Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Another thing to ponder with the Ravens success, not only did they build their offense around Jackson to accentuate what he does best, but they also built an offense that is a complete 180 from what the rest of the NFL is doing. Defenses are gearing up to stop passing attacks these days and since teams have gone to a passing approach on offense their offenses have been geared towards that. The Ravens have turned back the hands of time and are going with a physical smash mouth approach with a lot of big strong physical players.

The offense itself isn’t revolutionary but the timing of it is what makes it so hard to defend. Teams just aren’t built to stop that run game.
    You are so right....a new look QB that is given the opportunity to max out, with a solid run game, and also a solid D. Too many obstacles in trying to defeat this team. Even if Jackson is having an ordinary game, I can see this team winning playoff games.

And definitely kudos to the Ravens brass for drafting the guy, and then giving him the keys to the family car.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    If your talking about 'mobile' as in they use their legs to escape pressure and throw on the run or out of the pocket then yes I agree with all of them, but I only consider LJ as a running QB. The others might take off occasionally but they are passing QB's who can use their legs. If they did not have a great arm and passing ability and be able to scan the field as they do then they would be nothing.

To illustrate my point, LJ had over 1200 yards rushing this season. The other 3 were - 400ish, 342, and 218
    So Bronxie….would you not agree with this statement:

These 4 pro bowlers - Jackson, Wilson, Watson and Mahomes are all very capable passers and runners?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    It is a fine line, but I believe QBs are becoming better equipped to throw and run of late. Jackson is an anomaly, given no one has ever been as effective in one season (IMO) with his legs and arm. But I am talking about QBs who can run with some skill. Looking at the game today, Josh Allen certainly is included in the conversation. And Wilson has long been one of those players. I see more of it these days.
    Yea a lot of QB's in the league are more athletic now, even QB's like Dalton, Carr, Hodges, Mayfield, etc............ but ultimately QB's like Mahomes and Wilson go to another level because of their passing abilities.

LJ is the only one I think is as good a runner as a passer, probably more so, and they have done an excellent job in Baltimore of creating an offense for him. I still think it will be interesting how he performs next season when teams have a full season of tape on him and how to defend this type of option offense.

So Bronxie….would you not agree with this statement:

These 4 pro bowlers - Jackson, Wilson, Watson and Mahomes are all very capable passers and runners?
    Yep they are, and as I stated above QB's like Dalton, Mayfield, and Duck Hodges are all capable with their legs, but its not a few runs here and there that make PM and Wilson the pro bowl QB's they are, its because they are excellent at being a QB....... reading the game and dissecting D's through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Yep they are, and as I stated above QB's like Dalton, Mayfield, and Duck Hodges are all capable with their legs, but its not a few runs here and there that make PM and Wilson the pro bowl QB's they are, its because they are excellent at being a QB....... reading the game and dissecting D's through the air.
    Well then, lets just say I don't define a passing/mobile QB the way you do. The league is full of passing/running QBs who are making the game harder to defend, and possibly more exciting. I think this is going to be the way of the future, unless of course it reverts back like I mentioned in my first post.

FTR....I am not saying that QBs are going run first, even though Jackson appears to be at times. But even he has proven to have a good arm, and has thrown a ton of TD passes. I am saying that this "style" of QB embraces the passing arm, the athleticism, and the ability to run. And yes, while seeing the field, thinking pass and run.

Well then, lets just say I don't define a passing/mobile QB the way you do. The league is full of passing/running QBs who are making the game harder to defend, and possibly more exciting. I think this is going to be the way of the future, unless of course it reverts back like I mentioned in my first post.

FTR....I am not saying that QBs are going run first, even though Jackson appears to be at times. But even he has proven to have a good arm, and has thrown a ton of TD passes. I am saying that this "style" of QB embraces the passing arm, the athleticism, and the ability to run. And yes, while seeing the field, thinking pass and run.
    I like athleticism and being able to escape the pocket and roll out, throw on the run, and occasionally take off for a first down, but fundamentally a QB has to be able to play the position by reading the D, lining the players up, audibles, and above all have accuracy........ or you get someone like Duck Hodges who is agile and runs a bit but has terrible accuracy.

Mobility is good as another tool for a guy who can play QB at a high level.

Josh Allen is a good example of a young QB who has a good arm and mobility, he took off for a few runs today, and he is a young dude with potential but his accuracy needs to improve big time, he missed too many throws and his limitations meant the Bills failed to put Houston away.

This isnít so much about young QBs but weíre starting to see the NFL cycle back to strong running attacks. The Bills made the playoffs because Josh Allen is a threat running (and catching apparently) and a strong defense. The Texans donít come back without Watsonís legs. Russell Wilson puts up great numbers but thatís a running team. The Vikings got a career year out of Dalvin Cook and made the playoffs with Thielen banged up and Diggs battling consistency, last year they missed out despite great years from their WRs. The Packers put an emphasis on running the ball and got Rodgers through the season healthy and age looks like itís caught up to him, they probably donít make it flinging the ball 50 times a game. But the biggest example of course is the Titans pounding the Patriots into submission with Derek Henry. Defenses now arenít equipped to stop a 240-250 lb RB like that for 4 quarters.

And now back to mobile QBs. If Josh Allen wasnít good running the ball the Bills would probably be looking to bring in some competition for him this offseason. But he led his team to the playoffs and as a result he gets more time to continue to try and hone his passing ability as the unquestioned starter. If he improves some more next season he will likely be the guy for the next 10 years. Some guys donít ever develop into a great passer but they get the time that pocket QBs donít tend to get. Josh Rosen probably wonít get another shot to start, heís likely a career backup at this point even though I still think he can be the guy for a team. Mobile QBs tend to get a longer leash because they donít always have to pass to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Good one!

What Derek Henry is looking like to defenders...

(Henry's on the left!)

Are we talking "Embracing The Mobile QB...in Brady's case, Leaving the pats (as mobile as he gets)!"

If Brady leaves, I can see a lot of folks in New England becoming mobile quickly. Including his offensive coordinator who is a proven failure without Brady holding his hand. Man I was wishing McDaniels found his way into the Cleveland job, his little man syndrome would of seen him clashing heads left and right before trying to ship everyone out of town.

If Brady leaves, I can see a lot of folks in New England becoming mobile quickly. Including his offensive coordinator who is a proven failure without Brady holding his hand. Man I was wishing McDaniels found his way into the Cleveland job, his little man syndrome would of seen him clashing heads left and right before trying to ship everyone out of town.
    I was going to add that I could see a lot of NE fans being mobile too, as they look for another local team to keep them happy.

But boy, isn't it nice not to have to hear about them and watch these playoffs. I love that other teams are getting their share of attention. Methinks the years of glory are "whining" in patsland (as are the fans).

I was going to add that I could see a lot of NE fans being mobile too, as they look for another local team to keep them happy.

But boy, isn't it nice not to have to hear about them and watch these playoffs. I love that other teams are getting their share of attention. Methinks the years of glory are "whining" in patsland (as are the fans).
    It is nice to see another AFC team knock the Pats out of the playoffs. Since 2012 only the Broncos been doing it beside Titans now..
    Champ Bailey is the only player in NFL history to earn 200+ (203) Passes Defended
    Terrell Davis is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (97.5)

I think this article sheds a similar light on my take...though goes into more depth. Please read if you get a chance. The emphasis on QBs and athleticism is quite clear, to the younger levels. There's also an interesting take on the Wing Back position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ns-renaissance

Here's a small part of the article...

A revolution is occurring at the game's most important position -- and it was on full display last weekend.

At "NFL Honors" on Saturday night, Lamar Jackson became the second unanimous MVP in NFL history, while Kyler Murray surprisingly ran away with the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. One night later, Patrick Mahomes was named Super Bowl LIV MVP.

The prototype for NFL quarterbacks has been changing in recent years, but those two nights really cemented the transition. Now it's time for the football world to acknowledge -- and embrace -- the new landscape of the position.

The top QBs in the game today are breaking traditional norms, and inherently changing the way scouts evaluate the position. Instead of looking for polished pocket passers with textbook footwork and mechanics, talent evaluators and coaches are more willing to take chances on raw athletes and build around their strengths as explosive playmakers.

"This movement has been in the works for years," an AFC assistant college scouting director told me. "It is the trickle-up effect. High schools and colleges are putting their best athletes at quarterback and letting them run around to make plays. The NFL has started to adapt because these guys are entering the league and making the same kinds of plays. Plus, the speed and athleticism of the defensive linemen force you to play with a mobile quarterback or a guy that gets the ball out of his hands quickly.

"Quarterbacks have to be more than traditional pocket passers to play in this league. You need athletes who can make plays with their minds, arm and legs."
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-08-2020 at 10:36 AM.