the lurch and sat on his backside for a year, did he pay a price for that ? Nope. Some desperate team caved in and gave him a big contract.

Antonio Brown was nothing short of disgraceful. After playing up in Pittsburgh he was a nightmare in Oakland to a team who had given up a round 1 pick and a big contract to put some faith in him. He couldn't be bothered to train it seemed after the stupid helmet stuff and then abused the GM. He really should of been made an example of but the following day he was cut NE stooped pretty low IMO and picked him up. Yea he lost a little money but his behavior should not of been ignored so quickly.

Now Ramsey is shouting about a trade just because his team is struggling. Rather then facing a tricky time with the team that drafted and coached him and coming out the other side he is just screaming about going somewhere else like a baby.

I watch Football, Cricket, some Rugby, and while money is brought up sometimes it really is not a focal point. We are allowed to watch the season just discussing and hearing about the teams and matches upcoming and the sport side of it. Then there are transfers in the off-season.

Rarely will a player hand in a transfer request and if they do its normally a top player at a mid level side just wanting to progress his career, and they do not scream and act like a baby about it. Often they happily play out the season and then move after their club gets a good offer.

I don't mean to sound rude but I honestly think its because the NFL is an American sport and the media are obsessed with the 'almighty dollar' and it seems like a never ending carousel of players whinging about money or the media talking about how a player is doing well or hitting their stats for a big pay day, rather then how their team is progressing.

Why can't the NFL just follow other sports and stop talking about contracts and money until the off-season. The trade window should only be in the off-season and during the season the only talk should be about the 'sport' that we follow.

I guess what I'm saying is I find it sad that I can happily watch other sports and just enjoy the playing side of it yet the NFL and the media are constantly obsessed with the business side of it and banging on about money money money all the time.
  • beastlyskronk
    Football Immortal
    • Jun 2007

I wouldn’t say ramsey is shouting about wanting to be traded, he said yesterday he specifically asked his agent and the team to keep it away from the media to not distract the team and that as long as he’s still in a Jacksonville he wants to keep playing.

But yes the NFL is terrible about players complaining about money. With the salary cap rising every year it’ll only get worse. Top 5-10 players are always setting and resetting the market and everyone feels like they aren’t being paid according to their talent level. I do think it’s coming to a head this season because of Earl Thomas last season. Earl held out, eventually reported and then broke his leg while not having the long term security he wanted that would’ve came with a new contract. I don’t think Bell holds out the whole season of Thomas didn’t get hurt.

I expect it to get addressed in the next CBA. Idk if going to a more NBA esque model is the answer where you’re locked into a certain tier based on years played and accolades accomplished but I’d expect something similar.

But I still can’t fault players for holding out or asking to be traded/released. They’re just doing what they think will maximize their value in the long term. Regardless of the dollar amount, the majority of people do that in some way.

Comment

• bronx_2003
      Banned User
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      I wouldn’t say ramsey is shouting about wanting to be traded, he said yesterday he specifically asked his agent and the team to keep it away from the media to not distract the team and that as long as he’s still in a Jacksonville he wants to keep playing.

But yes the NFL is terrible about players complaining about money. With the salary cap rising every year it’ll only get worse. Top 5-10 players are always setting and resetting the market and everyone feels like they aren’t being paid according to their talent level. I do think it’s coming to a head this season because of Earl Thomas last season. Earl held out, eventually reported and then broke his leg while not having the long term security he wanted that would’ve came with a new contract. I don’t think Bell holds out the whole season of Thomas didn’t get hurt.

I expect it to get addressed in the next CBA. Idk if going to a more NBA esque model is the answer where you’re locked into a certain tier based on years played and accolades accomplished but I’d expect something similar.

But I still can’t fault players for holding out or asking to be traded/released. They’re just doing what they think will maximize their value in the long term. Regardless of the dollar amount, the majority of people do that in some way.
      They go about it the wrong way though constantly being asked to be paid more or holding out if they don't get there own way, and they get paid to play and not sit on their backsides and then get paid anyway. So what if theres a small risk of injury, thats sport and what they are getting paid for.

I'll give you a football example as this is what happens 95% of the time when a player wants to move (which is fairly rare in itself).

Coutinho played for Liverpool but in the summer of 2017 Barcelona made an offer to buy him, it was rejected but Coutinho wanted to move and put in a transfer request. Liverpool explained that they understood he wanted to move but needed the right offer and would not sell him until the next transfer window in January.

For the next 5 months Coutinho said nothing, trained hard, and played really well for Liverpool. Then in January Barcelona made an improved bid and Coutinho signed for them. He left on good terms with the team and fans.

I would love to see this happen in the NFL rather then players holding out, always wanting to rip up their contract, or blasting their team or coach on twitter and demanding a trade.

I enjoy the NFL, I just think its comes over as greedy and sleazy sometimes..... and that sometimes is starting to get more frequent and I think that is a real shame.

Comment

Working...
      X