Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are the differences between Wade Phillips defensive scheme compared to Fangio's?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

You mean besides the fact the Wades worked?????
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Wade likes to blitz, whereas Fangio doesn't. Seems that Vic likes to really drop in coverage on third and longs, whereas Wade would like to bring the house.

Talib looked pretty darn good last night. I noticed Roby is playing well with the Texans. Arggggg
    Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Wade likes to blitz, whereas Fangio doesn't. Seems that Vic likes to really drop in coverage on third and longs, whereas Wade would like to bring the house.
    Yep, and Fangio might need to start blitzing once in a while now if he wants a legit pass rush.

Not sure if it was Wade or our collection of guys but we played man to man defense most of the time with Wade. Vic is based on zone. Both do a little of the other too though
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

Wade is a great DC. He is excellent with blitz schemes. He also had a great roster here with an excellent secondary. The cupboard is getting bare. Our starters are only so-so and we have no depth. I think Wade was a better DC all around, but the talent on this current team is way below par.

Wade was far more aggressive. He had more speed, smarter players and more DEPTH.

His DL had Malik and Wofle.
    He had Trev and Marshall
    DWare and Von with Shaq
    No Fly Zone

He played a lot of man, and was't afraid to press coverage. He let Von and DWare just go for it,
    He found out what each player was best at and put them in a position to do that.

I am honestly perplexed by Fangio. His defense looks a lot like Del Rio's.

Man vs zone vs press vs... doesn't matter in the big picture. What matters are the players a coach has and how they work in their system or a coaches ability to adapt them to fit in the scheme. Wade has had a lot of recent success but had had his ups and downs. Fangio had some stellar years in Chicago but not so great years elsewhere.

We should have a fairly good front line but have not created much pressure and that is highly concerning because it doesn't make sense. Our run defense was suspect even before the season began with injury and personnel so I am not that surprised - ILB has been a need for some time. Our secondary... meh.. caught a bad break to a key piece with Callahan out and depth has clearly been an issue.

I'd like to see more blitzes and not just because. Fangio likes to hide what the defense is doing and I think throwing more blitzes in ought to cause more disruption to the offense trying to counter by having to consider where extra pressure might be coming from. I think he has been playing too conservative and playing defense on defense rather than attacking more.

He's made adjustments, perhaps too slow for us fans. More press or man isn't the answer if your young CB is slow to react - he's actually split coverage with Harris in press man coverage on one side of the field and Yiadom off the ball with the safety moved on his side for extra protection, just as an example, in the Raiders game. The problem is that isn't the singular problem, it's the scheme as a whole that is not working, not just the secondary.

Bring more heat up front, stunts, blitzes, etc, not to replace but to augment. More pressure on the QB on passing downs will clean up things in the secondary. They might get burned for a big play here and there but how is that really different from what we are seeing already?

Fangio's scheme is to keep everything in front of the defense and read and react. It results in turnovers, but everything is based on getting pressure without blitzing.

Wade's scheme is about making an offense react to what his defense is doing. It's about playing man, playing tight coverage and making the QB panic and make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by justabroncosfan View Post
    Talib, Trevathan, Jackson, Ward.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Words escape me...

Vic Fangio, on @KOAColorado, talking about the Broncos’ lack of sacks/takeaways: “Some of it is the way teams have played us, and some of it is (because) we haven’t played well enough to stop the way teams have played us.”

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/st...574905856?s=19
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

Lol oh c’mon, if Wade was still here, you’d all be complaining about him, saying things like “I wish we could get that Fangio guy over her from Chicago”

You all know it’s true...

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    You mean besides the fact the Wades worked?????
    This is what seems to be the big diff. We need more blitzes!!!! Wade scheme was so much better. Players moving around before snap. Faking blitz or a real blitz? QB's don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by justabroncosfan View Post
    Wade is really good at building a system that fits the players he has.

I am not too sure how many coaches in the NFL can do this.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy