Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    25

    Is Fangio doing too much

    I do not post much, and learn a lot from all of you. I found myself thinking that maybe being the head coach and the defensive coach is too much. I think the game plan on D is suffering and they are not prepared. There seems to be a lot more talent and expectations for the D than what is happening on the field.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by whynot162 View Post
    I do not post much, and learn a lot from all of you. I found myself thinking that maybe being the head coach and the defensive coach is too much. I think the game plan on D is suffering and they are not prepared. There seems to be a lot more talent and expectations for the D than what is happening on the field.
    I posed nearly this very same thing in another thread.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,611
    He's never called plays from the sideline before.

    The biggest worry for me is not learning from plays that haven't previously worked in the same game. Yesterday against the Packers, the Broncos only rushed three on a 3rd and 15, which resulted in no pressure on Rodgers, allowing him the time to find a man down the field and pick up the first down. A short while later, the Packers faced 3rd and 20, and the Broncos rushed three again. The Packers didn't convert the third down on this occasion, but they weren't far away.

    In his postgame press conference, I think Rodgers made a comment on his jersey being the cleanest it's ever been after a game.
    Last edited by Bootleg; 09-23-2019 at 10:21 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    where the hills touch heaven
    Posts
    16,003
    I have been saying this since week one


    Fangio is a DC that calls the defense from the booth

    he is now the head coach calling the defense from the field...it isn't working

    he needs to relegate the defensive play calling to the DC who is in the booth and stick to being the head coach

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,365
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    I have been saying this since week one


    Fangio is a DC that calls the defense from the booth

    he is now the head coach calling the defense from the field...it isn't working

    he needs to relegate the defensive play calling to the DC who is in the booth and stick to being the head coach
    Do we have a DC? I didn't even realize we have one. Wow, am I out of touch. Good suggestion though. I hope it happens because this defense is just sad and they are being asked to do things that are not in their wheelhouse.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,601
    Quote Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
    I have been saying this since week one


    Fangio is a DC that calls the defense from the booth

    he is now the head coach calling the defense from the field...it isn't working

    he needs to relegate the defensive play calling to the DC who is in the booth and stick to being the head coach
    What IS Donatell doing? Making the coffee and collecting a DC check for it? Let him call the plays --it can't be much worse!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,308
    I do not think our defense is aggressive enough.

    Not sure what Vic and his staff are coaching players to do. It reminds me of something I herd some of these same players comparing other DCs where some defensive coaches like players to read and react and some defensive coaches just want to attack the offense.

    It just does not feel like as a whole our defense is attacking like I have seen these players attack before.
    All I want for Christmas is a Bronco QB controversy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I do not think our defense is aggressive enough.

    Not sure what Vic and his staff are coaching players to do. It reminds me of something I herd some of these same players comparing other DCs where some defensive coaches like players to read and react and some defensive coaches just want to attack the offense.

    It just does not feel like as a whole our defense is attacking like I have seen these players attack before.
    Agreed. No pressure. Linebackers drop into coverage and have to adjust to the offense instead of the offense having to adjust to blitzes.... And it's not working.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...amp69/asdf.jpg
    And yes it is a scheme problem.
    Adopted player Lindsey

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    132
    Hahahahaha….Doing too much, good one!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,754
    I am always in the camp of having a head coach who just oversees everything, and doesn't call plays, but we done enough on the defensive side to beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers in Greenbay, the offense is the reason we lost. We gave up 10 points off of turnovers against the Packers, and outside of the one huge chunk play on the opening possession, we stifled the Packers attack for majority of that football game, I was happy with the defensive improvement shown.

    But, this idea that this defense is still ultra talented, and under achieving, it's a load of you know what. The same non-sense was spouted endlessly last year when every man and his dog blamed the coaches for everything, it's not true. Look at our lineup, look along the defensive line, look at our inside linebackers, look at our cornerback depth, look at the safeties, most of the players are not starting for high calibar defenses. Talent wise we can be competitive, but we will not be dominant like fans are hoping for with the guys we have.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,754
    Much worse ? Are we expecting the dominance of the 2015 defense with a roster only half as talented ? I think for the group of guys we have, the results on defense against Aaron Rodgers were pretty damn good. Obviously we are lacking the big time plays, interceptions, sacks, fumbles forced, etc. but I put that on our players not making plays, the coaches are not responsibility for that in my opinion.

    But, think about the gifts of field position the offense gave to Greenbay, and then consider outside of that we held Aaron Rodgers to only 17 points in the game, that's pretty good. The defense done a great job of getting off the field on 3rd downs, the Packers were 22% on 3rd downs, that is great. We held their run game to an average of 3.3 yards per carry, again, a solid result. I think our defense is doing enough to keep us competitive in these games, especially the last 2 weeks where I believe we have been greatly improved from week 1.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,601
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Much worse ? Are we expecting the dominance of the 2015 defense with a roster only half as talented ? I think for the group of guys we have, the results on defense against Aaron Rodgers were pretty damn good. Obviously we are lacking the big time plays, interceptions, sacks, fumbles forced, etc. but I put that on our players not making plays, the coaches are not responsibility for that in my opinion.

    But, think about the gifts of field position the offense gave to Greenbay, and then consider outside of that we held Aaron Rodgers to only 17 points in the game, that's pretty good. The defense done a great job of getting off the field on 3rd downs, the Packers were 22% on 3rd downs, that is great. We held their run game to an average of 3.3 yards per carry, again, a solid result. I think our defense is doing enough to keep us competitive in these games, especially the last 2 weeks where I believe we have been greatly improved from week 1.
    Nobody is expecting 2015 dominance, I certainly didn't write nor imply that anywhere.

    If one player like Miller wasn't getting sacks or FF's while others were, you might have a point, but when an entire unit is under performing, it mostly points to the HC/DC. Even with a couple roster holes, we should be getting something, or dialing up some blitzes. We need the big plays, they change momentum, and can mean the difference between winning and losing these close games. Imagine if we could have created turnovers in any of the last three.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,754
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Nobody is expecting 2015 dominance, I certainly didn't write nor imply that anywhere.

    If one player like Miller wasn't getting sacks or FF's while others were, you might have a point, but when an entire unit is under performing, it mostly points to the HC/DC. Even with a couple roster holes, we should be getting something, or dialing up some blitzes. We need the big plays, they change momentum, and can mean the difference between winning and losing these close games. Imagine if we could have created turnovers in any of the last three.
    Who says they are under performing though ? You ? That is your opinion based on thinking they are more talented then they clearly are. I would say that Von Miller is under performing, maybe Bradley Chubb as well, but beyond that I wouldn't agree. In terms of team defense, we were pretty rock solid against Greenbay as I outlined. Schematically what are the coaches doing wrong then ? Besides saying "blitz more", what will better position our defenders to create turnovers and generate sacks ? Blaming coaches in my opinion is lazy and shows no understanding of what is going on out there, as is saying, blitz more.

    On the topic of "dialling up blitzes", I thought I would look back at all the chunk plays from the Greenbay game and see how the defense played. On the opening drive we "blitzed" on two occasions and gave up 56 yards on the two completions. In the second quarter the chunk play down the sideline where Harris got beat on the back shoulder throw, 22 yard completion when we "blitzed". In the 3rd quarter, the route down the sideline where Jewel got beat, it was a 26 yard completion and came against a "blitz". In the 4th quarter when it was a one possession game, after the Flacco turnover we "blitzed" on two occasions and it resulted in 2 completions for a total of 34 yards.

    So, 148 totals yards of passing offense for the Packers came against the Denver Broncos blitzing defense. Aaron Rodgers only had a total of 235 passing yards on the day, so you could say he had a field day and his most success when we went after him with more defenders. So this idea we need to blitz more to stiffen up the defense, it kind of doesn't add up based on the Greenbay game, and to me it's a lazy way of blaming coaches with no idea of whats going on.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    D-Town
    Posts
    1,522
    "I have to say, this is one of the cleanest games... it's the cleanest I think my jersey has ever looked. I think I maybe hit the ground once, took one shot. I'm ecstatic. I've been at this for a long time and to go home with my body feeling this good is a credit to the offensive line. So, I'm feeling really good. I'm going to go home and drink some scotch and watch some Philly tape." - Aaron Rodgers after facing the Broncos in week 3, 2019.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,443
    Ed Donatell has a solid record as a DC with stints in Green Bay, Atlanta and Washington. There is no reason for Fangio to call the plays with an experienced, proven DC on his staff. Donatell has arguably a better track record than Fangio. If anything Fangio could be helping Scangarello by looking for opponents defensive weaknesses during games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •